TreadMill Question

Options
Hello all,

First off I am a 54 year old male, whose top weight was 235 - 240 lbs and I had gotton down to my goal of 200lbs.

I had major surgery and managed quite easily to put on 15 lbs of the 30 - 40 lbs I had lost. I am hoping joining this site will help and give me some encouragement.

I have a basic model that supposedly keeps track of speed, distance time elasped, and calories and fat calories burned. I also know that it is at best in the ballpark for accuracy etc.

I got a treadmill in the hopes of building up my endurance when I go back to work where I am on my feet 12 hrs a day and if I am lucky maybe 1 hour of that is sitting down doing paperwork. I am hoping within the next 3 weeks to get back to work.

My daughter who has lost 90 lbs tells me the way to do it is at a slower speed and go for distance to help improve endurance without killing myself..lol...Being the type of person I am I want to go fast for say 10 minutes and stop....

I had major lower abdomon surgery so it is probably best her way for now, as I am still extremly sore and still hurt. I go for my 3 week checkup tomorrow morning.

For a beginner with a treadmill and the surgery I had what do you think is best? Slow but sure like she suggests or do what I can quickly and rest. and increase the speed and length of time as each day passes depending on how I am recovering?

I also could use some friends who use a treadmill so I can visit your pages and learn from some on what works for them and hopefully incorportate it into a routine for myself.

Thank you for reading this.

Paul

Replies

• samtrois
    Options
    maybe take a look at the Couch to 5K website
    http://www.c25k.com/

then get an app for your smartphone, it will tell you to run for 3 mins walk for 90 sec, etc.. slowly building up endurance over 9 weeks.
  • MarlinWil
    MarlinWil Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hi, Paul.

Bump for later. What is the top speed that your machine does? Not that you will be racing, but some only go to around 8 - 10km per hour.

Also - do you have a heart rate monitor? More about that tomorrow.

Wil
  • Not sure about top speed I been doing 2 - 2.5 MPH. No heart monitor. I also just use my cell to make calls. I am not doing the web thing on a phone.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Since a surgery is involved, I would recommend getting your doctors advice, especially since it was an abdominal surgery. You don't want to injure yourself more with your workout. Slow walking may be what he recommends until you have fully recovered.

If your Doctor says you are okay to run, I usually like to run intervals. I'll walk for a minute at a brisk pace, then run as fast as I can for a minute. I like to get my cardio done fast, so I will do that for 20 to 30 minutes.

Good luck.
  • buddini
    Options
    Agree with what Dave says, intervals to start off with. Check out Fartlek on google, it can help give you stamina and you can control the intervals as you get fitter. Good luck
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    First things first - get clearance from your doctor for anything other than gentle walking. You do not want to set back your recovery by pushing too hard too fast.
    For now go with the slow walk and gradually add incline. You will be surprised how quickly you will get tired at first. When you feel stronger and can go for 20 -30 minutes then start to inch your speed up but do not get up to a jog until you have your doctors clearance. Abdominal surgery can take awhile to heal properly. You will be surprised how exhausted going back to work can make you feel the first week or so.

When you do have MD clearance and can do a full work day with out pooping out then think about the C25K program but not before!
  • emma7437
    emma7437 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I agree about checking with your doctor first, but then, interval training is awesome.

I do interval training during the week on my treadmill, usually for around 30/35 mins, and then go for a jog outside (about 45 mins) on the weekend just to mix it up.

Having said all of this, anything is better than nothing, and you need to work out what you enjoy because then you are more likely to do it!

Good luck whatever you decide.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    Slow and steady is the best way. Put it on a very low jogging speed, maybe 5 or 6km an hour and just trot along as long as you can, aiming for up to an hour. I pretty much do the same workout on my treadmill every time but you are welcome to add me if you want :-)
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    If your main goal is weight loss then your main focus should be on your diet. Exercise will help but it;s a lot easier not to eat 200 kcals than it is to work them off. Think every 100kcals is a mile on the treadmill.

As you are recovering from surgery i dont think running hard is a good idea right now. Walking steadily and then briskly will have a similar effect. If you incline your treadmill then you can get a strenuous workout just walking briskly. It's not about speed, more about effort over time - and sticking with it.