Are you as tall as you think you are?

Options
I recently measured my height and discovered I'm an inch shorter than I've always thought and 1.5 inches shorter than my driver license says. The horror!

So, my questions for you:

1. Do you go by your real, bare-footed height?

2. Is that the same height you use to calculate your goals, BMI, etc.?

I know old insurance height/weight charts used to factor in an extra inch for shoes. It obviously doesn't matter too much and I always prefer the cold, hard facts. I was just curious if other people stretch the truth and their height or tell it like it is.

(P.S. My driver license says I'm 5-8, but the tape measure told me I'm 5-6.5, sniff, sniff.)

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I was curious enough to go measure my height...and surprise! I'm taller than I thought :tongue: I've always assumed 5'3.5 for my height (I have that number in my head from high school, I think), 5'4 for the sake of simplicity. I got 5'4.25 just now. Hmm, will have to have my husband take another measurement to verify that for me later.
  • LeidaPrimal
    LeidaPrimal Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I do. It was always without shoes, in metric, since metric by far more precise. I like being as accurate as possible about my measurments. I like knowing everything precisely.
  • BonJody
    BonJody Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Ha! You found my 3/4 of an inch, pinuplove! Can I have it back, please?
  • jenneal89
    Options
    I am exactly as tall as I think I am:) I used to measure myself every few months lol I always go barefoot because that's my real height. Otherwise I'd be at least 4-6 inches taller because I wear high heels
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Ha! You found my 3/4 of an inch, pinuplove! Can I have it back, please?

Nooo! I need all the help I can get :tongue:
  • mell6355
    mell6355 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I was almost 6 foot in highschool, I remember telling everyone "no I am 5'11.5" I didn't want to be the 6 foot girl! I went to the doctor after my second child and an extra 60 pounds on my mid section and he tells me you 5'9" There is no way I lost 2.5" so I figure its got to be my slouch and poor posture with all the extra weight pulling me down and around. Once I get to my weight loss goal I am going to measure myself and stand proud and tall, (pretty sure I will be at least 5'11").
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I measure every few months for accuracy.. I'm definitely 5'10" almost exactly.
  • BonJody
    Options
    Posture definitely plays into it. I was trying to stand up straight. I guess it would've helped over the years to measure my height. Heaven and so many scales know I've weighed myself a gazillion times.

Obviously, I have to make a mental adjustment that I'm a bit shorter than previously thought, but that's not a huge deal.

Knowing I have to lose an additional five pounds to get to a healthy BMI, well, that is a huge deal! :)
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I was curious because I know you shrink with age. Remeasured barefoot and I am, indeed, 5'10" (5'11" in the morning).

Remeasured everything else too. It was bigger when I started than I thought. It's smaller now.

To the person who shrunk when pregnant - My arches are very high and when I was pregnant my arches got higher and my feet shrank and I gained half and inch. Most people get flatter and larger feet.
  • altacosturabeth
    altacosturabeth Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    For a few years I assumed I was 5'4 but nope, I discovered around a year ago that I was 5'3!

I possibly still have around a year or so left in me to grow that extra inch but I've barely grown since the age of 13 so I'm not really expecting it!
  • Annecook1256
    Options
    I'm 4'11.5 but I round up to 5'0. I just can't bear the fact that I'm under 5'0, and 4'11.5 sounds so short. Plus my boyfriend is 6'0 so it would be funny if he was more than a foot taller than me. I haven't grown since 7th grade :(
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I just measured myself, fully expecting at my age to be, if anything, a tad shorter than the 5'6" I thought I was. Surprise! I'm nearly an inch taller! I'm just a shade under 5'7".
  • BonJody
    Options
    For fun, I just checked to see if a morning measurement would make a difference. HALLELUJAH! I AM 5-FOOT-7. Sweet - found half an inch.

Tomorrow I'm going to wake up at 4:30 a.m. and see how I tall I can get myself to be again.

Pretty sure my big belly is bringing my height down, too.
  • mell6355
    mell6355 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    For fun, I just checked to see if a morning measurement would make a difference. HALLELUJAH! I AM 5-FOOT-7. Sweet - found half an inch.

Tomorrow I'm going to wake up at 4:30 a.m. and see how I tall I can get myself to be again.

Pretty sure my big belly is bringing my height down, too.

LOL I needed a good chuckle this morning!
  • Birdie
    Birdie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Well I know how tall I am, but it is shorter than I used to be. I can thank degenerative disk dease for that.
  • lizardcave
    lizardcave Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I have to have my height checked every year for health insurance.

I always thought I was 6' tall.

I'm now 6'1".

Boo.