Masa Balls ????

Options
Just went and ate Mexican...and they had these little corn balls...the waiter said they were Masa ??

Anyway...corn, sweet tasty little things...about 1 tblsp in size.

I cannot find anything caloriewise on MFP or when I googled it....probably because I don't know their actual name.

Can anyone help?? I need a calorie count to put down in my food log.

Thanks much !!!

Replies

• cassandra1220
    cassandra1220 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    They are also known as sweet corn cakes. Try looking that up. Its basically sweetened masa (corn meal), they are sooo good, but unfortunately I also think that they are sooo bad. Lol.
  • Momo84
    Momo84 Posts: 13
    Options
    I believe it's spelled mazta. I'm not sure about how to find calorie content...hope that helps a bit at least :)
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options
    If you Google masa harina, you'll get more info. As for the other word, matzo, that's completely different. That's Jewish. Not Mexican or Spanish :wink:
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    1 mexican sweet corn cake (about a 2" square)

Calories: 273 | Total Fat: 18.1g | Cholesterol: 47mg

Hope this helps.
  • Rebecca__Lynn
    Options
    Think I got my answers...thanks everyone for your quick input....was bugging me...wanted to get those calories I just (pleasantly) ate logged...so I knew how much I did NOT have left to eat for dinner lol Yep that little portion was like a dinner in itself !! ha ha
  • smv1981
    Options
    Was it tomalito? It's a corn meal recipe that is served as a side dish or as garnish.

http://www.recipezaar.com/Cornbread-Pudding-Cake-Tomalito-284953
  • Rebecca__Lynn
    Options
    well this recipe and pic looks the same as what I ate...kind of a creamy mush..balled up...about the same calories as the Sweet corn cakes (or whatever that was called) ha ha