Embarrassing question, re bladder and jumping jacks

Options
So I wanted to try the 30 Day Shred, but I have bladder that lays low, which leads to problems while jumping, if you know what I mean! I've gone to the doctor a few years ago because of it, but he suggested surgery, which I refused. Is there any hope or am I just out of luck?

Replies

• lilmissymoo90
    lilmissymoo90 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    i had this just after my baby but thankfully it went away .. jumping jacks in 30 day shred are frequent but maybe you could do joggin on the spot during them or another excersise and still give it ago?
  • laceyslady
    laceyslady Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    poise pads..... I'm tired of them have surgery scheduled for Wendsday. mini sling. good luck
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Kegels might help.
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Same problem here, I jogged in place (small bounces from foot to foot).

Having lost 70 pounds has helped some but, still have a problem, not willing to have surgery either. My mother had the surgery when she was my age (50's) and now she has no control at all. Not willing to take the chance of that.
  • Edithrenee
    Edithrenee Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I am sure you have heard of Kegals? I would really try this and do pelvic floor exercises. If you dont want surgery this may be a solution that can help. Also once you practice this you can also buy some LeLo beads, look it up. It helps you progress through Kegals, it makes the pelvic floor tighter and it does help with the Bladder problem, also an added bonus is better private life as well. Hope it helps!!
  • brainfreeze72
    brainfreeze72 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I always always always use the bathroom before any exercise. Have you tried Kegel exercises to help muscle control?

http://www.webmd.com/urinary-incontinence-oab/pelvic-floor-kegel-exercises-for-urinary-incontinence-in-women

You could also try feminine pads in case of leakage. After my third child and having my tubes tied I have to cross my legs every time I sneeze and when going on road trips, it's usually me who initiates a rest stop.

Good luck, I hope you find a way to do your 30 day shred.
  • susanrose73
    susanrose73 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the quick responses! I've heard of kegels, but have been so lazy about doing them. I'll definitely work the kegels into my day.
    I always always always use the bathroom before any exercise. Have you tried Kegel exercises to help muscle control?

http://www.webmd.com/urinary-incontinence-oab/pelvic-floor-kegel-exercises-for-urinary-incontinence-in-women

You could also try feminine pads in case of leakage. After my third child and having my tubes tied I have to cross my legs every time I sneeze and when going on road trips, it's usually me who initiates a rest stop.

Good luck, I hope you find a way to do your 30 day shred.

The part about crossing legs when sneezing or coughing is totally me. And also the car trip thing too-always me!
  • LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling, sort of. I don't have any diagnosed issues... I'm just really big, and before I really strengthened my muscles over this summer, the pressure of all the weight I'm carrying seems to have had an effect on my bladder.

Have you tried doing kegel exercises? They strengthen the same muscles that you would flex if you were to try to stop peeing, midstream.

The only other things that I can think of are to just make sure you go to the washroom and empty your bladder, right before starting the exercises, and using pads (like Always Infinity, which are awesome... or getting something for urinary leaks made of the same type of material, because that stuff really wicks away the moisture so you don't feel like you're sitting in a wet spot).
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Jumping jacks are the devil for SUI. Seriously... pretty much anything else can be managed, but that... ugh. Even if I empty my bladder immediately before and then every ten minutes during the workout, jumping jacks WILL make me pee. (The bladder isn't actually a fluid holding sack, it's more like a sponge that never actually dries out - there's ALWAYS moisture in there. As you probably have discovered.)

There is a modification for jumping jacks that I highly recommend until such time as you aren't having the problem: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xf84sx_jumping-jacks-with-modifications-ex_sport shows one example (it's after he demonstrates the regular jack.) I've also done "heel jacks" -- they're what Lindsay Brin shows in her Moms Into Fitness DVDs. I couldn't find a clip online, but basically you take the right heel out to a diagonal (instead of straight out to the side) then feet together/arms at sides, then left heel out, then back, and so forth alternating sides -- similar to what he shows in the video but with a minor variation in where the feet go. The basic idea is to keep the jumping jack motion, but do one leg out at a time instead of both. Makes a huge difference.

Another alternative would be to take the "jump" out and do a low impact step out. Try some different things and just keep moving! I finished the 30DS and ultimately lost 20 lbs last summer, doing only modified jumping jacks.

One thing I will recommend, in addition to modifying the jacks (yes, you're probably going to tinkle sometimes, and the Poise pads are a stellar idea for taking away some of that worry, but why GUARANTEE an accident??) is to focus on strengthening your transverse abs. I noticed a huge improvement in my SUI when I worked on those. (Plus they're the "corset" muscles around your waist; getting them stronger and tighter brings your waistline in!) Again, the Moms Into Fitness DVDs specifically address the transverse abs in their core work - even if you're not a postpartum mom, they're fantastic. Be-Fit Mom also addresses these in her DVD. And of course you can find tons of info on them - Pilates is great for the tranverse abs!
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Kegels might help.

All the kegels in the world won't fix a stretched bladder neck., if that is what you have.

I had this problem for several years - since giving birth to a 9lb 5oz baby. Jumping, running, you name it, I dribbled. I had the surgery after my second child.

I had the bladder neck suspension, where they put a mesh under the neck of the bladder like a hammock and fasten the mesh to the pubic bone. It's an outpatient procedure, I was in the hospital all of 5 hours, the pain was minor - as if I'd overdone it on the thighmaster. It takes ~6 weeks to heal, and for a good chunk of that time you cannot lift anything that weighs more than 10lb -- which is 5 quarts of milk. You need to be done having children (at least vaginally) before having the procedure -- the mesh/scar tissue that forms around it would be damaged (best case), requiring more complicated surgery to correct.
  • bbelnap2
    bbelnap2 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've tried the prescription meds and they only made it WORSE. Reducing my weight helped a lot, I can now run at a 5.5 on the treadmill with almost no leaks. Jumping Jacks are in a whole different category, I always leak there. Good pads are a must.

Another helpful thing that no one else has mentioned is wearing a belly supporting girdle, or body shaper with good support while you exercise. Getting the weight of my belly off my bladder dropped leaks in half or more. Looking forward to the belly being gone.