Lunchtime Lottery

Options
I'm still fairly new here, but wanted to share something I've been doing to better align myself with how to eat better. For breakfast I'm mostly eating sensible, but for lunch I'm going to all the places I'd normally go and eat the things I'd normally eat. I then make sure to record exactly what I had for lunch. It's like the lottery for food. Sometimes lunch will be up around 1000+ calories and others are between 400-600. It's really surprising some of the things you'd think are good and healthful are completely the opposite. Anyway, after lunch I already know what I can get away with for dinner and/or how much exercise I'll need to do.

This might not be a good idea for many of you, but it's what I've been playing with. If you're down to around 1,400 calories a day I would NOT suggest this. It's something to try when you're still a long way from your goal weight. Sometimes I win the lottery (Taco Bell $5 box is under 800 calories) and sometimes I lose (Tropical Smoothie's Smoothie and a wrap is around 1100 calories).

Replies

• angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your plan :)
    It''s not the way for me..I am trying to eat out less, no fried food, less processed, but we all have out own journeys..oh and I am trying to stick to 1400-1600..I have to plan and measure everything out..but the journey is meant to be a personal one, do what works for u!
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    Six pounds so far. I just make little adjustments every time something is "too much" and move forward.
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Will you make adjustments as you go to these places...meaning make some healthy choices at those sites or mix it like bring half of lunch and something at one of those places?
  • reneemlt2k
    reneemlt2k Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting and concentrating on logging food for now. My husband is on board with me and it's fun to see the difference sometimes. I'll order from the 'light menu' and he'll order what he wants. A few times my 'light' item has more calories than his, and one night we found a 500 calorie difference between our salads.
    I'm not thin enough for surprise calories to throw me off and it is a good learning experience.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    I'll be changing things while still going to the same places. But not so much as to be nothing but a "salad eater".

Tonight, for example, I went to Texas Roadhouse for a banquet-type thing. This could have been a complete mess, right? I got away with only 863 calories consumed, including a 12 ounce ribeye. That little experiment cements the concept that "it's all in the sides".
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Yep, I agree - it's all in the sides!

It makes sense to see where you are in terms of calorie intake, and then you know where you stand and can make changes accordingly. I think you're wise to take it slow and make small changes. It's a marathon not a sprint, and each little change will add up to a healthier lifestyle.

Good for you!