Carrot pumpkin crack..er... Cupcakes!

Options
lilawolf
lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
Cupcakes:
1 box carrot cake mix
1 15oz can pumpkin (not pumkin pie filling!)
1 cup shredded carrots
2 eggs

Mix everything together. Put them in cupcake tins and bake for 18-20 minutes depending on the size of your cupcake. I suggest a bit of cooking spray to keep them from sticking. There is no oil in the recipe, so they tend to stick to papers if you use those. You should get 24 (80 cals w/o frosting), but I like them big and got 19 (101 cals each w/o frosting!).

Frosting:
3/4 cup heavy cream, chilled
8 oz. cream cheese, softened (I used whipped which made this easier)
1/2 cup Splenda
1 t vanilla (get the real stuff if you can afford it)

Whip the cream until stiff. In a separate bowll, beat the cream cheese until very smooth, then beat in the Splenda and vanilla. Turn the mixer to its lowest speed and blend in the whipped cream, then turn off the mixer, quick!

This made quite a bit of frosting. I put a huge dollop on each cupcake, and used about 80% of the frosting. With 19 cupcakes, each with a big spoonfull of frosting, they were:
Calories Carbs Fiber Sugar Protein Fat
164 22 1 11 3 8

These could be made smaller, with less frosting (half of the recipe would have been enough), or low fat cream cheese to make them lower cal. Enjoy!!!

Replies

• livityliv
    livityliv Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    bump...yum! These would be a great portion-controlled dessert for Thanksgiving or fall potlucks!
  • Dancerten
    Dancerten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Yum, thanks for sharing!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Cupcakes:
    1 box carrot cake mix
    1 15oz can pumpkin (not pumkin pie filling!)
    1 cup shredded carrots
    2 eggs

Mix everything together. Put them in cupcake tins and bake for 18-20 minutes depending on the size of your cupcake. I suggest a bit of cooking spray to keep them from sticking. There is no oil in the recipe, so they tend to stick to papers if you use those. You should get 24 (80 cals w/o frosting), but I like them big and got 19 (101 cals each w/o frosting!).

Frosting:
    3/4 cup heavy cream, chilled
    8 oz. cream cheese, softened (I used whipped which made this easier)
    1/2 cup Splenda
    1 t vanilla (get the real stuff if you can afford it)

Whip the cream until stiff. In a separate bowll, beat the cream cheese until very smooth, then beat in the Splenda and vanilla. Turn the mixer to its lowest speed and blend in the whipped cream, then turn off the mixer, quick!

This made quite a bit of frosting. I put a huge dollop on each cupcake, and used about 80% of the frosting. With 19 cupcakes, each with a big spoonfull of frosting, they were:
    Calories Carbs Fiber Sugar Protein Fat
    164 22 1 11 3 8

These could be made smaller, with less frosting (half of the recipe would have been enough), or low fat cream cheese to make them lower cal. Enjoy!!!

i made something very similar this past weekend except no eggs.

carrot cake mix
    2 cups shredded carrot
    4 squares dark chocolate (can be omitted)
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1 15oz can pumpkin (not pie filling)
    cinnamon
    vanilla extract

mix together, bake in cake pan following directions on box

cream cheese frosting
    4oz low fat cream cheese
    2 tablespoons sour cream
    1 banana mashed up
    1 cup powered sugar
    2 tablespoons low fat whipped topping
    mix together and freeze until almost frozen (the frosting came up soupy to me which is why i froze it or you can just leave it soupy and only use enough to drizzle on cake)

yummy!
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    The frosting I made was fantastic and thick! Not as thick as store bought, but definitely not runny. Cinnamon and vanilla would have gone well in the cake, but wasn't really necessary. Cheers!