First Half-Marathon Completed! Considering One? DO IT!

Options
Yahoo! I just completed my first half-marathon yesterday, with a time of 1hr 42mins 19sec. FEELING GREAT!

For all of you considering doing one, or those who are hesitating for whatever reason, DO IT. The feeling you get at the finish is amazing, and the support you get along the way from families, friends, and spectators is overwhelming. If you need motivation for weight loss, to achieve your goals, to get over a 'speed-bump' in your training or exercise routine, regime, or just for the sheer feeling of this.....DO IT.

I'm fairly new to 'competitive' running and races, but I've caught the bug. We all come to MFP for a reason, and that is to achieve certain goals, be they weight (number on a scale) or fitness (strength and health). In my opinion, after having done this yesterday, it is a great way to see that your training and healthy eating is paying off, and the best possible motivator to keep on truckin.

Of course, start off with a 5k and work your way up, but doing something organized like this is DEFINITELY a great way to lift your spirits, re-set your goals, meet others with similar ones, and see how your hard work and dedication to this site/lifestyle is paying off.

Next year......marathon? :-D

Replies

• beernpizza
    beernpizza Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Awesome! That's amazing! I just signed up to do my first 1/2 in April of next year. I'm a little nervous, but i'm ready for it to get here.

What kind of training did you do?
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Wow! I was pleased with my 01:55:27 finish for my first. Doing my second one on Saturday. Hoping for 01:45:00. . . Your time is FANTASTIC!!!!
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I'm so excited! My first half is on November 11 and I can't wait! My goal time is 1:45, but I'll be happy with anything under 2 hours.
  • agataarchangel
    agataarchangel Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Awesome! That's amazing! I just signed up to do my first 1/2 in April of next year. I'm a little nervous, but i'm ready for it to get here.

What kind of training did you do?

Well, I didn't follow any particular training program, per se, but I run every day- normally about 3-4.5 miles, in addition to the elliptical (about 40mins). I do a little strength training on no cardio days, and then when it's warm enough out, a 10k on weekends...not time-based though.

So basically, my "training" was just about general conditioning, and finding that pace/breathing that works for you...once you find that, you can go on and on and on...... I'd say, focus on breathing and conditioning, and the odd longer run.
  • wils_1961
    wils_1961 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    well done......my son done his too....
  • agataarchangel
    Options
    April and November are GREAT months for that...not too hot, so you won't have to deal with the heat/humidity during your runs.

Mine started off at 8 degrees, I think, so I started with a running tank and a little cotton sweater....and then 10mins in the body finally warmed up and I actually threw my sweater away. Lol. I have yet to find it post-race ;-). WAY better than the heat though!
  • JPKemp
    Options
    WOW...yall give me hope, I have been running for 8 weeks...did my first 5K in 32 min about 2 weeks ago..Im up to 7 miles in 1:17 minutes..LONG way to go but I figure hey...I'm faster than all the people sitting on the couch....Running my first 10K in March...
    GOOD LUCK...YOU WILL DO GREAT!!!!!!!!
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Good job! That is an incredible finishing time!!!!

So I remember your discussion last week and the question you asked...was everything ok with that? :-) I guess nothing that happened could have been too bad if you are already talking about a full marathon!
  • agataarchangel
    Options
    WOW...yall give me hope, I have been running for 8 weeks...did my first 5K in 32 min about 2 weeks ago..Im up to 7 miles in 1:17 minutes..LONG way to go but I figure hey...I'm faster than all the people sitting on the couch....Running my first 10K in March...
    GOOD LUCK...YOU WILL DO GREAT!!!!!!!!

32 mins is great for a first 5k!! And if you've only been running for 8 weeks!? Great job, girl!

Best of luck on your first 10k- with that kind of training and your current time, you'll do just fine! And you're totally right; whatever time you finish with, you WILL finish, and you are way ahead of those on their couches at home or watching the event on tv. Hehe.
  • agataarchangel
    Options
    Haha...nope! No "Issues"! I Was pleasantly surprised, amazed, and HAPPY about that. I did the Pepto trick the morning-of, and all was peachy during the run.

I took the relaxed approach, and thought of it as another Sunday run, and told myself if I had to stop I would....but looked around, saw that somehow everyone else was holding it, I could hold it, and then just focused on running and breathing, and my music and all was good....thankfully ;-)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on a great time at the Army Run. I've yet to get below 2hrs myself (best so far 2:14). I did the 5K yesterday as I'm planning on doing the Fall Colours duathlon in a couple of weeks.
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Awesome time! Congrats! :)

Did my first half yesterday too....2:14..so feeling pretty awesome too.
  • MissFit0101
    Options
    Just wanted to say congrats. That is an incredible time girl!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Nice job! That is an excellent time, you will only get faster and faster as you race more.
  • AmyW125
    AmyW125 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I just ran my 1st 1/2 2 weeks ago too! The feeling is amazing. Congrats on your time....AWESOME!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • Melissa26point2
    Melissa26point2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Wow! Super Impressive time! I am doing my first half in November and so far, my long run is 9 miles. I did that yesterday in 1:23. I felt great and have so much excitement for the race!

Well done! Keep it up :)
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Good job on a great half! was it the Army Run half by any chance? I notice from your profile pic looks like one of their bibs. I did the 5K; had been training for a 10K but tripped, fell on my knee scored 4 different injuries some related to my tibial plateau and had to take 3 months off SO...Going to run the Resolution Run 5 and then either do Race Weekend 10K or Redemption 11K.

Yesterday's 5 was my fifth in about ayear, my fastest time was a 34:04
  • laureltn
    laureltn Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Ran my first this weekend too -- I was very pleased with my time but you are a rocket. Go you!!!
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Smoken fast time! My second half is in Jan. I'm hoping to get it under 2:00. Last time I did it,it was in 2:46. I'm in better shape now and 21 pounds lighter. :drinker: :drinker:
  • agataarchangel
    Options
    Smoken fast time! My second half is in Jan. I'm hoping to get it under 2:00. Last time I did it,it was in 2:46. I'm in better shape now and 21 pounds lighter. :drinker: :drinker:

Whoo! You'll be flying! Hehe. January, too huh? That'll be a nippy one! :-). Best of luck :-)