So...I just found out that I'm pregnant.

Options
Yes, the first thing I did was cry. But now the idea is actually pretty exciting to me; I know my fiance and I will make great parents. But anyways, the question I have is: does that means I should up my calorie intake? (Well obviously) and if so by how much? Or should I just quit counting all together...but still exercise. Need help from all the mamas out there

P.S. I'm not over-weight, I just joined MFP to tone up and be my best

EEEERERERE this is crazy!

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS!!!!!!!!

You should probably ask your doctor about calorie intake when you have your first appointment. The "eating for two" thing is a myth and is what got me into trouble - gained way too much, ended up with gestational diabetes. Finally taking the weight off, 4 years later!

As far as exercise goes, the general thought is that you can continue to do anything you were already doing before you got pregnant (maybe with modifications). So, if you are already running 2 miles three times a week, you should be good to continue. The same would go for any program/routine. Obviously, the further along you are, the more difficult some activities will become, but it's good to keep exercising - maybe just walking even. I wish I had done this!!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

You should eat as healthy as possible. And see your ob or midwife soon. They will give you good food guidelines.
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Congrats.

You don't need to up your calories. The baby will take what s/he needs. Put your settings on maintenance and eat normally. The main thing is to eat healthy and clean! Lots of veggies, iron rich foods, calcium, lots of water and eat whatever it is you are craving. I realized very quickly with both my pregnancies that if I fought a craving (regardless of how ridiculous) my craving got stronger!!

Edited: You can continue to exercise if you have already been on a routine. But you may realize you can't go as long or as strong - DON'T!! Exercise enough to stay fit (it will be much easier to lose the baby weight) - but don't over do it. The main importance is to keep baby (and you) healthy throughout the 40wks!!

I ran, walked, played volleyball and even roller bladed with my 1st until about 25wk -then just walked 2 miles 3x per week till delivery. 2nd - not so much. I was sicker than sick through 18wks then tried to exercise for about 4 weeks then started to get sick again and he dropped so it was painful to walk too far! So again....listen VERY carefuly to your body!!
  • asiabacus1
    Options
    Thank you all for the feedback! I will probably stop counting calories but just eat healthy and try to exercise 3 times a week (which should be easy because I walk everywhere). Thanks for the congrats and yes I am nervously happy (:
  • charisma103
    Options
    I'm not pregnat, nor have I ever been, but I was looking at this article today and it had some interesting information on pregnancy weight and diet.

http://pregnant.thebump.com/pregnancy/nutrition-exercise/articles/tales-from-the-scale-pregnancy-weight-gain.aspx

Most sites suggest upping calories by 300, but a lot of that depends on current health/diet etc. I think you should be able to continue exercising, as I hear it's good for labor and shedding those post baby pounds faster.

This site is really great as she has multiple posts on pregnancy (I really enjoy her other site katheats as well)

http://www.babykerf.com/

Congratulations by the way!
  • CincinnatiDEIFan
    CincinnatiDEIFan Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Go to the pharmacy and get over the counter pre natal vitamins until the doctor can write you a prescription.

Make sure you get plenty of Folic Acid.

:-)

Congrats!!!!!!
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I would consult your doctor about your diet and exercise. Every pregnancy is different. Ditto on the Folic Acid!
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you! I'd go to maintanance and eat as healthy as possible. I had HORRIBLE morning sickness(read all day, every day and night) for my entire 2nd pregnancy. I actually dropped about 15 lbs before I started to gain anything back. If you NEED a Dr. Pepper or a Taco Bell mexican pizza, have it and enjoy it. But try not to make it a daily habit;-)
    Keep exercising! Follow whatever plan you were doing prior to pregnancy and it should be ok unless you have bleeding or heavy cramping during or right after activity. Then speak with your Dr.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    My husband and I tested pregnant two weeks ago, but our confirmation appointment isn't until October 11... which is taking forever to get here!

I'd like to continue losing weight, at least in the early stages of pregnancy, but not at the expense of the baby's health. I've been eating 1500 calories a day and have been trying to work in walking daily and cardio/weights three days a week.

So far, I've had absolutely NO typical pregnancy symptoms, so it doesn't really feel real. The only time I've felt nauseaous was when my husband drives on back roads. I guess when the doctor confirms it, it will finally set in.

I have gotten a few cramps here and there, but no spotting. I should be at five weeks, two days when I post it, based on my ovulation data.

I would LOVE other prego friends on here, so please add me! It's our first baby, so I'm goign to have lots of questions and will appreciate everyone's advice!

Shannon