Options

Replies

• Robinsond61
    Options
    Once you go black..
  • aegisprncs
    aegisprncs Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I've switched from half&half to organic unsweetened soy milk - it took about 2 good weeks to get used to it. I do have an afternoon cup and don't use any type of creamer, so I am thinking about kicking the creamer habit altogether.
  • mollyvon
    mollyvon Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas and insights. I put some davince sugar free coffee syrup in it and it isn't too bad; I don't think I could ever drink it just black. I will be trying several different coffee blends over the next few weeks (I have a Keurig) and see which ones I prefer. If the no-creamer doesn't work out I will be taking some of your ideas on creamer alternatives and giving them a try :)
  • B_Running
    B_Running Posts: 158
    Options
    I gave up my coffee creamer back in April mainly because of all the unnecessary additives (and also because of the calories -- I drink a lot of coffee!)

Sometimes I still miss it, but I'm an "all or nothing" type of person so I can't "treat" myself every once in a while.

I fill my creamer-void by adding some type of stevia sweetener and vanilla, almond, or coconut extract.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    They say it takes 45 days to two months to form habits. I went to all black coffee a few months ago and now I finally love it. Definitely don't bother with skim milk. First it doesn't taste very good. And for whatever reason, low fat milk is more strongly associated with obesity than whole milk, go figure.

First stop adding sugar or artifial sweetener to your coffee. Then once you get used to the coffee with just plain creamer, switch to black coffee. At first it might not taste that great, but eventually you'll get used to it. Then you can have all sorts of fun being condescending toward other people who are "molesting" their coffee.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Almond milk isn't bad in coffee. That would be lower calorie.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I gave up my coffee creamer back in April mainly because of all the unnecessary additives (and also because of the calories -- I drink a lot of coffee!)

I've recently switched to a natural diet, and as part of that I swapped out my usual Coffee Mate Sugar-Free Creamer the real deal; cream and a bit of stevia. Even though the real cream is higher in calories, it's so much more luxurious and satisfying that I find myself only having one cup instead of two.
  • Mrsfreedom41
    Mrsfreedom41 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about trying the fat free or 2% evaporated milk in the can. Going to check out the calorie count next time I go to the store. I can't drink black coffee either and I tried the almond milk, didn't like it. Will have to experiment and try to find something that I like.
  • mollyvon
    mollyvon Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    It has been a little over a month since I stopped using creamer and I have to say it is going great.
    I do still use sugar-free coffee syrup though. Thanks to all the advice and encouragement I received.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I'd rather not have coffee at all than give up the creamer. I can't stand the taste of black coffee; I wish I did.

^^this
  • DJ2120
    DJ2120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I used to like my coffee really light & sweet & each cup was around 180 calories with all the sugar & cream I would add. That's crazy! So now I use sugar free creamer which has a lot less calories than regular & Truvia sweetner. So I went from 180 calories a cup to about 30 & I enjoy it just as much. HIH :wink:
  • SweetCheekszx0
    SweetCheekszx0 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    My creamer stays!! Lol I drink Arabic hazelnut cream coffe with international delight hazelnut individual creamers.. Why not just use 1 creamer & 2 zero cal sweeteners .. If u can hack it go for it.. But I love my coffee toooooo much ????❤????
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I can't give up my creamer, either! I'm trying to stick to only one or two tablespoons a day. I also use unsweetened vanilla almond milk and the suger free syrups. For some reason, I like the suger free syrup, but not the sugar free creamer.
  • shadowkitty22
    shadowkitty22 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I've personally found that if my coffee grounds are properly measured for the amount of coffee I'm actually going to be drinking that the amount of creamer I use goes down. I now have only 15 calories worth of creamer in my coffee. :) Of course, if I was really good I would go back to no coffee every day but I figure for only 15 calories, I can totally handle that, especially since most afternoons I'm just dead on my feet and that's when I want the cup of coffee.
  • kfeiten
    Options
    I have felt your pain and have been successful at overcoming my coffee creamer addiction. I gave it up because the first ingredient was partially hydrogenated oil and I just knew that was awful for me. The rest of the ingredients looked like a chemistry experiment and I just knew this was not the way to start the day and live a healthy lifestyle. I replaced the creamer with 2% organic milk and real table sugar. The 2% was creamy enough for the texture and the sugar sweet enough. I also add a dash of cinnamon to every cup. I'm now down to 1% organic milk as that is creamy enough. I can say that the first month SUCKED!! I thought I would never enjoy morning coffee again which was my favorite thing every morning. However, now over 2 years later, I cannot go back. I've used the vanilla creamer that I was so addicted to when it was the only thing available and I happily report, that I didn't like it. Tasted artificial and overly sweet. Good luck with your quest! I hope you have the same results as me.
  • melbatoast917
    melbatoast917 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    It depends. Do you actually like the taste of coffee or the flavored creamers themselves?
  • aidsmith
    aidsmith Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you don't actually like the taste of coffee if you must put something in it. I start every day with an espresso coffee, no additives, and I absolutely love it. The flavour is like nothing else. Try a cup of instant coffee with milk after that and it tastes like puke.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Try to drink some good coffee - identify the type of coffee you like - you'll see that you do not need creamer if it is the "right" taste for you.

I only add milk on coffee I find too bitter or burnt. Starbucks tastes "not so good" (being polite here) to me. I like a good strong sharp espresso (in France, Italy) or filterkaffee (in Germany) which tastes full and has oils and is not over-roasted. I had a "Creme" today at the corner coffee (Lille, France) simply because they can't make a decent "Serre".
  • QueenofScott
    QueenofScott Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Oh my....I can't give up my Coffee Mate. I did switch to the sugar free, though, which is not always easy to find. I only began the coffe habit two years ago, and I usually only drink one cup a day, but in the winter I might drink two cups. I add the calories from the creamer into my food diary. Good luck kicking the creamer!
  • tpow1196
    tpow1196 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    i know i should too, but dang if i don't love some coffee mate

I hear ya! I don't even log my yet because I know its going to be one of the hardest things for me to give up!