Healthier Sausage

Options
jamie1888
jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
I don't know why I didn't think of this before... it occurred to me that as much as I enjoy the flavor of sausage (for breakfast and on pizza), I NEVER eat it because even the healthiest versions are full of crap ingredients, the casings and sodium. So, why not make my own?

You can use any lean ground meat you want!

**NOTE: from all the tips I've read, for maximum flavor, mix the seasoning with your meat and let it sit in the fridge for a couple of hours or overnight.

I just did a an internet search and found this recipe for Sausage Seasoning. There are many out there and can be altered for personal taste.

I found this one on eHow.com
http://www.ehow.com/how_4574619_breakfast-sausage-seasoning-mix.html

How to Make Breakfast Sausage Seasoning Mix
By Max Whitmore, eHow Contributor

There are as many variations of breakfast sausage and as many spice combinations as there are people who eat it. What you put in your sausage seasoning mix depends on your personal taste. Some common breakfast sausage spices include sage, thyme, and nutmeg. If you like a spicy sausage, you can also include crushed red pepper or cayenne. Or, you can go the sweet route an include brown sugar. Whatever your preference, you can blend your favorite spices in advance to use whenever you want to make breakfast sausage.

Difficulty:
Easy

Instructions
Things You'll Need

4 tbsp. salt
4 tbsp. sage, optional
4 tbsp. thyme, optional
4 tbsp. nutmeg, optional
4 tbsp. brown sugar, optional
2 tbsp. fennel, optional
1 tbsp. black pepper, optional
1 tbsp. crushed red pepper, optional
1 tbsp. rosemary, optional
8 oz. Mason jar with lid

1 Combine the spices of your choice in an 8-oz. Mason jar. You can use all of the spices listed, or combine just a few. For example, combine rosemary, sage, thyme, salt and pepper for a more traditional-flavored sausage seasoning mix. Add just the nutmeg and brown sugar and omit the salt and pepper if you want a sweeter-tasting sausage.

2 Put the lid on the Mason jar. Shake the jar to blend all the spices together. Set the jar on the counter for 30 minutes to let the spices settle.

3 Store the jar in a cool, dry place, such as a pantry or cupboard, for up to six months.

Replies

• jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Thaks for sharing! I was curious so I checked out the sight and saw this that I thought was good to know as well:

Use 2 tsp. of the spice mix per 1 lb. of ground sausage
  • jamie1888
    Options
    Thaks for sharing! I was curious so I checked out the sight and saw this that I thought was good to know as well:

Use 2 tsp. of the spice mix per 1 lb. of ground sausage

Thanks!
    I'm skeptical of that measurement though. Other recipes I looked at seem to use about 1 - 2 tbl of spices per lb of meat. But, that may be because this one uses a lot more variety than the others. We will just need to play with it! :drinker:
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I think you are right....I might just break off a piece, fry it up and taste to see where I'm at before cooking the whole amount. I'm excited to try it! Growing up, my dad made sausage all the time but it had an ingredient that is very hard to find where I live so this is going to be a great alternative (I hope!) Thanks again!
  • graciegPHD
    graciegPHD Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Do you think you could make it with ground turkey or do you need some pork?
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...maybe I will try this someday...
  • Austin1988
    Austin1988 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Thought this was going a different route. I will just turn around now.
  • StevenHaley
    Options
    A mate and I made some once. They were amazing, we did one normal mix, one with paprika and a wasabi mix aswell. Such good fun and the results were mega!
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options

Thanks! Just spit out my lunch from the abrupt laughter.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Thought this was going a different route.

" I will just turn around now."

Thats what she said.
  • Austin1988
    Austin1988 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Thought this was going a different route.

" I will just turn around now."

Thats what she said.

Thank you, sir!
  • jamie1888
    Options
    Do you think you could make it with ground turkey or do you need some pork?

I plan on making mine with extra lean ground turkey!
  • jamie1888
    Options

Somebody ALWAYS goes there! :laugh:
  • jamie1888
    Options
    A mate and I made some once. They were amazing, we did one normal mix, one with paprika and a wasabi mix aswell. Such good fun and the results were mega!

I like the Wasabi idea!
  • Csitri
    Csitri Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    thank you for sharing
  • mymelody_78
    mymelody_78 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Thanks! This is a great idea!
  • Chgosportsgal
    Options
    Great idea...and thanks for sharing !!!
  • jamie1888
    Options
    I made my first batch yesterday with lean ground pork. It came out awesome!! I did use probably 2 1/2 maybe even 3 tbl of the seasoning for 1lb. It was a bit strong but still really good. I would use less next time. But, when I make it with the extra lean ground turkey, I may still add as much because the turkey is so bland; more flavor in the pork!
  • jamie1888
    Options
    Here's my sausage:

sausage.jpg
  • ckish
    ckish Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Mmmm
  • PhotogNerd
    PhotogNerd Posts: 420 Member
    Options