Potatoe and rice?

Options
I'm wondering if it's too many carbs or starch to have both potaote (steamed) and rice (brown rice) in one meal?

Replies

• veganmommy04
    Options
    everyones thoughts on this are different. i say no, i'm vegan and some days i consume alot of carbs(all good carbs), and i'm doing fine. yes i'm on this site to lose weight, but its vanity weight. i'm healthy, i'm at a healthy bmi, so my point is, that i consume alot of carbs and i am not packing on the pounds. i feel as long as you are active and they are good carbs w/in your calorie goal you should be fine.
  • ractayjon
    Options
    Depends....
    If it all fits into your daily allowance then it isnt "wrong" but having that many carbs in the evening hours (dinner) may not be the best choice...if you do it earlier in the day it may ne a better choice since your body can metabolize it over the day. For example....at breakfast people somtimes have toast (carb) and fried potatos (carb)...also make sure when you have them you balance them out with veggies and proteins.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't personally do it, but I have blood sugar issues. If you don't have any blood sugar issues, and you are having protein and some fats with it to slow absorption you should be fine if that's what you want to do! Enjoy - I :heart: brown rice - and potatoes too!
  • Dee678
    Dee678 Posts: 53
    Options
    If it isn't "fried" I wouldn't worry too much. Complex carbs help your body maintain levels of serotonin. I agree w/ vegan mommy04 too.

Whole foods are better than processed any day. Make sure you get lots of fruits and veggies too!

I find that I eat too much protein (which is odd, as I don't eat processed meats, red meat,etc), but that may be my mind trained from my days of powerlifting, when my body needed it to repair and build muscle.

I'm working on developing a plan that works for me. I try to stick to whole foods, 3 oz servings of lean protein a time or two a day, complex cards, lots of veggies and fruit. I'm not a big bread eater (even though I love it) only because of what goes in between the slices. Although, now & then, I NEED a PBJ & a glass of chocolate [soy]milk. Stems from childhood favorite at school. My mom never had white bread in the house (still not a fan); I keep it in the house for my beloved (he doesn't like my bread, but our little man prefers it!) . . .

Finds what works for you! Every body is different!
  • canadagirl79
    Options
    well, i'm baking thin small porck chops, and was planning on my having a serving of brown rice, with some corn and peas mixed in, then i was going to slice a potatoe in chunks and steam them
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    well, i'm baking thin small porck chops, and was planning on my having a serving of brown rice, with some corn and peas mixed in, then i was going to slice a potatoe in chunks and steam them

Just for the record, corn and peas are also very high in starches. Corn is another carb, not really a vegetable.

IMHO, better to incorporate green vegetables (think broccoli, spinach and the like whenever possible).
  • canadagirl79
    Options

Just for the record, corn and peas are also very high in starches. Corn is another carb, not really a vegetable.

IMHO, better to incorporate green vegetables (think broccoli, spinach and the like whenever possible).

ok...i guess i will eliminate the potatoe lol
  • Cassaaaaandra
    Cassaaaaandra Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's anything "wrong" about it if nutritionally it's what you need in a day for a balanced diet (meeting your needs for fiber, vitamin c, a, etc) and as long as it sounds appetizing to you. For me, I try to have only one starchy item at dinner along with at least one or two veggies. Either potatoes, mac and cheese (light with whole grain), or some kind of rice.
  • Slipperystar
    Slipperystar Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I would agree with the one poster about green veggies...having some brown rice, then maybe a nice pile of steamed broccoli and maybe cauliflower would be nice. Adds some fiber as well, and cuts down on some of the starchy carbs.
  • canadagirl79
    Options
    I would agree with the one poster about green veggies...having some brown rice, then maybe a nice pile of steamed broccoli and maybe cauliflower would be nice. Adds some fiber as well, and cuts down on some of the starchy carbs.

barf, i hate broccoli and cauliflower LOL..i have some fresh peas in my fride that I'll clean up and put on my plate...and some mini carrots i'll throw on as well
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Oh - it's too bad you hate broccoli and cauliflower! I was drooling on my self a little - pork chops, brown rice and steamed broccoli and cauliflower. Sounds so good :) Enjoy your dinner - fresh peas and baby carrots are yummy too!