Cholesterol down 48 points!

Options
Just before I began MFP I had blood work done. Cholesterol was 202, LDL was 129. Not bad, but not great for a 33 year old. I had my work physical last week and the results are in! Current Cholesterol is 154 and LDL is 96. It is very validating to know I am getting healthy on the outside AND inside! :happy:

Replies

• tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    congrats, those are GREAT numbers!
  • Cassaaaaandra
    Cassaaaaandra Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    FABULOUS! Great job!
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Great news! Exercise worked for me and also eating oatmeal. Please keep yourself healthy. God bless.
  • KariM
    KariM Posts: 53
    Options
    Great news! Exercise worked for me and also eating oatmeal. Please keep yourself healthy. God bless.

Yes - Oatmeal is one of my fav meals now. Low cals - high fiber and very filling. Days I am too tired to cook it becomes dinner along with some blueberries! My poor husband has had to learn to fend for himself :)
  • nrepley
    nrepley Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!!!! :)
  • KariM
    Options
    was e-mailed seperatly about how I got my Cholesterol to come down. I thought I would post my e-mailed reply here in case anyone else was interested:

As soon as I got my blood work back in August I started exercising and watching what I eat. My grandmother had 4 heart attacks and died from the last one and all the females in my family are obese. It’s a road I don’t want to go down. Here is an overview:

•I try to stick to 1400 – 1800 cals per day and I am now up to 45-60 min exercising a day, 5 dyas a week. I don’t do all that at one time and I didn’t start out that way. I started with a simple 15 min walk 5 days a week. On a normal day I do 15 min workout in the morning before work, then at both of my 15 breaks I walk about a mile, then when I get home I do another 15 minutes workout. It makes it very doable that way! At home I normally do something with the Wii fit or active, or walk when nice outside. I am not always perfect, and I don’t worry when I am not. Just keep moving forward!

•I still eat out more than I should, but I make much better choices now. I stay away from fried food (ex – Love Mexican food – I ask them to grill or bake the Chimichanga rather than fry and I get a side salad with it rather than beans and rice, they say no problem!). And you would be surprised how many places have food facts on line, some have really nice ones that you can play with the ingredients and really see where the cals come from. Sometimes reducing a meal by 100-200 cals is just not adding the cheese, or getting the yummy sauces on the side and use ¼ of what they would have put on.

• I also gave up pop. I drank 2-4 cans per day! Now I drink 0-3 per month!

•I upped my fiber to more than the MFP suggestion. I talked to a nutritionist who said 20-35mg was better than the 15 or so suggested on the site. But upping means you HAVE TO up water or bad things can happen – found out the hard way. (pun not intended)

•Most of all have support! I have a friend who is doing it with me – we talk about food all the time and give each other ideas. She is the office manager at my work and she even started a group weight loss, so now we have everyone at work trying too. It’s great!

•So far I have lost 31 lbs, 3 inches off my hips and 2 off my waist – I feel great, but still have another 20 I want to get off.
  • cds2327
    cds2327 Posts: 439
    Options
    that's awesome!! we are mostly here to lose weight and look better......but an accomplishment like yours if what it is really all about!!! that is what is important!!
  • cds2327
    cds2327 Posts: 439
    Options
    that's awesome!! we are mostly here to lose weight and look better......but an accomplishment like yours if what it is really all about!!! that is what is important!!
  • 34at35
    34at35 Posts: 318
    Options
    Fantastic! that's what its all about IMO! Getting healthier! I'm 62 and my numbers weren't vvery good before I made my lifestyle change. They are now! Total cholesterol is 143 and my HDL (good cholesterol) is now higher than my Triglycerides! HDL is 54 and Triglycerides are only 50! Was on Simvastin but no more! And these numbers were all without any meds at all!

Glucose was only 86, too!
  • KariM
    Options
    Fantastic! that's what its all about IMO! Getting healthier! I'm 62 and my numbers weren't vvery good before I made my lifestyle change. They are now! Total cholesterol is 143 and my HDL (good cholesterol) is now higher than my Triglycerides! HDL is 54 and Triglycerides are only 50! Was on Simvastin but no more! And these numbers were all without any meds at all!

WOW! 115 lbs thats great! I hope to be there someday! How long did it take you to get that much off?

It is great to know you look good on the inside and out! :happy:
  • KariM
    Options
    Sorry - had hitthe send buttom twice -- and it posted twice. I just edited it out so it wasnt on twice :blushing:
  • 34at35
    34at35 Posts: 318
    Options

WOW! 115 lbs thats great! I hope to be there someday! How long did it take you to get that much off?

It is great to know you look good on the inside and out! :happy:

I started my lifestyle change on November 8, 2008. See my profile for all the details. My current main photo is one of my son and my granddaughter, who just turned 2. He's started her on skis and I want to ski with her for as long as I can. She's my real inspiration! Doctor told me if I wanted to be around in 10 yrs to play with her I'd better do something about my weight now! That's what it took - to be told you'll be dead before you know it without changing your lifestye! :laugh:
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Thanks KAri, I hope to make the change for myself also.
  • LuRox
    LuRox Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    EXCELLENT! Great job!
  • dfly22000
    dfly22000 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    That's awesome. I have a dr. appt. in two weeks. My cholesterol is typically high (around 237) but I started exercising and watching what I eat about 6 months ago. I can't wait to see if my numbers change. I'll do a post after my blood work.
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    was e-mailed seperatly about how I got my Cholesterol to come down. I thought I would post my e-mailed reply here in case anyone else was interested:

As soon as I got my blood work back in August I started exercising and watching what I eat. My grandmother had 4 heart attacks and died from the last one and all the females in my family are obese. It’s a road I don’t want to go down. Here is an overview:

•I try to stick to 1400 – 1800 cals per day and I am now up to 45-60 min exercising a day, 5 dyas a week. I don’t do all that at one time and I didn’t start out that way. I started with a simple 15 min walk 5 days a week. On a normal day I do 15 min workout in the morning before work, then at both of my 15 breaks I walk about a mile, then when I get home I do another 15 minutes workout. It makes it very doable that way! At home I normally do something with the Wii fit or active, or walk when nice outside. I am not always perfect, and I don’t worry when I am not. Just keep moving forward!

•I still eat out more than I should, but I make much better choices now. I stay away from fried food (ex – Love Mexican food – I ask them to grill or bake the Chimichanga rather than fry and I get a side salad with it rather than beans and rice, they say no problem!). And you would be surprised how many places have food facts on line, some have really nice ones that you can play with the ingredients and really see where the cals come from. Sometimes reducing a meal by 100-200 cals is just not adding the cheese, or getting the yummy sauces on the side and use ¼ of what they would have put on.

• I also gave up pop. I drank 2-4 cans per day! Now I drink 0-3 per month!

•I upped my fiber to more than the MFP suggestion. I talked to a nutritionist who said 20-35mg was better than the 15 or so suggested on the site. But upping means you HAVE TO up water or bad things can happen – found out the hard way. (pun not intended)

•Most of all have support! I have a friend who is doing it with me – we talk about food all the time and give each other ideas. She is the office manager at my work and she even started a group weight loss, so now we have everyone at work trying too. It’s great!

•So far I have lost 31 lbs, 3 inches off my hips and 2 off my waist – I feel great, but still have another 20 I want to get off.

I just got my lab results back and my LDL is about average. I am 38. I went research crazy on the web about what to eat to help lower. Good thing I like oatmeal!! Thanks for sharing your story!! I hope my results turn out like yours!
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    This is amazing news! You should be very proud of yourself!!! You too, 34at35, amazing!!!
  • KariM
    Options
    As for the oatmeal, Quaker has an new instant HIGH FIBER one. It has 10mg fiber instead of 3 like the reg ones do. When I go out with work friends for a big calorie filled lunch, I will eat two packets and fruit for dinner. One I am full with the much oatmeal for under 400 cals and all that fiber (20mg in one sitting!) moves all the bad stuff right out of your system.
  • summer6102
    Options
    Amazing great job!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!