Eating way too much sodium daily, PLEASE HELP!

Options
I really could use some suggestions on low- sodium, high protein/fiber foods to eat.

I'm doing good reaching my daily goals for everything, but sodium :(

Replies

• glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Eliminate most processed foods, lose the salt shaker and you'll be fine.
    Other than for at risk CVD patients, sodium intake is over-rated anyway. It does assist in water retention, but it is an essential dietary element. Don't worry too much about it at your age is my general advice.
  • LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Aside from the fairly obvious, broad suggestion of eating fewer packaged foods and more whole foods, so that you can control how much salt you add... there isn't much more that anyone can tell you without being able to see exactly what you've been eating, via an open diary.
  • txylxr
    txylxr Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    High Sodium foods are usually just processed foods, anything bought frozen, fast food, chain restaurants etc. Just try to eat more fresh foods like fruits and vegetables and lean protein like chicken. Going over on sodium isn't that bad if you do it every once in a while, as it just makes your body retain water, but long term high sodium intake is linked to high blood pressure.
    Try some grilled chicken breast on whole grain bread with some low fat cheese! You'll get plenty of protein and fiber with a meal like that.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! Try not to eat too many pre packaged meals like frozen meals. Stick to fresh fruits and veggies as much as possible. To get protein just eat meat, eggs, beans, quinoa. For fiber I eat a big salad, lots of fresh lettuce and spinach. It takes some getting used to for the low sodium part but once you find some meals/recipes that you really like it'll get easier. Good luck!!!
  • chu604
    chu604 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Fresh foods that aren't packaged or processed
    Low sodium - No sodium dressings/sauces

You can get fiber from oatmeal, bread, fruits&veggies
  • Gwenski
    Gwenski Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Another good thing to check is condiments...ketchup and barbecue sauce have a good amount of sodium.
  • GypsysBloodRose26
    GypsysBloodRose26 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Open your diary so we can see.
  • mermiths
    Options
    Eat raw foods--stay away from dried, canned and processed. Dried fruits will send your sodium counts over the top, canned foods have tons of sodium and processed foods are like lunch meat. Also check those protein bars, they usually have lots of sodium. Also, pre-packaged tv dinners, pop, and anything "diet" has extra salt to add flavor.
  • jenshoeee
    jenshoeee Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :)

My diary is now open! I'm up for suggestions,

I'm trying not to eat so much pre-made meals, but I don't usually have much time. I work a full time job, midnight shift. I have a very odd sleep schedule due to my job. It makes it pretty difficult to make my own food :(