no calories burned for weight work?

Options
I don't understand why it doesn't allow you to list calories burned for working out on weight machines. You can look each exercise up on the internet and find an average calorie burn for each machine if you are gauging yourself honestly.
I was just curious because I know you do burn some with the machines as well.

Replies

• joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    If you look in cardio it has weight training with a burn rate so add that as well as your reps/sets.

I only do the cardio on my weight since I track the details elsewhere.

Good luck
  • linddavis
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing... I am do P90X which has quite a bit of strength training but
    according to MFP, no calories burned. I am pretty sure I am burning calories...
    I will look at Cardio section and maybe use ONLY that? Thanks.:wink:
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    You do not burn calories the same strength training as you do with cardio. When you do strength training, it is a slow burn while exercising but burns more afterward. Cardio you get the cal burn as you are doing it.

i.e. when I do zumba for an hour I burn about 600-700 calories
    when I do weights for about 45 min to an hour, I burn about 200-300

Just because you don't see the immediate cal burrn with strength training doesn't mean cardio is better. strength training is the best for FAT loss.

Alot of people seem to log under cardio a strength training cal burn, but unless you have a HRM, FitBit or Bodymedia arm band, not sure you would know how many cals you were burning during strength training, and I don't trust MFP's numbers for exercise, I think some give you more calories then it should.

Hope this helps :)
  • kenny_johnson
    kenny_johnson Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    If you want to log calories burned for strength training, do it on the cardio logging. The strength training is only to measure reps, etc.