How long does fresh keep?

Options
Got some at Aldis last week, still looks good, but it's been 7 days.

Replies

• janemem
    janemem Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Fresh what??!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Fresh what?

But if it looks okay and smells okay, you're probably fine. A lot of people throw away food that they don't need to due to common thought about the frailty of food, when a lot of stuff if much sturdier and lasts longer than most people think/expect.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    As others have said, it depends on what it is. Fresh apples, I'd still eat them after a week. Fresh lettuce, I'd throw away.
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Haha! I was multitasking....BROCOLLI. !!!! That's what I was TALKIN about !!!! Lol ! Monday:blushing:
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I believe fresh broccoli should be used within 3 days of purchase.
  • Krisengel
    Krisengel Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'd say if it's still crisp and doesn't smell funny it's still good.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Ummmmm.........lol
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options

It goes yellow before starting to smell should be OK. some of ours gets to 14 days before being eaten. bad planning and buying double.
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options

It goes yellow before starting to smell should be OK. some of ours gets to 14 days before being eaten. bad planning and buying double.

Us, too.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Then I stick by my previous answer. If it looks good (not turning yellow or brown anywhere), doesn't have a funny smell, and isn't all bendy, then you're good to go. Enjoy.

And heck, even if it is a little yellow in spots and bendy, you're not going to get sick eating it, it's just not going to be as nice tasting and will probably have a slightly different texture when cooked, but it's still fine. I'd just trim off the worst looking bits and eat it still.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Haha! I was multitasking....BROCOLLI. !!!! That's what I was TALKIN about !!!! Lol ! Monday:blushing:

Perhaps multitasking isn't as effective as we all thought...anyhow, if it's still green and crisp, eat it.
  • mphlab
    mphlab Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I have let it get a bit bendy before and it was still alright. It it gets slimey then it is too old! If there are any bad spot on my broccoli or cauliflower, I just trim them off!
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    How long does fresh stay fresh?

Freshness stays fresh as long as fresh freshness is fresh.

Otherwise, it's not called fresh anymore.
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    So long as there is no slime - I say go for it - just cut off serious discolored spots and maybe wack a little bit more from the stems than you normally would.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Then I stick by my previous answer. If it looks good (not turning yellow or brown anywhere), doesn't have a funny smell, and isn't all bendy, then you're good to go. Enjoy.

And heck, even if it is a little yellow in spots and bendy, you're not going to get sick eating it, it's just not going to be as nice tasting and will probably have a slightly different texture when cooked, but it's still fine. I'd just trim off the worst looking bits and eat it still.

This. Unless it's flat out moldly, or slimy produce is not apt to make you sick. Also, moldy broccoli smells TERRIBLE--you'd know if it was bad just by opening your fridge.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    As others have said, it depends on what it is. Fresh apples, I'd still eat them after a week. Fresh lettuce, I'd throw away.

Apples are often kept in warehouses for *months* before they show up at the store--I'd eat an apple that has been in my fridge for pretty much any period of time, unless it was seriously shrived, moldy, or had mushy brown spots.
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options

Apples are often kept in warehouses for *months* before they show up at the store--I'd eat an apple that has been in my fridge for pretty much any period of time, unless it was seriously shrived, moldy, or had mushy brown spots.

Then I trim them apples up and make applesauce. Because I am cheap and apples are not.