Drive to get up and go

Options
i am an online student without a job so I have PLENTY of time to exercise. At first, I always just forgot to exercise. Simple as that. I just did not remember to do it. Now, I am remembering to do it but procrastinating. I just do not have the drive or push to actually get up and move. What can I do to push myself?

Replies

• jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Pick something you enjoy doing and set goals.
    Ex: If you're using the treadmill, set endurance goals and goals to run/walk at a higher speed every chance you get.

If you're lifting, challenge yourself to lift heavier and keep track of your progress.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Make it part of your routine. Pick a time that works for every day, and know that when it's 11am, or whatever you choose, it's time to exercise! Don't let anything come in the way of it. Of course you will have to push yourself to do it the first few days, but it does become routine (I promise!) and it will feel weird NOT doing it. I recommend morning because when you're done working out, you don't have to think about it for the rest of the day.
  • Shrelana
    Shrelana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Give yourself a schedule...I'm new to the exercise thing too, and my personal goal is to go to the gym at least 5 days a week, so on my Calendar where my work schedule is, I have actually written in "Gym 10:30AM" for today. That's my sign that at or around 10:30 I will leave to go to the gym...makes the procrastinating harder for me to do :)
  • goblynn
    goblynn Posts: 152
    Options
    I use to struggle w/ the get up and go too. What helped me was finding an exercise that I enjoyed and then set a work out appointment. This way, I wouldn't put it off. It also helped me to do it first thing in the day. Before I eat, drink water, take a shower, walk the dogs, pay the bills, go to work, study, etc. I would roll out of bed and hit the gym. If it were not for this I would find other things to occupy my time and then before I knew it the day would be over and I wouldn't have got a work out in.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Don't leave it to 'drive', or even open it up to decision. Think of it as a non-negotiable rule of hygiene. Get it into your head that every single day, no matter what, you *have to* have a minimum of 30 minutes of doing some kind of activity.

Come up with a list/plan of 3-4 activities you could do so you don't have to think about it. When I started, DVDs really helped. I liked the 30-40 minute ones best, because they didn`t sound like too much of a commitment, & were convenient. Walking is another easy thing to knock out.

After a couple of months of that, it'll feel like a habit. It'll make a difference in your mood, how you sleep, your energy levels, etc, and you'll notice that you feel better when you work out - your BODY will want it.

If you struggle with motivating yourself, and prefer the structure/support of a class, you could also sign up for something that's fun for you. Set it up so it's realistic and easy to do - go to a place that's not more than 10 minutes away, if you can.

edit: also - i don't know what you're eating or how you feel in general, but your current lifestyle/diet might be affecting your energy levels. If that's the case, it's a feedback loop, and it'll take a bit of effort to flip the switches. Push through it and you'll be rewarded.