Kettlebells

Options
I love kettlebells, and used to do it a lot last year. I have about 80 pounds that I want to lose, do you think that by doing Kettlebells it would do justice, or do you think I need more of a running/higher cardio workout? Kettlebells is cardio and toning/weights at the same time, so I need some input! Thanks!

Replies

• mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    How is a kettlebell anymore cardio than any other strength training? You certainly need both cardio and strength, I just don't know how a kettlebell gives you the same kind of cardio as swimming, or running, or roller skating.
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    It's the exercises you do with them. Think of it as weight circuits from hell, or aerobics with weights. Like blasting a ton of powerlifting exercises back to back to back and then shifting to a different set of exercises, except with lower weights than a powerlifter so more toning and aerobics and less "World's Strongest Man" competitor.
  • beccao
    Options
    It is a total body workout, if you have never tried it I recommend it! It is a workout you won't forget and it is an accomplishment every time! The workouts I did were completed in a half hour but they were extremely intense! I was thinking about doing MWF Running and T&Th Kettlebells, any ideas??? Or suggestions???
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    Here I bumped into this link while reading something else:

http://www.dietsinreview.com/diet_column/02/benefits-of-kettlebells-for-women/

It specifically refers to it as weight training and says you should couple it with cardio workouts.
  • fozzy33
    Options
    Ive been seeing great results coupling it with Cardio these past few days.

I do a 10 minute warmup
    Get out on my mountain bike for a half hour
    Then Ido 30 minutes of circuit training w/Kettlebells
    Then I get on my wii for another 30 minutes doing bowling, baseball or boxing...

All In all Im doing about 75 minutes with warmup/cooldown

My burn is anywhere from 650-700 doing this.

Michelle
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    if you do it right, kettlebells can be an awesome addition to a decent HIIT workout. On there own, they are limited in their functionality, but add it to a full hiit workout and they can be very dynamic.
  • cbnorris
    cbnorris Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions regarding kettlebells? What's a good DVD to use with them?
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Just chiming in to say that my boyfriend and I just signed up for a 6-week beginning kettlebell class. To keep my circuit workouts fresh I've been wanting to start incorporating kettlebells but I want to make sure that I have my form right.

Starts on Sunday, April 11th and I couldn't be more excited. I'm prepared for some DOMS and bruised wrists after my first day, though.
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    Just chiming in to say that my boyfriend and I just signed up for a 6-week beginning kettlebell class. To keep my circuit workouts fresh I've been wanting to start incorporating kettlebells but I want to make sure that I have my form right.

Starts on Sunday, April 11th and I couldn't be more excited. I'm prepared for some DOMS and bruised wrists after my first day, though.
    My husband loves them so he bought me one...I couldn't get over the fact that it hurt me physically...bruised wrists/forearms. Is that normal???
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    My husband loves them so he bought me one...I couldn't get over the fact that it hurt me physically...bruised wrists/forearms. Is that normal???

From what I've been told, yes it is normal until you perfect the form. I was told that, if I bruise easily, I should wear thick cloth wrist bands to class.
  • Mamakatspokane
    Options

From what I've been told, yes it is normal until you perfect the form. I was told that, if I bruise easily, I should wear thick cloth wrist bands to class.
    Great idea on the wrist bands!
  • cbnorris
    Options

I'd like to know how you like this after you start. Any maybe you good pass along some tips for a begginer like me after a few sessions.
  • erykah0384
    Options

It specifically refers to it as weight training and says you should couple it with cardio workouts.

dietsinreview.com is a great source of information with highly professional staff, I also wanted to pass along a new study that ACE fitness recently did on kettlebells. I think you all will find it very helpful and interesting. When kettlebells are done at high intensity - they are absolutely considered a cardio workout, one that willl leaving you gasping for breath! I have lost 10lbs in the past six weeks - doing kettlebells exclusively! Best of luck to you in your weight loss efforts!

http://www.acefitness.org/getfit/studies/kettlebells012010.pdf
  • Mamakatspokane
    Options

dietsinreview.com is a great source of information with highly professional staff, I also wanted to pass along a new study that ACE fitness recently did on kettlebells. I think you all will find it very helpful and interesting. When kettlebells are done at high intensity - they are absolutely considered a cardio workout, one that willl leaving you gasping for breath! I have lost 10lbs in the past six weeks - doing kettlebells exclusively! Best of luck to you in your weight loss efforts!

http://www.acefitness.org/getfit/studies/kettlebells012010.pdf
    Can't wait to read, thank you.
    How heavy is your kettlebell?
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    How is a kettlebell anymore cardio than any other strength training? You certainly need both cardio and strength, I just don't know how a kettlebell gives you the same kind of cardio as swimming, or running, or roller skating.

Try doing some kettlebell swings, you will quickly learn the cardio benefit of working with kettlebells.
  • erykah0384
    Options
    I use a 15lb kettlebell currently. I've read that 26lb is a good starting weight for women typically. I started lower because I'm barely 5 feet tall, it all depends on your fitness level. I might have gotten discouraged starting at a higher weight - I find the exercises very difficult. But I love it, they are so much fun!

I've been doing Andrea DuCane's Goddess DVD. I've started doing some of the routines twice through as my 15lbs becomes easier. I plan on moving up in weight sometime in the near future. dragondoor.com is a good site to check out for articles about kettlebells. I've just ordered Lauren Brooks' DVD as well, she has a great reputation!
  • cbnorris
    Options
    Thanks for the info girl!
  • ultimatetobie
    Options
    Hey all, just joining in the convo about kettlebells since that is my very favorite tool for working out. I've been doing it for a little over a year now since my mother actually got me my first bell for my birthday as well as a 10 week class. I've lost about 30 pounds with them so far and have toned toned toned everything I've got!!

I train 4-5 days a week with 60 minute kettlbell workouts. I use one or two of the 12kg/26.5lbs and a 24kg/53lbs for swings, dead-lifts, crunches and vary the workout for strength or endurance each week. If you're looking for help with form, a class is the best way to learn but I've also been using the free videos found at Art of Strength (Anthony Dilugio's company) to continue my training. AOS also sells a great selection of videos that will kick anyone's *kitten*. Study the form in the videos several times before getting the bell out, but I recommend this to everyone out there. I play competitive Ultimate Frisbee and my speed has doubled as a result of kbells as well as my muscle reaction time since those explosive bell moves train the muscles to contract and react. My teammates, the most athletic and fitness minded people I know, are asking what I'm doing and asking if I would teach them.

I just wanted to share my love and passion for this workout tool..
    Good luck training to all!!
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Recently I've been using KBs at home in addition to other workouts. They are awesome! Even though there is a good aerobic component in addition to the strength part, I like to do even more cardio like Insanity, biking or hiking.

I think that the key is to not go too light on the weights. Currently I do KB swings with 55 lbs after quickly progressing past the 44 lb KB. If you do a fast-paced workout, you can get a really great full body workout.