Hungry, Any low calorie & economic recipies?

Options
Hey,

When I get to the end of the day I feel like I barely have any calories left for dinner. What can I eat during the day to keep myself full while being able to reach my calorie goals (1350) per day??

Thanks!

P.S. Also these recipes need to be low calorie, high fiber or protein and economical. :)

Replies

• Marcy79
    Marcy79 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I generally plan and log my entire day in advance... that way I'm not stuck at the end with no calories for dinner.. sometimes I even plan for several days in advance... helps with my grocery list and it's economical because you're not wasting food,

good luck!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I plan out my dinners 2 weeks at a time (the span of a paycheck), then log them, and then log every other meal and snack around that.

Here's an easy one though:

Iberian Tiny Pork Bits

1 lb pork
    1 cup rice
    1 can pineapple
    1 lemon
    garlic
    ginger

Spray 13 x 9 baking dish with cooking spray. Chop pork, space evenly in pan (a tight fit is okay). Grate lemon rind for a couple teaspoons of zest. Cut lemon & juice it. Sprinkle zest over pork. Also sprinkle garlic & ginger to taste. Toss 1 can pineapple (including juice) in to sit evenly throughout pan. Add lemon juice. Throw in oven at 350 for 1 hour. Stir half way through. Cook rice as directed on packaging (I usually use Minute rice -- 1 cup water, 1 cup rice).

This recipe is low cal, high protein, and will feed 2-3 people comfortably.
  • debbielou93722
    Options
    A great snack is 15 almonds and 1/8 cup of raisins.

I love breakfast burritos : 2 eggs, 2 tablespoons salsa - scrambled; 1 tortilla - warmed in oven; 1 slice swiss cheese. Sometimes I will add avacado.

Lunch or Dinner: mini raviolis with Tomato/Garlic/Spinach/Onion sauce
    I saute the onion and garlic, then add spinch until wilted; add diced tomatoes no salted added. Serve over 13-15 mini ravioli's.
  • junipuni
    junipuni Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Could you set your food diary to public? I'd love to get an idea of what you eat to see how it can be tweaked or if there are other substitutes. :)

I log my food for the whole day in the morning, sometimes the night before so I am not surprised with the amount of calories I have for dinner. These are the snacks I tend to eat/rotate: light string cheese, granola bar/fiber one bar, apple w/or w/o PB, orange, banana, plain nonfat yogurt w/agave syrup, almonds, um, that's about it.

I also use fiber as a supplement - powdered form in my water - and that REALLY helps keep me full throughout the day. I do 1 teaspoon in 32 ounces of water - 3x a day. Sometimes 2.
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    My favourite snack right now is an instant package of regular oatmeal with a 1/2 tbsp of lite peanut butter stirred in. I then add 1/4 cup of skim milk. YUM! I'm telling yah I can be starving and this will keep me full for two hours. I usually have this around 2:30-3pm and I've totally staved off the grab-whatever-i-can mode i get while cooking dinner :)
  • kgasser
    kgasser Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    NO WAY! Peanut butter in oatmeal? I would have NEVER thought of that...can't wait to try it...I like the flavored oatmeals with sugar free french vanilla creamer...so yummy

As to snacks...do you like pickles? Only 5 cals per spear and gives you lots of flavor AND crunch...usually only eat one and that takes the desire to eat.
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I like pickles too!
  • banchubob
    Options
    Don't forget about raw Veggies, Celery, Carrots, Cucumber, Tomatoes, and Bell Peppers help me get through the day! Also try making a salad of Arugula, Green Beans, and broccoli slaw. (But watch the Dressing, I found one that is zero calories. Walden Farms Thousand Island) Without the veggies I found be finishing off 3 bags of Cheetos!
  • kgasser
    kgasser Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    MMMM...Cheetohs...NO, Bad thought! Bad thought!, Go away, bad thought! :bigsmile:
  • sweetpeagal
    Options
    Hey! Thanks for all the tips. I think my food diary is public now. :)