RPG Gamers snack ideas

Options
Since I am trying to start a healthier lifestyle, I need some help trying to figure out snack ideas for game times. The usual chips, candy, little debbies fare is not going to cut it. I can only eat so many veggies & fruit trays. The soda thing isn't that hard to resist, flavored water is fine. Help me!! *roll a D6, we'll all gonna die!!* lol

Replies

• feefie04
    feefie04 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Oh god I need this advice too... I haven't been to my RPG game in the two weeks I've been on here, I could also use some ideas for snacky snacks!!

We usually end up eating carb loaded stuff....

I really like dips... Maybe I can find a dip I can eat with rice cakes? Rice cakes are like 25 cal each... and I like them a lot.

I'm wondering if it's just going to have to be my little cheat night, with an extra few hundred calories that I make up for during the week via exercise or deficit.
  • CoolestNecessity
    Options
    Try portioning out exactly how much you can have ahead of time. Also, intersperse your favorite (SINGLE SERVING) snacks with healthy ones. Say you're going to be playing for 4-6 hours (I play D&D as well)... You're probably going to need a real meal during that time, and maybe 2-3 snacks (being generous). If you plan to eat a full meal, you won't NEED to snack as much. Choose 2 healthy snacks, and 1 not - so healthy. It's still a huge calorie reduction just making a couple of substitutions. Also, think about this: if you're always snacking while RP'ing... then you are training your brain to make you hungry when you RP! If you break the cycle and habit, it will get easier for you. If you need to snack, walk away from the game while you do it. Take a little break... you'll come back refreshed, and ready for your imagination to work even better!
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could get away from the idea that staring at a screen means you have to have a snack. What is up with that? People think they have to eat constantly while at the movies, watching TV, or playing video games. Play the game. Snacking is not a requirement.
  • CoolestNecessity
    Options
    HAHA I just had a great idea... ROLL FOR YOUR SNACKS! Roll a D20, and if it's 11 and up, have something healthy... and if its 10 or below, have a single serving of one of your treat snacks! lol
  • CoolestNecessity
    Options
    I believe they are talking about tabletop games here, not video gaming.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Check out skinnytaste.com for some good lower cal recipe ideas.

Also, I really like these:

http://www.annies-eats.com/2010/03/05/baked-southwestern-egg-rolls/

I use less cheese and fresh spinach. Enter the recipe on here to figure out the cals, but I think it's around 137 cals per egg roll the way I make them.

Also, roasted chickpeas are great to snack on. Toss with a little bit of olive oil and sprinkle with seasoning (I like garlic powder and cayenne pepper) and roast at 400 for 20 minutes or so (make sure to stir them!).

Air popped popcorn with 1T of real butter drizzled over it and sprinkled with kosher salt is also a great snack.

Bruschetta with flatbread is delicious - bruschetta is basically tomatoes and seasoning. I use a can of diced tomatoes, add in some minced garlic and Italian seasoning and let it sit for a few hours. Then pile it on Italian bread or crackers. It's like Italian salsa!! lol!

Chips and salsa are a good alternative too. Most people try to avoid chips because they think they are pretty high calorie, but they really aren't too bad. I weighed out 1.5 oz of tortilla chips the other day and it filled a normal cereal bowl to overflowing. That was around 200 cals for the brand of chips I used.

Pickles are low calorie too - just drink extra water to offset the sodium.

Happy snacking :)
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Special K has "cracker chips". I love the sour cream and onion. They're ea. about the size of a half dollar, and there are 27 of them in a serving (off the top of my head, 90 cal. per serving , but I would check that no.). At least they seem like something you might have as a party snack. Also, Skinny Cow makes little chocolate clusters. Five of them are, i think, 120 cal. Also, Quaker Rice snacks. Would have to ck. the calorie count on those. Just trying to come up w/ stuff you can eat and others who are not watching the calories might enjoy too.
    Good luck!
  • feefie04
    Options
    Edited for nevermind the trolly troll mc trollerson
  • feefie04
    Options
    HAHA I just had a great idea... ROLL FOR YOUR SNACKS! Roll a D20, and if it's 11 and up, have something healthy... and if its 10 or below, have a single serving of one of your treat snacks! lol

Hmmm... time to bring out the weighted D20?? XD
  • Whart0603
    Whart0603 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... time to bring out the weighted D20?? XD

LOL

If you like dips, you could try veggies and hummus or salsa instead of the dips.
  • tabbykat6802
    tabbykat6802 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys soo much for the great ideas. Please keep them coming.

I love the idea of rolling for my snacks!! Should have thought about that already!! lol
  • archangel9902
    archangel9902 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It has been a while since I was involved in game nights, they usually involved pizza, lots of pizza. So I totally see your problem. My suggestions would be to sort "healthier" snack food portions ahead of time? for example a mix of unsalted nuts/granola/pretzel sticks, popcorn,fruits/veggies, etc into little baggies or snack cups with a set calorie amount. Then you can choose a variety to munch on and know what you are putting in your mouth at a glance.
  • 00Melyanna00
    00Melyanna00 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could get away from the idea that staring at a screen means you have to have a snack. What is up with that? People think they have to eat constantly while at the movies, watching TV, or playing video games. Play the game. Snacking is not a requirement.

It's not so easy as RPG games are something that you play when sitting at a table with your friends, so you end up sitting at a table full of players that are happily munching their snacks and you can't do it... Resisting when you are alone is one thing, but having the self discipline to resist when your friends are eating is different.

You can't really deprive your friends of their snacks just because you are on a diet, so there has to be a different solution.

I am thinking of only buying snacks that they like, but I don't like - that way at least I won't be tempted to eat what they eat and will be forced to go for something healthy.
  • feefie04
    Options
    Thank you guys soo much for the great ideas. Please keep them coming.

I love the idea of rolling for my snacks!! Should have thought about that already!! lol

Or when you get a crit, have a snack... like a drinking game but for snacks :)

Or if you're playing a non D20 system ( Savage Worlds!) When you kill an enemy/boss, reach a milestone, have a snack...

Maybe set aside your snack food for the night and take from that pile/bag, so you know how much you're taking when you roll yourself a snack.

Be a snack rules lawyer! (lol)
  • Turtle_12
    Turtle_12 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Try portioning out exactly how much you can have ahead of time. Also, intersperse your favorite (SINGLE SERVING) snacks with healthy ones. Say you're going to be playing for 4-6 hours (I play D&D as well)... You're probably going to need a real meal during that time, and maybe 2-3 snacks (being generous). If you plan to eat a full meal, you won't NEED to snack as much. Choose 2 healthy snacks, and 1 not - so healthy. It's still a huge calorie reduction just making a couple of substitutions. Also, think about this: if you're always snacking while RP'ing... then you are training your brain to make you hungry when you RP! If you break the cycle and habit, it will get easier for you. If you need to snack, walk away from the game while you do it. Take a little break... you'll come back refreshed, and ready for your imagination to work even better!

THIS!^ Smart smart smart!
  • nevermore99
    Options
    Maybe try something related to your campaign setting, like a gelatinous cube (lime jello) or soylent green (meringue with green colour).