**SOB**

Options
After 7 weeks and 16 lbs, I seem to have hit a plateau.

No, I'm not going to quit; I've been working too hard, I'm feeling better and people are telling me that I'm looking healthier. But I'm sitting here trying very hard not to cry right now.

Fellow MFPers, how do you manage to soldier through plateaus?

Replies

• bigboimav
    bigboimav Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Ivr brrn on mine for almost 2 wrrks now. People saying good things is always a motivator. You just have to skeep going. Think about wwhere you were 3 months ago. That person would be very proud of you today.
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I quit making goals that pertain to weight a while back and focus on fitness goals...

the plateaus don't affect me as much psychologically any more...
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    16 pounds in 7 weeks is more than I could ever hope to lose. Realize that you averaged more than 2 pounds a week and start jumping for joy.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but this attitude makes me so sad... Put the pity party on pause and celebrate!! You lost 16 pounsd in 7 week!! Holy crapola, that is AMAZING! That's over 2 pounds per week!! Woohoo!!!!

You're not a contestant on Biggest Loser, you're just an average person trying to get healthy and fit. Stop being in such a rush Stop being so hard on yourself and think more about long term realistic healthy and fitness goals.

And honey, take it from someone who's been at this for almost 3 years...this is not a plateau, this is just a bump in the road...one of many that you will have to get over in the next year or two until you get to goal. This pity part is just a total wasteo f your energy and time! Instead take that time and energy and go for a walk or do something positive for yourself! It's just your body catching up and doing it's thing. Just keep eating right and moving and you'll see a loss again soon, I promise!
  • Khymera
    Options
    Thanks, everybody.
    You're not a contestant on Biggest Loser, you're just an average person trying to get healthy and fit. Stop being in such a rush

This went straight to my heart. Seriously, I'm going to write this down and refer to it every time I find myself feeling this way. :)
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    16 pounds in 7 weeks is more than I could ever hope to lose. Realize that you averaged more than 2 pounds a week and start jumping for joy.

THIS! I'd crap my pants if I lost 16 lbs in 7 weeks. :grumble:
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I agree, your weight loss to date has been super.

Trying to change something up should work. If we do the same thing day in and day out our body becomes a master at it.
    Try eating a bit more or less (whatever you are comfortable with) or just have one cheat meal in your week. Or try changing up your exercise somehow.

Good luck.
  • bradp1979
    bradp1979 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    After muscling through a few plateaus, I found something that has worked every time, and it's a nice treat. Take one (read ONE) meal to eat something tasty, fattening, and bad in so many ways. One fattening meal isn't going to throw away all that you've worked toward, and it won't make you dive right back into an unhealthy lifestyle. Take one meal, go nuts, and then get right back on track. Every time I have had a plateau, I have done this, and shortly after getting back on track, the weight started coming off again.
  • ImaNichols
    Options
    Always remember it's about being healthy, not losing weight. Losing weight is a side effect of getting your body and mind to where you want it to be. Stay strong and know you are doing the right thing by continuously moving forward in the right direction. If you have any doubts, stomp on them. If your mind plays tricks on you telling you to quit, know your mind is wrong. Keep going no matter what.
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    it happens to us all. the weight loss slows down when your body adjusts to your new lifestyle. you can try bumping up your calories and your exercise.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I have not lost anything in 7 months, THATS a plateau !! hehe

However, I am down 3 pant sizes, so take your measurements, keep eating right, exercising and BELIEVE in the system.
  • danne32339
    danne32339 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    No matter how much you lose, a plateau is so frustrating. You've done great but I know the feeling. If you can remember where you were and where you are now and be so proud of that. Sometimes we just have to grit out teeth and keep going. You will eventually over come the plateau. Good luck. Feel free to add me to your friend list.
    Take care,
    Doni
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but this attitude makes me so sad... Put the pity party on pause and celebrate!! You lost 16 pounsd in 7 week!! Holy crapola, that is AMAZING! That's over 2 pounds per week!! Woohoo!!!!

You're not a contestant on Biggest Loser, you're just an average person trying to get healthy and fit. Stop being in such a rush Stop being so hard on yourself and think more about long term realistic healthy and fitness goals.

And honey, take it from someone who's been at this for almost 3 years...this is not a plateau, this is just a bump in the road...one of many that you will have to get over in the next year or two until you get to goal. This pity part is just a total wasteo f your energy and time! Instead take that time and energy and go for a walk or do something positive for yourself! It's just your body catching up and doing it's thing. Just keep eating right and moving and you'll see a loss again soon, I promise!

Exactamento
  • Sailatsorf
    Sailatsorf Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I plateaued MAJORLY after losing 15 pounds. I was stuck at 199 for months. I just kept working at it, and eventually I shed another ten pounds. And now I'm stuck at 189, haha. Seems like every 10-15 pounds, my body stops for a little bit.
  • adelitas_star
    Options
    Try increasing your calories by 200.
  • Trinah45
    Trinah45 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This spoke to me also and I'm gonna remember it also! Keep up the good work I'm at 7 lbs at 4 weeks and feeling somewhat the same but will continue on. I didnt gain this weight overnight (even though it sometimes seems like it, lol) , and I wont lose it overnight. Keep up the great work . 16 lbs is awesome !
  • MVY_
    MVY_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    16 lb isn't bad! I'm serious. I'm about that time and I lost only 8 lbs!
  • Janet9906
    Janet9906 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I've been in one since July...I know how frustrating it is, so what I did was set my goal at "maintain my current weight". I'm going to do this for a week, then set it back to lose a 1lb per week next week. I don't know if it will help, but I'm trying to do anything to break through this.

Good luck!!
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Change something...either the calorie intake (up it or lower it) or change your exercise, take a break from exercise.

Personally, I lose in phases...like I loose 2-4lbs in one week then nothing for 4-6 weeks then I lose 2-4lbs and then nothing...but that's just how my body works.

But if you get stuck for too long you should definitely change something. But, give the changes time to work, it make taake w eek or 2 to see the results from your change as your body adjusts
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    hit plateau? eat more food.

start to raise calories by like 50-100 a day for each a week. extended dieting is what causes a plateau because the metabolism will slow if you are in a defecit for an extended period. so relax off the diet and raise calories VERY SLOWLY (possibly increase the volume of your training) and you will realize that you can eat more food and stay the same weight. Do this until you gain about 3-5lbs (should be over couple of months, maybe you realize you lose more weight by eating more calories) back then decrease with a small caloric defecit and you should be able to drop lbs without dieting as hard