fighting to get me back

Options
I am a 40 year old woman that is trying to get a life back. my health has not been good since i had my sweet son and now for him and me i am trying to get healthy and be around to see grandkids. 2010 was a year that really slapped me hard. i was making progress on losing weight and getting healthy and then i forgot about me when my dad got cancer. one month later he died and one week after his funeral i was diagnosed with cancer. he had a.l.l and i got thyroid cancer but as a person in remission, all cancer kind of feels the same. Scary! That year i lost a lot of people close to me and my family abandoned me. I was a bad reminder. now with many medical problems and no thyroid to boot i figured its time to really step it up or i wont be here to see my son graduate and he is worth sticking around for. the Diet thing dont work and when some friends told me of this site i figured "finally i have a chance." This has been so helpful and i am only in week one but i am learning what to do and how to do it right. my son lost 3 lbs his first week. he is 16 and has the advantage but it is something we both need so bad. he has picked up all my bad habits and i worry he wont live a long and health life if things dont change. so here i am trying to get "a rocking body" and learning how to eat right and get fit. I got a lot of learning to do. If people read this and have tips or want friend who has a big hill to climb i can use friends.

best of luck to everyone
"beginning a journey" chrissy

Replies

• madanvineet
    Options
    hey... good luck for your goals...

feel free to add me... and let me know if I can be of any help...
  • etacarinae25
    Options
    Hi OD

I would like to be your friend. Cancer sucks. I had cancer in 2010 too and am trying to sort myself out. I had lost weight because of the cancer and I liked my body then but since I have put on 7 kilograms. Anyways I hope you are well now and look forward to talking to you.

Cheers
    Eta :smile:
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    My best tips:

Do not starve yourself. It's not healthy, it doesn't help. Make sure you are eating enough food for your body by going to fat2fitradio.com and using their BMR calc. It will tell you how many calories you need to eat to reach your goal weight. Adjust here on mfp accordingly.

Don't just do cardio. A good mix of strength training (heavy weights) and cardio is what will shred the fat and show lean muscle while tightening your skin as you lose.

Do not aim to lose more than 2 lbs a week. Losing weight fast can result in saggy skin and you will be more likely to gain it back over a period of time. Slow and steady wins the race!

Do not completely restrict yourself of your favorite foods. In most cases that is what causes people to binge or give up.

If you fall off, don't beat yourself up. Everyone fails at some point, everyone messes up. What matters is that you get back up and keep pushing on.