calf strain... help

Options
I have been experiencing a pretty intense pain in the back of my left calf for over a week... and I'm guessing it's a grade 2-3 calf strain.
I use to run pretty frequently... at least 6.5 miles 4 times a week plus kickboxing and other forms of cardio.
Now I can barely even take the eliptical. I've been diagnosing myself thinking it might be a blood clot.... haa:sick:

Some days it isn't so bad... but like today I could barely get past 8 push ups without jumping up in pain

Prior to this I always got calf cramps (both legs)

Anybody know how to get rid of this? :brokenheart:

Replies

• OK_Girl
    OK_Girl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    is there ANY swelling, redness or warmth in the calf or ankle / foot?
  • flatbellybella
    flatbellybella Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    is there ANY swelling, redness or warmth in the calf or ankle / foot?

no swelling
    feels warm... although my hands are always cold
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'd try RICE.

Rest
    Ice
    Compression
    Elevation

Ice several times daily

for a few days, if it doesn't improve you may want to seek medical attention (rest is critical.....)
  • OK_Girl
    Options
    not sure. Is is hot, or just warm. Cold hands or not- hot or swollen is a bad sign. Is it deep in the calf? Do you have risk factors for DVT?
  • letjog
    letjog Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    You won't have DVT (I'm a Doctor). It's muscular pain and needs full rest or it won't have a chance to heal!
  • OK_Girl
    Options
    Think you should visit the Dr for this. You might need physical therapy if you injured it. Could be a strain, in which the RICE is great advice. If it hurts severely, you could have a small tear in the muscle. I doubt you have DVT but only a DR could tell you that.

No disrespect- but I have never heard of a doctor who diagnoses people over the internet, much less with the amount of information presented.

See your physician !
  • flatbellybella
    flatbellybella Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    No disrespect- but I have never heard of a doctor who diagnoses people over the internet, much less with the amount of information presented.

See your physician !

Lol!
    if the ice doesn't ease up the pain... I'll go see my family doctor... eventhough he's a quack Lol
  • pinkgumdrop123
    pinkgumdrop123 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    bump...my left calf has been hurting for a few days now
  • likemeinvisible
    Options
    I have been experiencing a pretty intense pain in the back of my left calf for over a week... and I'm guessing it's a grade 2-3 calf strain.
    I use to run pretty frequently... at least 6.5 miles 4 times a week plus kickboxing and other forms of cardio.
    Now I can barely even take the eliptical. I've been diagnosing myself thinking it might be a blood clot.... haa:sick:

Some days it isn't so bad... but like today I could barely get past 8 push ups without jumping up in pain

Prior to this I always got calf cramps (both legs)

Anybody know how to get rid of this? :brokenheart:

I have the same - pain in left calf due to excessive running. 11 miles x4 a week. I rested for 4 weeks - no running or even walking fast or uphill and the pain was gone. I did calf raises and stretches and wore an elastic bandage loosely for 3 weeks.
    I'm now trying to run but still get pain in other area of the calf so I don't know if I'm cured. There's no pain while walking like before so I should be ok.
    I didn't have problem with push-ups though, only with activities that put strain on the calf or getting it past 90 degrees under strain. I saw products that raise your heel so that you can prevent from putting strain on your calf while walking but haven't tried that. Also being a male I don't have any high heel shoes, you could try that too.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    1. See your doctor. Get a diagnosis.
    2. If it is a calf strain, you must rest and rest until it is fully healed. Having made the mistake of trying to get back into running too soon, I can tell you it only makes the recovery period longer, much longer. As much as it sucks, just let it heal.
    3. Ice and compression may also help. I found that icy hot and massage at least made it temporarily feel better.
    4. Physical therapy might also help. See your doctor.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    It's been hurting for a week, and you haven't sought help from a doctor?
  • lisabruce12
    lisabruce12 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Last weekend I kicked a soccer ball and got a terrible cramp in my right calf. I didnt go to a doc until my and ankle swelled and turned purple. I thought it was strange that my ankle looked so bad when it was my calf that hurt so bad.... I apparently have a high ankle sprain and a possible calf tear. I am on crutches too...YUK! My calf is still very sore and tight but icing and stretching seems to help. If you dont get better soon please see a doctor....
  • mermiths
    Options
    calf cramps could be caused by a lack of potassium--eat bananas and potatoes to boost low potassium levels
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a calf strain to me, not a blood clot (not a doctor, but have had DVTs and take daily meds to prevent more). Rest is what I'd say you need. RICE, basically.

That said, if you really think there is a chance you have a clot, or if clots run in your family then I would strongly suggest you call your doc's office and describe your symptoms to the quack. He'll either tell you to come in for an exam and say RICE too.
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    I tore a muscle in my calf some months back. Did you/do you see any bruising down from where it hurts? I had bruising all the way down near my ankle and on my foot too. Doc said that was the blood from the tear and that is what they look for. I had to do the RICE method. It took a full 2 months to recover and the doc said it could have taken as long as 4 months. Mine was a minor tear. That sucker hurt bad! I also suffer from horrible leg cramps and have for a couple years now. Good luck, hope it gets better soon!