vegetarian main dishes please

Options
tgaul
tgaul Posts: 123
I need some ideas for vegetarian dishes.

Replies

• kimberlygo
    Options
    Hi,

I used Peta's cookbook for college vegans. It's all really easy to prepare food with easy to find ingredients. And its good! http://www.peta2.com/cookbook/
  • greeneyes82
    greeneyes82 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Go to Kraft Food's website. Try out the "Soy-full" Chili. It is so good & vegetarian!!! My husband is a meat eater, but he didn't miss the meat at all! :wink: If you do fix it, I already entered it in the food database, so you can put your servings in.
  • EmilyStrick
    Options
    "how to cook everything vegetarian" by mark bittman...the bible of vegetarian cookbooks!!!
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    A couple of cold salads that I enjoy:
    Put grape tomatoes, blanched asparagus and heart of palms in a gallon baggie and pour in your favorite vinaigrette to marinate. Can eat right out of the bag over several days!

Or buy 1 can each of black beans, chick peas, and white hominy, drain; add diced green onions and green peppers; then in a blender mix a can of green chilis with some lime juice, a drop or two of vinegar and some olive oil; mix altogether and enjoy for several days!
  • emraldstorm
    Options
    I usually take eggplant, yellow squash, zucchini, onions, bell pepper, tomato, and artichoke hearts and cook them down with a little bit of olive oil, salt, and balsamic vinegar. YUMM!!!
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    spaghetti squash, with sauteed veggies and marinara sauce. Yum! had it last night. We also do veggie stir fry, and taco salads with black beans. My husband isn't a vegetarian, but he doesn't mind at all.
  • Brenna
    Brenna Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I just made Vegetarian Reubens! I grilled a veggie patty and sauerkraut. Then I melted cheese and put it on a toasted whole wheat sandwich thin and added fat free thousand island. Takes about 5 minutes to make the whole thing!

I know it may sound gross... But it was not, I actually loved it and am going to have one for dinner again!

I made last night's vegan - so it was only about 240 calories, I believe. It was hearty and I ate a ton you can pretty much use as much sauerkraut as you would like!
  • Dee678
    Dee678 Posts: 53
    Options
    Vegetarian: Tuscan Bean Soup
    In the crock Pot: 1 aseptic container of Chicken Broth, 1 large can of diced tomatoes w/ juice, 2 cans of rinsed canellini (white) beans, 1 package of frozen spinach, 2 T. Italian Seasoning. In a non-stick skillet w/ 2 tsp of EVOO, sweat 1 med yellow onion (diced) and 6 crushed and chopped cloves of garlic; then add to crock pot. Cook on low all day. Serve w/ beer bread.
    Make it Vegan by using Vegetable stock. **This recipe doubles very easily!**

Beer Bread: 3 c. self rising flour, 3 T. sugar 1 12 oz can of beer, room temperature. Mix & place in a prepared 9x13 bread pan. Bake at 350 for 45 to 60 minutes. Until knife comes out clean. (I season the dough w/ herbs & spices that are used in the accompanying dishes.)
  • AmandaB4588
    Options
    I make a sandwich filling to eat for lunch most days. It's very easy, and yummy! Take a can of garbanzo beans (rinsed and drained) and mash them. Add chopped celery and onions, mayo, and a little lemon juice. Mix it all in, and serve on bread! I do not make it sound appetizing, but it really is great and very simple--- tastes like chicken/tuna salad. I usually top it with spinach or kale.

I also like to hollow out portobello mushrooms and sautee the insides with garlic, onions, a little celery, and kale in olive oil. Mix some mozarella cheese in, stuff into the hollowed mushroom and bake for 10-15 minutes. This is also really simple and verrryyyy delicious!
  • AmandaB4588
    Options
    spaghetti squash, with sauteed veggies and marinara sauce. Yum! had it last night.

I second this!! I actually ate it tonight but threw in a little tofu for protein. I tell ALL of my friends about this whether they are vegetarian or not.
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Get a subscription to vegetarian times magazine. I've had one for years and there are tons of low fat veg and vegan recipes in every issue. I think it's $20 for the year which is ten issues