Day to day fluctuation?

Options
So, I weighed in friday morning and it showed 218 something. Down 5.2 pounds. I stepped on the scale yesterday morning for the heck of it and it's 221. Was my scale acting up Friday or is it common to fluctuate a few pounds from day to day? I didn't go over my calories and ate pretty clean. I'm not too concerned because it's still a loss regardless. Just wondering.

Replies

• pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Totally common. i posted, freaking out about a regression (218, down to 215, back up to 217!) and I sit here at 204 not too long later. Hang in there!
  • _Alkaline
    _Alkaline Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You know what helps to deal with fluctiations if you weigh yourself daily? Using a 3 day average to gauge weight. It gives you a little more stable of a number. Hmm.. I should make an excel form that does this automatically!
  • malspaugh
    Options
    Im in the same boat. Dont stress! I weigh daily but in my mind it only "counts" once a week. You will see more of a progression or plateau over a week than in a day or two. If its down I think Woo Hoo! and try to remember that decrease, if its up a little i say oh well, lets see what tomorrow looks like.
  • skolvikes5
    Options
    So, I probably was 218 at one time....sweet!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    You know what helps to deal with fluctiations if you weigh yourself daily? Using a 3 day average to gauge weight. It gives you a little more stable of a number. Hmm.. I should make an excel form that does this automatically!

I think of it this way too. I don't log a loss until I the same weight or less for three different days. For example, today I saw 145 on the scale instead of 146. I won't log it until I see it two more days, just to make sure it sticks.

Although, if you're going to get excited about an average, I recommend a monthly average. I know at least for women, our cycles throw our weight around quite a bit.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!