Leg pain from half marathon

Options
Yesterday I ran my first half marathon and home from work today because my legs are very sore mostly my thighs.

Any advice?

Replies

• madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    keep moving!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Ice baths, Epsom salt baths, stretching and as madmickie pointed out......keep moving. Low intensity, low impact this week to allow time to recover.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I hurt for almost a week after mine. Walk it out, LIGHT run maybe. Don't be stagnant. Ice the pain, maybe even advil.

WAY TO GO!!!!!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I meant to ask in my first post......what were your longest runs during training? How did your race time/pace compare to your training pace?

The reason I ask is that if your training plan was suitable for your level of fitness you will normally feel some discomfort but it shouldn't be painful enough to keep you home from work.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Go for a nice walk. 30 to 45 minutes. Just get the blood flowing to those muscles. Chances are good you'll be even more sore tomorrow, then it will start to get better the following day.
  • Sweettart
    Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    My longest run was 8 miles before my half. My pace was about a min slower during my race because once I hit my wall at 17k my legs didnt want to run anymore so I walked the most of my last 4km
  • draculaspointer
    draculaspointer Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Why did you only build up to 8 miles during training? To me it seems like a big jump, so I understand why you are sore. Yesterday I did a 12 mile training run, woke up a little sore and stiff today, but mainly just tired. So instead of doing my normal strength workout at lunch, I walked. 2 miles at a reasonable pace. I am still a bit sore, but feel much better. So try to take a nice stroll or something and maybe stretch after your walk.