Hello!! My name is Kim and I'm diabetic.

Options
Hello Everyone!!

Logged on to the site for the first time today. I was introduced the site by my diabetes counselor last week. I am newly diagnose with diabetes as of Aug 22, but I'm sure I have been one for a while now. Let me tell you its been a eye opener for me because I have family members who are and I've seen the good and bad of this disease and I don't want that for myself.

Prior to this, I've been scared of food because I'm always worried about spiking. Now not as much because I went to go see a nutritionist and they walked me through what is good for me and what I should avoid and how to read the labels. If you are diabetic or think you might be see a doctor and a nutritionist, they can help.

Now one of my problems I have is I get all excited and gun ho about working out, then I get bored or tired or busy and I stop doing it. I need support to break that wall I've put up so many times and one way I feel is with support of others who are going through what I going through and together we can get through this.

I'm asking you for your support, your help and your friendship. I'll be there for you, I'll listen when you need someone to talk to and I'll be honest when it comes down to it. I just ask for the same. What do you say??

Replies

• mrykyldy2
    mrykyldy2 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I so understand what you are saying about the gym, I was going 6 days a week. But have not been in about a month. I have to get back so badly. Like you my hubby is Type 2 diabetic, it is a rough road but good to hear you are eating right, if nothing else keep eating properly.
  • sdowler1231
    Options
    Kim, happy to add you as a friend and to network with you! I'm sorry you are going through this, but the good news is that you know the challenges you face, and you CAN change your future. How exciting is that?!! This site is a fantastic tool to help keep you on track, to make you face the reality of the food choices you make, and to help you see the small successes that will add up to big changes - IF you stick with it. You have to make a commitment - starting today, and every day after this, to take control of your health and DECIDE that you are worth it. No one can make that decision for you - you have to choose your health over what others think, over bad choices, over what's easy. You will have to face some hard choices- but you have the power to make those choices and to define your future. Knowledge is power - now take control back!! Congratulations on taking the first step toward a better tomorrow.
  • raisingallboys
    raisingallboys Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Glad to have you as a friend :) We can do this together!!
  • jarrett515
    Options
    I had diabetes during my last pregnancy only to find out its not gone and I am pre-diabetic and I have to lose weight to try to get it away so I was told about this site from a friend from high school if I can figure it out I will try to add you as a friend so we can fight diabetes together =)
  • sherryireneshaw
    Options
    My name is sherry and me and my twin shelly joined this site a few months ago one of her friends form work told her about it. I have not been told by a doctor that i am diabetic but i have been watching my sugar intake and been feeling a lot better.
  • becs_91
    becs_91 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Hi Kim! Thanks for the request, you're my first friend! :) I hear ya on the working out. I get all pumped about it, go buy some new iPod arm thing, go for one run, and get bored with the whole thing. The excitement wears off quick. I'm thinking about trying Insanity or something - sounds crazy intense but fun, and I like that a program like that changes things up every day so you're not stuck doing the same repetitive workouts. Might be worth a shot?

I don't know a ton about living with diabetes, but I certainly admire your strength! My sister-in-law was diagnosed with Type 1 4 years or so ago, and I know it's a huge constant struggle.
  • allyvamp6336
    Options
    :smile: im ally my twin sister is a diabetic. found out a yr ago. were 20. we just joined a gym recently. were having the same problem. keep getting stuck and stopping for way to long. nice to know some one is having the same issues. good luck.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hi, Kim! I am a T2 diabetic, diagnosed in May 2011. I have been on MFP since May and I just got off my insulin pills last week because my BS is under control. I understand about the working out. I joined a gym a couple weeks ago to give me the motivation I need to work on strength training. Feel free to add me as a friend...I will do my best to support you!
  • KimmyG77
    KimmyG77 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hey Ally! I'm sorry to hear about your sister and so young too, just keep at it. I'm glad to hear you two joined a gym, the only thing that helped me to go, was to have my sister with me. When she moved away, I quit the gym. I just wasn't the same, I hope that you two find the motivation that we had and continue. We made it fun by getting to know the trainers and some of the other members as well. I still have some good friends from there. Sister Power!!
  • toughlovexx3
    Options
    so nice to meet you Kim. i look forward to haveing a great friendship with you and hopefully we can motivate each other along the way.

:)
  • lisalex224
    Options
    Hi everyone. My name is Lisa. I'm from Melbourne in Australia. I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes 6 weeks ago. I have dropped 9kg since then by eating 95% healthy and started walking almost daily. I am on medication for it and also for high blood pressure. I'm determined to become a lot healthier and fitter so I can stop taking all medications. I highly recommend a series of cookbooks called "Symply Too Good to be True". Not sure if they are available in the US though?? We have tried about 10 recipes so far and each one has been delicious! My hubby and 17yo son have also started cooking one night a week each so that I get a break. I refuse to eat take away food now.
    Good luck Kim! It is a path too many people (including myself) are on but we can do this!!
  • KimmyG77
    KimmyG77 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'll tell you one thing Lisa, I will never forget your name. My oldest sister and best friend are named Lisa. :0) I want to say Thank you for sharing your story. I guess we are both newbies to the site and to diabetes. It's crazy how it can change your life and for the better.

If you like and have the time you can message me and share a receipt or two or let me know if you find it on the web. I got some diabetic receipt books from my nutritious, I haven't had the chance to try but when I do I will let you know.
  • dartchik
    Options
    Hi Kim, my name is Kelly and I was diagnosed with T2 diabetes in May 2012. I am having a really difficult time getting my blood sugars under control. Part of that is due to not eating health all the time but I also notice that starches really spike my blood sugars even when I am eating healthy. Could definitely use some support from others with diabetes to help me stay on track with the healthy eating path.