Hello!

Options
Hi I am new to the forum/site. I stumbled across myfitnesspal when I looked for a calorie counting app for my phone and I'm delighted I found this! I have been using the app for a month now.
I have never counted calories in my life as always viewed it as a burden but that was because I didnt want to acknowledge how many I was devouring in a day!
I am not massively overweight, I am 5ft 7in and currently weigh 156lb. Thanks to mfp I have lost 7lb in the last 4 weeks. It has always been very difficult for me to lose weight in the past, one reason being that I have an underactive thyroid and therefore a slow metabolism so to lose weight I have to really work at it. At my heaviest I was approx 200lb.
I am an active person spending all day on my feet walking around at work (wore a pedometer to work one day to track how much walking I do and it is between 5-10km a day depending on whether I work a 4 or 8 hour shift) and I exercise every day as its the only way (combined with a good diet) to lose weight. No quick fix! I walk approximately 8 km every day with my dog, I also started doing the 30 day Shred workout 2 weeks ago and I use my exercise bike daily, cycling 20 - 40 mins.
Counting my calories on here has changed the way I view food in a big way. I now make healthier choices and have reduced my portions. I just need to find some more encouragement to keep me on track and some more good healthy recipes that fill me up :)
My goal is to lose a bit more weight and to maintain it with leading a healthier lifestyle. I need to lose weight from my hips and legs as this is where the majority of my body fat is, I'm very pear shaped! Any tips on how I can reduce weight on my legs would be most appreciated! I dont want to give in and get depressed because I cant get it shifted as I'm fast approaching that feeling and my willpower isn't so good!

Replies

• queensturg
    Options
    Welcome! I also found this site about a month ago, when I was looking through apps on my phone, and thought it would be useful to start tracking what I eat. I feel like my diet has been a lot more balanced since then, and I'm making a lot of healthy changes that hopefully will really help me. I wish I had your discipline for exercise, but I haven't yet gotten myself motivated to go that route yet, although since I work on my feet five days a week I feel like that keeps me somewhat active. Best of luck to you in your journey to good health!
  • m6rsy
    m6rsy Posts: 21
    Options
    Hi, thank you for the welcome :) I agree about MFP helping make a healthier choice with food. I exercise now - before I struggled with that side of things badly! Some days it feels like a real toil but Ive managed to keep it up now for 6 weeks exercising at least 5 days per week, but more often than not 7 days.. I always walk my dog but if I'm out less than 30 mins I dont count it as exercise nor do I count all the running around I do at work, so if I were to take those into consideration (not for getting housework lol) I must burn a lot more calories than I realise! I've found now tho that its difficult for me to sit down ...... I sit to eat a meal then I'm up again to do something as I feel guilty if I'm lazy! Which is just as well as I have a healthy appetite.
    Just hope it doesn't wear off LOL! So thats why I'm here, to find friends to keep me motivated and on track. :) x