Anyone else IBS??

Options

Replies

• alliwithaneye
    alliwithaneye Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Sure does :) Thanks for the concern. Not going to share my height and weight on here but will let you know I am trying to gain weight and am working with a dietician. I eat a plan based off of exchanges instead of calories now but use MFP for support.

I don't think I look dangerously thin at all, but sometimes its helpful when people point it out. Puts things in perspective for me.

Oh and I can't be vegetarian because I have a thyroid disorder that keeps me from being able to eat soy.

Btw, I appreciate the feedback but I really want to know if anyone has used Miralax and how long I should give it to work.

You don't have to eat soy to be a vegetarian :)

Miralax may take a few weeks of normal usage to really work. In my experience at least. I was on it for about a year and still use it randomly to treat constipation spells. I have severe IBS and gastroparesis(not a good combination at all!) and am a Vegan. I was advised by my doctor to cut out dairy... which I don't eat anyway and track my foods. Honestly I don't think one person with IBS is the same as the next. Everyone is different and I have been dealing with mine for literally years and years and years.... *sigh* I hope to one day find something that works for me but back to you, I would try eliminating dairy above all else and see if it helps. Good luck to you and your path to great health :)
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I think I have IBS, but I haven't had a doctor say it to me. But I have tried digestive enzymes that helps to brake down carbs, fat and protein. friends of mine that do have IBS do say that these tablets have hept them alot. Check with your health food store.
    Take care

Probiotics and Enzyme solution. comes in a colorless/odorless powder you add to food or drink.

Hope you get it under control soon:flowerforyou:
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will look at my water intake as maybe that is it. Apprently I eat too much fiber and I already eat prunes daily and even prune juice stopped working.

With the probiotic thingy can I buy that at any store and where in the store do you find it ?
  • RockinSkiBunny
    RockinSkiBunny Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Sure does :) Thanks for the concern. Not going to share my height and weight on here but will let you know I am trying to gain weight and am working with a dietician. I eat a plan based off of exchanges instead of calories now but use MFP for support.

I don't think I look dangerously thin at all, but sometimes its helpful when people point it out. Puts things in perspective for me.

Oh and I can't be vegetarian because I have a thyroid disorder that keeps me from being able to eat soy.

Btw, I appreciate the feedback but I really want to know if anyone has used Miralax and how long I should give it to work.
    I have been taking miralax daily for several months. I put itin mymorning cup of coffee. Please give it more time . I know if I DON'T use it I am in severe pain with constipation. also try some dandelin root tea.
  • Softrbreeze
    Softrbreeze Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I developed IBS mostly diarrhea after my gallbladder removal in 2003. It was HORRIBLE, a handicap really with my job (I drive quite a bit and being in the car with your bowels suddenly wanting to explode is NO fun!). Anyway someone told me about colon hydrotherapy so I called around and found a naturopathic doctor in a nearby city that offered it and tried it. Let me just say my symptoms GREATLY improved for about 2 mos. The diarrhea started to come back and I had it done again. This time my symptoms greatly improved for about 4 mos. This happened several times with my symptoms mostly resolving a little longer each time. It has now been about 2-3 years since I last had it done. I highly recommend it, though it's not a comfortable procedure (not painful, mind you). Basically, it is a thorough cleaning out of your colon. An enema can only do so much AND you're putting chemicals in your body. They say that most diseases start in the gut so keeping your gut clean and healthy is extremely important. I still have mild episodes occasionally but I can't stress how much better I am! I'd be taking Zocor if my doctor had had his way.
  • crrobin
    crrobin Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will look at my water intake as maybe that is it. Apprently I eat too much fiber and I already eat prunes daily and even prune juice stopped working.

With the probiotic thingy can I buy that at any store and where in the store do you find it ?
  • crrobin
    crrobin Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yes, high fiber diets don't work for constipation if u are not hydrated enough too..... I learned that the hard way, literally...lol
  • jennielou75
    jennielou75 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I had IBS diahorrea based for 15 years. Then I changed my portion size, diet and started taking probiotics vsl#3 which I buy from their website and my symptoms went. I then had bariatric surgery and now have constipation! I still take the bariatrics and also take calfig and prune juice daily.
  • crystalbluewolf13
    crystalbluewolf13 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Takes sometimes more than a week for mirlax to work. My son has autism and constipation issues are common with those kids. Doesn't make him sick though, but he has been taking it off an on for years so maybe that makes a difference.

Interesting my husband is Autistic and has the opposite issue, he has mainly loose stools....weird
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    you can get probiotics anywhere. I used to get some called pearls. They worked really good.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    you can get probiotics anywhere. I used to get some called pearls. They worked really good.

I bought mine at the grocery store, but have heard the ones at the health food stores are a bit better. All I know is in 3 days I am feeling 'normal' again.
  • munchkinhugs
    munchkinhugs Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Best way to combat this - half (or a whole) apple in porridge every morning.

It really does work.
  • fizzletto
    fizzletto Posts: 252 Member
    Options

What utter rubbish. Eating soy is by NO MEANS a requirement of being a vegetarian. I'm a vegetarian and I hardly eat any soy. I don't like soy beans, I hate soy milk, I rarely have tofu because it's lots of effort to cook, and I prefer mycoprotein-based fake meat products over soy-based fake meat products any day. My cousin is actually soy intolerant and is a vegetarian.

It would be like me saying "I can't be a meat-eater because I don't like bacon". Bacon is only ONE type of meat, you don't HAVE to eat bacon if you are a meat-eater. Just like saying "I can't be a vegetarian because I can't eat soy" is complete nonsense. You don't HAVE to eat soy if you're a vegetarian. If your angle is protein, regular vegetables and pulses will give the average person more than enough protein for their daily requirements, and in fact most meat eaters actually consume too MUCH protein. You don't need soy at all.

If you don't want to be a vegetarian just because you don't fancy giving up the taste of meat, then just say so.
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I suffer a lot with this too but find a sachet of fybrogel helps x
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I had terrible IBS and was on Mirilax for a long time. I recently changed my diet to low-carb (I try to stay below 80 net carbs a day) and I have noticed a HUGE change. Try a couple different types of diets. I noticed when I was eating so many carbs that my body was unable to break them down. I eat very healthy now, healthy fats, lots of veggies, and about one fruit per day, and it has helped so much. Almost all my carbs are from fruits and veggies and minimal are from actual grains. I think that not being afraid of healthy fats anymore helped my IBS and I honestly don't have a problem with it anymore.
  • lovinmomma
    Options
    I have IBS and i am now gluten and dairy free, avoiding acidic foods is imporant. excersise helps the most i have found. Hemp hearts are great for keeping you regular! My doctor gave me meds for it but nothing helped till i changed my diet and keep active.
  • nmtGurl
    nmtGurl Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    My IBS turned out to be a gluten issue too (celiac disease.) I had terrible alternating c and d for years. I've been following a paleo/primal type lifestyle for about a year and feel terrific now. But when I first went gluten free my c got worse. I tried everything, flax, Metamucil Clear and Natural (Inulin), etc. They just made me feel worse. My last resort was to try magnesium powder. I read some where that most people were using it to help with sleep, but the added benefit was regularity. All I can say is, his stuff has been a miracle mineral for me! I take it before bed every night and I've been regular everyday since. You do have to work your way up to the full dose. I took too much the first few nights and ended up with d. Chia seeds helped too, but there is a shortage now :-(
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options

If you don't want to be a vegetarian just because you don't fancy giving up the taste of meat, then just say so.

Heavily insulted by this comment. I work with a dietician and am recovering from an eating disorder. Because I can't eat soy and have other dietary restrictions due to a stomach surgery gone wrong I can't be a vegetarian. I am beyond an animal lover and now force myself to eat meat at least once a day. I have tried being vegetarian and every time get extremely sick. Can't take supplements/vitamins because of stomach issues so can't replenish nutrients don't get (B-vitamins mainly). Can't eat cheese and too much whey my body can't process. So please before you insult someone take a moment and think. Maybe re-read your post before you press submit. Think..."Would I want someone to say this to me"
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    These can all be IBS triggers:
    high fiber cereals
    corn
    Red meat
    organ meats
    fried food
    animal fats
    nuts
    dairy
    processed poultry(lunch meats)
    any type of skin (on meat, fruit, or veggies)

I have found that eating fish soothes IBS
  • ksaltsman04
    ksaltsman04 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have severe ibs-c and have tried absolutely everything, from added fruits and veges, extra water, fiber, stool softeners, magnesium, senna tea, enemas, and prescription meds. The only thing I have found that helps me is Oxy-powder.