water myth

Options
Is it true that the more water you drink its better for your diet.. and ice cold water is even better because your stomach works to burn it? or something..?

Replies

• Culley34
    Options
    Water is essential if you want to see success with your diet.

If you drink ice cold water, then yes -- you're body will need to warm it up. However, the calories burned as a result are fairly negligible (~10-15 calories).
  • katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    I have found that by drinking (mostly) water, my body has FELT a lot better. Loading myself up with fake sugars and stuff I can't pronounce in sodas probably isn't actually good for me. Juice has a ton of sugar in it also. And sweet tea is just empty calories. I sometimes drink unsweet tea.. But I'd much rather just have water.
  • emnk5308
    Options
    Drinking water is ESSENTIAL for EVERY function of your body. EVERY FUNCTION =) So you NEED it.
  • quietHiker
    quietHiker Posts: 1,442 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that (since cutting out sodas) my body doesn't feel right unless I get in a good 8 glasses of water in me.
  • Emmes101
    Options
    I hate water. Hate it. But I force myself to drink it and sometimes add MIO or Crystal Light flavor packets to my ice water (I use a Brita filter bottle - $10 @ Walmart). That said - I've found that the more water I drink .. the more my body CRAVES it .. instead of juice, tea, soda, etc. Ever notice when you're thirsty and you drink pop, you're STILL thirsty? Even your body knows it isn't good for you. :*( Don't get me wrong, I love an ice cold Diet Coke .. but it's rare I will have one, just because it tastes so much different when you aren't drinking them every day. ; )
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Water is essential if you want to see success with your diet.

If you drink ice cold water, then yes -- you're body will need to warm it up. However, the calories burned as a result are fairly negligible (~10-15 calories).

yep.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    bump
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Water is important for much more than just weight loss.
    But, I've found that it does aid in weight loss...not really from calories burned warming up from ice water, but just because it's all I drink now except for my coffee (black, no sugar). Also, it helps keep you feeling "full" so you don't snack as much. Or, it does that for me. :smile:
  • StarLeopard
    StarLeopard Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I was hardly ever thirsty before cutting back on carbs. Now I have no trouble drinking the 8 cups per day plus coffee and other liquids. I do try to front load most of it to morning so I'm not up so much during the night getting rid of it. :drinker: I drink whatever temperature water helps the most with geting my daily quota.
  • nascarbettie
    nascarbettie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I hate water. Hate it. But I force myself to drink it and sometimes add MIO or Crystal Light flavor packets to my ice water (I use a Brita filter bottle - $10 @ Walmart). That said - I've found that the more water I drink .. the more my body CRAVES it .. instead of juice, tea, soda, etc. Ever notice when you're thirsty and you drink pop, you're STILL thirsty? Even your body knows it isn't good for you. :*( Don't get me wrong, I love an ice cold Diet Coke .. but it's rare I will have one, just because it tastes so much different when you aren't drinking them every day. ; )

I was the same way when I started but now I actually like water. I get Ozarka and I've gotten used to not drinking anything sweet. I refuse to consume aspertame. So water is the only way for me. There is such thing as water toxicity so don't over do it on water. But to do that you have to really drink a lot of it.
  • whayamean
    whayamean Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing people get stuck in their head is 64oz a day. The general rule SHOULD be more like take your weight half it and drink that in oz. If you weigh 150 you should be drinking 75oz of water a day if you weigh 200 you should be drinking 100oz. Or basically drink until your pee is mostly clear and try to keep it that way. ESPECIALLY if you're working out and sweating a lot. It flushes out all the toxins in your body and keeps your hydrated. When you are dehydrated your body will hold on to more water instead of flushing it out. I mostly drink water I have some milk and some green tea typically and I feel great for it. I definitely had to work my way up to drinking enough water but I DEFINITELY could tell a difference.
    ***You will have to go to the bathroom a lot more when you start out but your body does adapt to it and you won't be running to the bathroom so much after a while.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    On Saturday I went swimming after mowing the lawn. I didn't rehydrate enough after the mowing. As a result, at lap 69 of 72 I got a cramp in my calf muscle that actually made me swallow some pool water. Awful.
    I drink water while doing the swim but I probably need a bigger bottle.
    Getting dehydrated during the day can trigger a hunger reflex too. I reach for water when that happens rather than my pocket to see if I have change for the vending machine.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Is it true that the more water you drink its better for your diet.. and ice cold water is even better because your stomach works to burn it? or something..?

the cold water thing is BS... but drinkning water helps process nutrients you eat better and fills you up..benefits to drinking water are endless. the more water the better

i drink between 1-1.5 gallons a day.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Sort of... If you're drinking water all day, you're not going to have much time to drink soda, juice, ice coffee with sugary syrup and whipped cream, etc. So that's saving you calories. Just drinking more water isn't necessarily going to make you lose weight but it will make you healthier, will probably make your skin look better and it will help you work out better as well. Hydration is key!

And as someone else already said, the amount of calories your body uses to raise the temperature of ice water is negligible. If you want to burn a few extra calories, take the stairs instead of the elevator and park further away from the door. Don't torture yourself with ice cold water! Brrrrr
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options

I can't understand hating water. Also, I think it's poor advice to add something to it that contains dyes and artificial sweeteners. There are better things that can be added; bit of fruit juice, squeeze of lemon/lime, herbal teas, herbs (mint, sage,etc).

Our bodies need lots of water; every function relies on it.

Edit: I don't like ice water myself. I drink mine room temperature.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

the cold water thing causes a very negligible amount of caloric expenditure. so i wouldn't read too much into it.

but drinking lots of water could be beneficial. you won't hold onto water weight, you'll feel full, and your body can function better.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Drinking enough water is good regardless of whether you are trying to lose weight or not. Whether "more" is better would depend on how much you are already drinking. It is uncommon, but it is possible to drink too much water. Drinking water can help curb hunger for some, and if you drink a glass of water shortly before eating you may feel full on less food. In this way, it may help with weight loss.

When you drink cold water your body was work to warm it. Any work done by your body burns calories. But the amount of work required to warm iced drinks is very small and won't help with weight loss.