TOM & Cravings

Options
Damn TOM. It's arrival is due any day and I'm craving everything under the sun, especially sweets. How do you control these cravings and make it through this week without a gain?

Replies

• OneMission
    OneMission Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Damn TOM is right!
    I have the same problem each month...I JUST WANT TO EAT EVERYTHING UNDER THE SUN before TOM arrives.
    In the past couple years I have been talking myself out of it. Usually because the things I want have little or no nutritional value.
    :devil: Me: "Man, I want to eat that King Size Snickers bar!!!"
    :smile: Inner Me: "It'll be good at first, but then I'll crash. I'll enjoy some almonds, grapes and/or a big ol' glass of water instead"
    This usually works for me. Every so often I do give in :blushing:
    Luckily I pretty much lose my appetite when TOM arrives. It is just preparing for him that is the worst :sick:
    Hope I was of some help!
    :flowerforyou: T
  • IsabellaCullen
    Options
    I can't say for sure that I won't end this week without a gain (TOM arrived for me last night), but I can give you these tips that I try to stick to each month ....

water water water -- helps with the changes in your body make up and helps to replace the fluid loss through menstruation & the end of the built up water retention.

cinnamon gum -- this is one of my saviors. Chew a piece or two of cinnamon gum & nothing really tastes right, so you don't go reaching for the stuff that you don't want & shouldn't have!

Good luck!

I look forward to seeing what suggestions others have!
  • missyannb85
    Options
    I'm in the same boat right now. I just found the new JELLO brand Chocolate mouse cups, THEY ARE AMAZING!!! They taste like whipped chocolate pudding but they are only 60 calories. I have been guilty of eating 2 in a row but with 60 cals, you can't go wrong!!!!! Good luck too you!
  • ambersfrog
    Options
    Hi!

WoW...i know what you mean! i have the same issue and i havent quite mastered controlling those cravings. i try to make good decisions. i just try to minimize the damage by cutting in half whatever it is i would normally eat during this time. for me it is brownies that i cannot live without during my TOM, so instead of the 2 that i would munch on i'll only grab one. i know that if i dont give in a little i will eventually break and go overboard. i dont want this week to set me back in my progress but i do set the expectation with myself that it wont be as good a week as the other 3 in the month and give myself some allowances to keep me sane!

congrats on that 7 lb loss!! :happy:
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Funny you should mention cinnamon gum, I find it works for me as well. The cinnamon ruins the taste of just about anything else you'd want to eat.
  • EmilyStrick
    Options
    oh, TOM. don't you hate it? i can't say i have a whole lot of advice, as i have this problem as well. but, i do find that these things help: silk light chocolate soy milk helps me curb my chocolate cravings...i eat a lot of soup (progresso and campbell's light soups) to fill a craving for salty and i drink A LOT of water. i try to find low-cal snack items (veggies with hummus, air-popped popcorn, fruit, etc) to fill my need to munch. i also try to find things to keep my hands busy...i knit and crochet or do other crafty projects. get online...answer topics on the mfp message boards. go for a walk, play outside. it's not easy, but we have to push through somehow, huh?!??!!
  • kirra_80
    Options
    I just make sure I don't have anything in our house during that time that could get me into trouble... it's easier to avoid if I'm not around it at all! And if I'm really really craving something, then I have to get into my car and go get it, and sometimes the going through all that trouble makes the craving go away :)
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Chocolateeeeeee is what I crave the most, or chips. What I do is drink a ton of water, constantly. It keeps me full feeling and I flush out the water that my body is retaining. Just try to eat good, rounded meals so you don't feel hungry and go into a snack attack!
  • cvtga
    cvtga Posts: 118
    Options
    My solution is sugar free chocolate. Hershey special dark chocolate and reese's peanut butter cups. If I want sweet and salty I mix in a handful of peanuts with it. It gets me through my cravings.
  • fineinfinance
    Options
    I keep a bar of dark chocolate (better than milk) in the freezer. If I REALLY want it then I can break off a little square and I let it melt in my mouth. Then a glass of water and I'm good! As for the salt thing...sometimes I eat sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds, or I love sesame crackers or veggie crisps. I just read the serving size and try to go half of that.