Meal replacement shakes

Options

Replies

• MissPeppers
    MissPeppers Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm generally not for shaking. It's a lot better to have a good diet generally... but I must add that without the shaking, I would probably never get started with losing. I was at 215 lbs, and when I started all I knew was that I needed to eat differently - and thus started shaking. So I do believe it may be an OK way to start out - but please, for your own sake, learn how to make your everyday diet better rather than keeping at shakes and returning to the same diet that you know is not good for you. I learned the hard way; until I found out what I needed to do to lose in a healthy manner and keeping it off.
  • MDWilliams1857
    MDWilliams1857 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I'm generally not for shaking. It's a lot better to have a good diet generally... but I must add that without the shaking, I would probably never get started with losing. I was at 215 lbs, and when I started all I knew was that I needed to eat differently - and thus started shaking. So I do believe it may be an OK way to start out - but please, for your own sake, learn how to make your everyday diet better rather than keeping at shakes and returning to the same diet that you know is not good for you. I learned the hard way; until I found out what I needed to do to lose in a healthy manner and keeping it off.

Im sure having meal replacement shakes are not the reason anyone here found themselves over weight. There is no reason that shakes cant be implemented into a healthy diet. The ones I drink are low fat, low calorie, good protein and a few carbs. I drink a shake for breakfast and be full for hours. Or I can take the time to make a breakfast that would do the exact same thing. So if a person is crunched for time or just feels like having a shake, why not? Heck there are days when i have a shake for breakfast, one pre workout, one post workout and one before bed.
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I did herbalife for a few months when I was 13.

Lost weight then gained it all back on (plus more) when I started eating properly.

Like others have said, eat real food. Don't feel like it? Make a smoothie with a decent amount of calories.
  • MDWilliams1857
    Options

Lost weight then gained it all back on (plus more) when I started eating properly.

Like others have said, eat real food. Don't feel like it? Make a smoothie with a decent amount of calories.

So drinking calories in the form of a smoothie is ok but a shake is bad? Why? My shake probably has less calories and better macro ratios than your smoothie.
  • 75in2013
    75in2013 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I love healthy homemade protein shakes and have one for breakfast each day. Mornings are crazy for me as I am getting kids off to school and myself to work, so I load the blender with dry ingredients before bed, then add milk, frozen fruit, whatever, in the morning, whirr away for a few seconds, pour into a tall glass, and head out the door, glass in hand! I sip it slowly during my 20 minute drive to work, and it keeps me satisfied for 3 or 4 hours. I use a few different recipes - banana PB chocolate, or vanilla mixed berry, or almond butter mocha...

This.
  • AnahitaCanDoIt
    Options
    I used Cambridge Shakes (UK). The come premixed in boxes w/ a straw or in sachets you mix with water. I only used them as total meal replacement for about 5weeks and then when I got out of the obese category and into the overweight category I added one meal at a time until I was eating all food...I lost 77lbs. That was about 2 yrs ago or so.

I kept it off very well until the last few months when family tragedy struck and I had major abdominal surgery which meant I couldn't do any training at all. I have taken off 13lbs of what I gained back and still have another stone or more to go to get to my goal.

I agree with the people here; meal replacement is not a solution for a life time battle with food addiction and/or an unhealthy relationship with your body. I also don't think someone who only has a little weight to lose can possibly understand the desperation and pain of having a lot of weight to lose.

I still sometimes use a shake or bar (Atkins Advantage) when I'm in a sticky situation where I know there is going to be no decent food and I can't bring it with me (for example on a train journey from one city abroad to another)...they are something I always have in my bag but if there's real healthy preferably fresh raw food to eat, I'll eat that.

Just my €0.02.
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    The only time I ever use meal replacement shakes is when I am having to restrict my diet to liquids only. This usually comes from either Dental work, or a stomach virus. I still need to get calories in, but without eating real foods. I use Slim Fast if I have to subject myself to this. I don't recommend doing any of these plans, however, because they are not long-term solutions. You will gain the weight back.
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Slim Fast shakes is really what kick-started my dieting......I'll typically have a shake for lunch, or breakfast....Most always, 90% of the time, for breakfast. I like working out in the morning.....but I find it hard working out on an empty stomach, so I'll take down a SlimFast (generic actually...WM brand) on the way to the gym....then make my own Whey Protein shake post-workout when I get home, typically throwing in some fiber, peanut butter, and left over coffee from breakfast (since I don't typically drink coffee before my work out).

I don't see a problem with a shake a day.....I like them because of the nutritional content they have....they are very nutrient rich....saves not needing a multi-vitamin (or only taking half the dose).
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Every time there is one of these threads there are the slew of comments about how you shouldn't drink meal replacements and blah blah blah. I don't believe the OP was asking if she SHOULD drink them, she was asking for opinions from those that DO drink them. There is nothing wrong with drinking a meal replacement shake if that's what you choose to do. If you are using a healthy one, there's no reason you can't drink it the rest of your life if you want to. If you are learning portion control and healthy eatting then you won't gain back the weight when you stop drinking them. You continue to eat sensibly, staying in your calorie goals.

When someone asks for an opinion about wether or not to drink them, then feel free to preach about how much of a waste you think they are, but when someone is asking about opinions from those who actually drink them - move on and let those people share their opinions.

I'm sorry, but I get so tired of the negativity every time someone posts about nutritional shakes.
    THIS!!! I do drink meal replacement shakes and yes, it is something that I could quite easily continue for the rest of my life. I really do not see how it is anyones place to judge. At the moment I am using Natures Life.

As long as people are getting, at least 2 to 3 regular meals per day, I don't see anything wrong with using shakes for the other meals. I read somewhere that the body will burn calories by breaking down food for digestion, if you are drinking your food, it doesn't need to work as hard to digest, so you will not receive that benefit. I like shakes, so I will usually do 1 or 2 per day. It seems to curb my cravings for junk food, so it keeps me on track, and is much better for me than some other choices I could make for snacks.
  • yancymichele
    yancymichele Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    i love cappuccino slimfast also chocolate royale slimfast. i drive a school bus and have a very weird schedule so i eat every couple hours.slimfast is handy, easy, already premixed. i like the taste, also i like the nutrition content, fiber, protein and low on fat. sometimes i'll use special k protein shakes, they are similar in nutrition, but sometimes they bother my stomach. i plan on continuing to drink slimfast even after i reach my goal weight. so i dont think regaining weight should be an issue.
  • mariagabriella
    Options

So drinking calories in the form of a smoothie is ok but a shake is bad? Why? My shake probably has less calories and better macro ratios than your smoothie.

maybe because a smoothie has real food in it? and consuming real food is sustainable during maintenance? and did I ever say a shake was bad? no I did not. I don't support shakes as meal replacements. I believe that there are better options. and lol how does something with less calories somehow make it better? how is 100-200 calories an acceptable meal replacement? you can get carbs and protein in meal replacements. can you get your essential fatty acids? I guess you would need to either: eat real food for that, or take a supplement.

and I don't even drink smoothies lol.

I'm glad that you think your shakes are better than my smoothies that I don't drink. considering you know what I eat and all.

I'm not fussed with what people choose to consume because it's their body, and everyone needs to do what works for them. I do wish I had someone advise me against meal replacements when I was doing them, but alas I did not.
  • MDWilliams1857
    Options
    If you dont drink smoothies how can you be an advocate for drinking smoothies. And what part of a meal replacement shake is not real food?
  • gurganuss
    gurganuss Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    A lot of my friends at work drink shakes, the herbalife ones, but I find that they are high in calories. If I eat fruits and veggies for snack and usually yogurt for breakfast and a salad for lunch I consume less calories than they do with one shake.

I am sure they work for some people but have to agree, its like weight watchers when you stop counting you gain it all back but that is the case with any weight loss, you have to make it a life style change and not just a diet if you want to keep it off.
  • mariagabriella
    Options
    If you dont drink smoothies how can you be an advocate for drinking smoothies. And what part of a meal replacement shake is not real food?

I didn't think I had to drink smoothies to offer it as a suggestion. Just like a lot of health professionals don't take their own advice, does that make them any less knowledgeable?

I don't understand how extracts of something can be classified as food. what part of a shake is real food?
  • 75in2013
    75in2013 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how extracts of something can be classified as food. what part of a shake is real food?

"Food is any substance consumed to provide nutritional support for the body. It is usually of plant or animal origin, and contains essential nutrients, such as carbohydrates, fats, proteins, vitamins, or minerals. The substance is ingested by an organism and assimilated by the organism's cells in an effort to produce energy, maintain life, or stimulate growth." (Wikipedia)

I doubt that there is a definition for "real food".
  • jfatheree78
    jfatheree78 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for all the other shakes out there, but Shakeology is packed full of Superfoods such as chia, flax, quinoa, brown rice, pea, spinach and countless other wholesome ingredients. While that might not sound like it tastes great, it does! Chia naturally helps you stay full (I stay full from these shakes for about 3 hours). There is nothing artificial in Shakeology, including the flavoring. It is chalk full of vitamins and alone has 160 calories (new chocolate flavor). For a snack, 160 calories is great, for a meal I add things to it like fruit, or peanutbutter to increase calories.

I only drink one a day and I am well aware that there is no magic formula that is going to melt the fat off my body. This isn't one of those "drink 2 shakes, and eat a salad every day" kind of plans. If you are on one of those you probably aren't learning to eat right, and you probably will gain the weight back when you stop using it. That's not what Shakeology is about. It's nutritious, delicious and easy. For me, it took the place of a fastfood breakfast because that's what I had time for before I started the shakes. Now I skip the fast food and make my shake when I get to work.

Will I gain the weight back if I stop drinking the shakes? Well, if I go back to eating fast food, probably. But I am learning to eat healthy for all my other meals as well as adding exercise to my routine. Stopping the shake will not cause me to gain weight. Going back to bad eating habits and ceasing to exercise will.
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    E very time there is one of these threads there are the slew of comments about how you shouldn't drink meal replacements and blah blah blah. I don't believe the OP was asking if she SHOULD drink them, she was asking for opinions from those that DO drink them. There is nothing wrong with drinking a meal replacement shake if that's what you choose to do. If you are using a healthy one, there's no reason you can't drink it the rest of your life if you want to. If you are learning portion control and healthy eatting then you won't gain back the weight when you stop drinking them. You continue to eat sensibly, staying in your calorie goals.

When someone asks for an opinion about wether or not to drink them, then feel free to preach about how much of a waste you think they are, but when someone is asking about opinions from those who actually drink them - move on and let those people share their opinions.

I'm sorry, but I get so tired of the negativity every time someone posts about nutritional shakes.

I agree. I use simply right from Sam's club. I mix it with Unsweetened almond milk. Don't use it everyday but like having it whn a meal isn't convenient at the time.
  • anapestic
    anapestic Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have no issue with commercially available shakes, except that I haven't ever liked the ones I've tried. But I will often go with a breakfast smoothie made with Greek yogurt and frozen fruit. If I'm feeling virtuous, I might also add a handful of spinach, which sort of disappears into the smoothie.

I use the Greek yogurt because it has a lot of protein for the calories. I get the Kirkland brand from Costco because it's a lot less expensive than most brands. Costco also has a lot of frozen fruit options. I do find that it's important to have a strong blender, and because the yogurt is cold and the fruit is frozen, I often have to add water to get something that isn't too thick to drink. Also, I'll sometimes add a packet of Splenda, if the fruit I'm using isn't very sweet.

In any case, that usually gets me a big, filling smoothie for about 200 calories.