Man am I confused.... HELP

Options
I posted this on my blog but got no answers. So here is a repost.

Here I am feeling so frustrated that I felt I need to get it out to you for input. I am not saying I am frustrated with my plan. Yes, I blew it tonight, but that not withstanding I am generally always at or below goal. I am confused for many reasons so let me start with one that just boggles my mind. First let me say that I have never, ever been one to try a diet or one to lose weight. Even on Nutrisystem I still found ways to gain weight or not lose. I am absolutely committed to a change of lifestyle. I am now absolutely neurotic of counting calories. I WANT TO LOSE MY WEIGHT.

Weight loss has been explained simply burn more than you eat and you will achieve weight loss. I have heard about plateaus. Yes I seem to be at one. Why do I say it? I have been at 300 pounds give or take for two weeks. That is the basis for my confusion. I own a bodybugg HRM and more and it tells me that I am burning on average 3800 calories burned per day. I am eating 1800 calories daily, a level I have set manually. MFP says my BMR should be 2875. MFP says I should lose 2.4 pounds per week. So tell me, after two weeks of having a deficit of 2000 per day, with a total of 14000 calorie deficit weekly. I should be losing 4 pounds per week, right? I am not. I know, tonight was a goof off, but I tell you that I am vigilant in counting calories and paying attention to nutrition labels. I know I am not overeating. So why am I not losing anymore?

I lost 23 pounds in one month. I hit the 300 mark in just three weeks of dieting. I have been there for the better part of two weeks. Why? I know I should measure myself. I might be losing inches. But regardless I should be losing weight. My deficit is just too drastic to be ignored.

What gives? I have tried shocking my meal plan. I did just that tonight by mistake. Not really a mistake. I decided to eat that pizza because I wanted it. I am drinking my water. I am burning calories. I am fairly muscular already. I don't get it. Why am I stuck at 300?

Replies

• txcwgirl
    txcwgirl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Simply put you are starving your self. You need to eat at near what MPF says especially if you are working out hard. Your body is storing everything you put into it. Untill you eat more you will not lose the weight.
  • SammiAnne11
    SammiAnne11 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I can understand your frustration!!
    I really really think you should do your measurements! I think that is the one true way to see that your body is changing.
    Are your clothes fitting better? Can you see the changes in your arms, legs, or abs? Sometimes even when the scale isn't moving you can see the changes in other places.

I wonder if you body thinks you aren't eating enough, and has put itself into starvation mode?? Maybe another member can shed some light on that.

I will say your willpower is inspiring! Regardless of not seeing the results on the scale, how do you FEEL?
    Keep up the great work, and do not be discouraged!!
    Sam
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    If he's eating 1800 calories a day, clearly he's not starving himself...putting your body into starvaion mode takes a little more the a few weeks at a low caloric level, i's not as easy a thing to do as most people on here seem to claim. As far as why your not losing, have you tried cutting out carbs for a wee bit, that'll def help, same with refined sugars, change your activities, kick in some seriously intense cardio, at and above your fat burning zone...keep us posted on what you've tried and how it helped, zig zag your calories as well, to keep your metabolism going, compensate let's say for ex a low cal day at 1600 with the next day being 2200 and the next 1800, your constantly changing things up and keeping your system in check...this tends to work for my obese clients who plateau.
  • monica1515
    Options
    I see this often in clients I train, male & female.

Your BMR is the caloric(energy) need your body needs to do its daily functions without any physical activity. 2875 is a very high BMR but you said you are muscular, which can make it higher. The only way to know for sure is to get metabolic testing to determine YOUR true BMR.

Let me give you an idea. As a personal trainer we are to get metabolic testing done periodically. My RMR is 1900 calories. So if I were in the hospital, in a coma, the hopsital staff would be giving me 1900 calories worth of supplements via IV. I require 1,900 to survive. When added my daily physical activity into the metabolic testing, to maintain my weight I requre 2,983 calories. So I would take my calorie intake down to about 2400 calories. I would NEVER drop below my RMR of 1900 calories.

Going on the idea that your BMR is 2875, and you're only eatting 1800 calories a day - you are starving your body and will not lose weight. You are starving your body of its basic needs therefore whatever you do decide to eat, youre body will hold on to because it is in "starvation mode."

Also, are you including exercise into your daily calories? Are you creating a 7525 calorie deficiency a week with or without exercise?

I am eating 1800 calories daily, a level I have set manually. MFP says my BMR should be 2875.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Simply put you are starving your self. You need to eat at near what MPF says especially if you are working out hard. Your body is storing everything you put into it. Untill you eat more you will not lose the weight.

I completely agree with this reply. a daily deficit of 2000 cals is more than some people eat in a day. Your body thinks it is starving and is holding on to what ever it can, mainly by slowing down your metabolism. Please eat more and eat your exercise calories too.
    Some consider it unsafe trying to loose more than 2 pounds per week. Try setting you goal to 1.5 pounds per week and make sure you eat all the cals including exercise cals. And make sure you have a good breakfast each do to kick start that metabolism. Good luck
  • caseybreunig
    caseybreunig Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I understand your frustration. I started on MFP in mid-December. It took me about 4 weeks to START losing weight. But my inches were drastically different. So, yes, measurements can really change eventhough your weight does not. I felt that I had changed my lifestyle, tracked all my calories and worked out frequently and nothing was happening. I dropped a pound here and a pound there. After about 6 weeks I only lost 3 lbs. I was beginning to get frustrated and frankly unmotivated.

Until this morning. I feel like all my hard work paid off! My body is finally starting to respond. I lost 4lbs in two weeks. My pants today were so close to the storage pile because they were too small...and today they are loose!

Moral of the story, you have to stick with it. Your body is getting used to this new lifestyle. In the meantime, until your body gets with your new program, find confidence and motivation in the small wins.
  • gennyvieve
    Options
    I think you probably should increase your calories a little bit---but also look at the kind of calories you are eating.....and sodium! sodium is a freaking killer and i found as soon as i started watching sodium i dropped a couple pounds in a week. Also, i'm totally pimping out the Sassy Water from the flat-belly diet book, i lost 4 pounds last week and all my measurements were smaller and i think it's from the sassy water---i totally feel less puffy! i'll throw the recipe on the end of this.

at the end of the day---you ARE kicking *kitten* and taking names! you didn't gain all that weight overnight, so don't go beating yourself up if you can't drop it so fast......you'll get there before you know it! we're all rootin for ya!!!!

The Sassy Water Recipe

2 liters water (about 8 ½ cups--I use my koolaid pitcher)
    1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
    1 medium cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
    1 medium lemon, thinly sliced
    12 small spearmint leaves.

Combine all ingredients in a large pitcher and let flavors blend overnight.

Drink the entire pitcher by the end of each day.
  • mmnichol
    mmnichol Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    bumping for recipe!! thanks!!
  • oomalmal
    oomalmal Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    bumping for recipe,
  • Questfor250
    Options
    Thank you all. This has helped me understand much better. First, I have to admit I am not doing a damn thing for fitness. This frustration is a key part of that. My frustration at burning 4000 calories just being me. I am ready to join a great health club. So that will remedy itself.

Now let me see if I understand you all completely. You are suggesting that given my size at 6'6" and my current weight at 300, that my body is fighting me because I am only giving it 1800 calories. You are also suggesting taking the MFP suggested calorie intake of 1975. This is based on 2 pounds lost per week. Then you are suggesting that I eat additionally to equal any exercise calories. I also see a suggestion to change weight loss to 1.5 pounds per week.

I find it hard to believe a change of 175 calories will make a difference but I will try it. I am also going to adjust my basic activity to a notch higher than couch potato. I am very active but I don't work out. That has to change.

The thing is that now that everyone is saying it, I lost my initial 23 pounds on 2000 calories. I bumped down with the hope of increasing weight loss. Your support in this discussion has opened my eyes. I sincerely appreciate it. Maybe this will get me back on the positive attitude road again. Thanks for the recipe. Two liters by the end of the second day. That's 4 - 16.9 ounce bottles. I drink that amount before lunch. Thanks again everyone. Don't let it stop. I am learning all the time so I will really appreciate any additional feedback.
  • Elfie1
    Elfie1 Posts: 30
    Options
    Wonder where you get fresh ginger?
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I agree with others, eat some more.

But what your eating can also make a difference.

Sodium, sugar, white flour. You can still eat lower calories but if your still eating some junk, then it will hurt against your weight loss.
  • robbienjill2
    Options
    I had the same problem in November and December (not losing). I added the sodium intake on my goals :wink: and realized I was killing myself with the stuff. Its amazing to watch just how much sodium u take in daily. Even though I still go over on sodium, its still mindful for me as I do not add NEARLY as much as I use to. I started losing weight again. Good Luck!! YOU CAN DO THIS!!

Ooops: This is Jill..I am still signed in under Rob. (Robbienjill)
  • BobbieJo_1977
    BobbieJo_1977 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    In the first 6 weeks of my new lifestyle, I had only lost 30 pounds but I managed to lose 85 inches!!! So, do your clothes fit differently? Definitely measure yourself. Also zigzagging your calories usually works really well! Good luck!
  • stringsNlinks
    stringsNlinks Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I am responding to a post you sent out about Sassy Water. I have heard of it but never tried it. I too watch sodium intake. I was a salt junkie. I make every thing from scratch now, no canned or processed foods. My question: does the Sassy Water help eliminate water or does it clean your bowels, blood, etc....

thanks for any info you have! oh, by the way 73 lbs...WOW very impressive...stay healthy!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Wonder where you get fresh ginger?

Veggie market
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    double post
  • Questfor250
    Options
    I have adjusted my calorie counter to go with what MFP suggests. It now has me eating 2210 calories. I sure hope it works. Now I feel like I am overeating but I am going to try to do what it says. What does the extra calories other than what I was eating with 1800 and 2000 calories mean? It means an extra snack when I am hungry in the evening. It means a serving of mashed potatoes or a cup of soup to give a more filling meal. It means a better lunch. It means I am not hungry anymore. Like I said, I hope I am doing the best thing.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I have adjusted my calorie counter to go with what MFP suggests. It now has me eating 2210 calories. I sure hope it works. Now I feel like I am overeating but I am going to try to do what it says. What does the extra calories other than what I was eating with 1800 and 2000 calories mean? It means an extra snack when I am hungry in the evening. It means a serving of mashed potatoes or a cup of soup to give a more filling meal. It means a better lunch. It means I am not hungry anymore. Like I said, I hope I am doing the best thing.

You made the comment about " feel like you are over eating" and I was wondering if you are in a given meal.?
    How many meals are you having?

Without exercising added in, one other thing you should be doing is eating 5-6 meals to help speed up your metabolism.
    3- 600 calorie meals with 2-250 calorie snacks or 6 meals at 366 calories. etc.
  • Questfor250
    Options
    Thumper, my diary is open for viewing. I do about 350 for breakfast. Then about 500-700 for lunch and then 500-800 for dinner. Then a snack in the evening. On days with less dinner I do an afternoon snack.