Watch this "Break the Habit" Ad

Options
http://youtu.be/82kYQ7j7X2s

HOLY COW... If this doesn't open your eyes to childhood obesity I don't know what does. What do you think of it? As a PE teacher I say...WE NEED more ads like this....Let me know what you think!

Replies

• Danied13
    Danied13 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    You know...I actually like this ad. I live in Georgia, and the anti-childhood obesity ads here are very off putting. I like this ad because it addresses the parents -- the people most responsible for childhood obesity.
  • You know...I actually like this ad. I live in Georgia, and the anti-childhood obesity ads here are very off putting. I like this ad because it addresses the parents -- the people most responsible for childhood obesity.

I totally agree with you on this one! I was like HOLY COW that is a powerful statement!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,264 Member
    Options
    It is one of the better ones out there as it does target the parent which is where the real issues lie. I mean, a child is not going out and buying their own food. If mom and dad would just say "no" when junior wants the cereal on TV, there would be no issues. So I do applaud it for being one of the few that doesn't throw all the blame on McDonalds or TV commercials.

That said, a hamburger and fries occasionally will not make a child obese. It is the constant over eating and under activity that does so. As such I think it loses a bit there. That ONE meal won't make or break anyone.
  • It is one of the better ones out there as it does target the parent which is where the real issues lie. I mean, a child is not going out and buying their own food. If mom and dad would just say "no" when junior wants the cereal on TV, there would be no issues. So I do applaud it for being one of the few that doesn't throw all the blame on McDonalds or TV commercials.

That said, a hamburger and fries occasionally will not make a child obese. It is the constant over eating and under activity that does so. As such I think it loses a bit there. That ONE meal won't make or break anyone.

I agree! In today's world it is better to blame others than blame yourself....if you are overweight that is because you put the food in your mouth. If you can't walk a mile without struggling, that is because you decided the couch was better. WE blame everyone but the person that is in charge of US.. I know I blame myself for things all the time but it makes me see that I am to blame NOT mcD's! :) LOVE that
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    What an awesome ad!

We try to teach our 4 yr old that it's OK to have a treat occasionally but too many treats will make you 'fluffy'. We don't feed him garbage food. Hamburgers and fries are all made at home with real beef and potatoes done in the oven. He actually prefers sweet potato but I still make regular ones for his dad. Any 'junk food' can be made in better versions at home with just a little work for the occasional times when we eat it.
  • HealthIsMyHobby
    HealthIsMyHobby Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Good message.
    Effective metaphore.
    A bit too graphic for the American audience
    but what we need to hear.
    I don't imagine it will show up on American TVs but perhaps if it went viral it would be picked up by the news chanels.
    It would be cool it kids were to email or facebook it to their parents.