Sugar addiction

Options
I have come to the realization that I am addicted to sugar. I am very close to my weight loss goal and after eating very little sugar to now eating insane amounts in one day I don't know how to stop myself. I either have perfect eating days or off the chart ,super high sugar and calorie days. I don't know how to stop with one treat. Does this mean I just need to stop eating it all together and forever. Is there a way to train my mind and body to be satisfied with an occasional treat? I don't want to gain all my weight back and if I keep it up it is going to happen. Please help.

Replies

• raleigh
    raleigh Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I was feeling the exact same way this weekend. Then I had a great workout today that I hadn't done in a while and I don't feel the need that I had just last night.

Maybe switch up your workout so you get more of those endorphins flowin'... I find that I want to snack less when I have had a good workout
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    I don't do well without ANY sugar, I need something sweet! I have a small handful of dark chocolate covered raisins.. that does the trick for me! Also, sugar free chocolate pudding.

~Leash :heart:
  • klpenn
    Options
    I love sugar too! But since I have started using MFP, I have found that it saves me so many calories to eat a piece of fruit instead of candy or other sweets. Fruit still has sugar naturally, and it gives me the taste that I crave. I try to keep lots to choose from around, like grapes, bananas, peaches, etc. I buy little fruit cups that are single servings (make sure you get them in LIGHT syrup--it saves you even more calories). Anyway, I have found that this helps a lot. If I really need chocolate, I eat a sugar-free pudding cup. Jello brand has them in lots of flavors for 60 calories a cup. After I am done, I just have to be strong and tell myself no more.

Hope you find a replacement for the sugar you crave!
  • natspoiledbrat
    Options
    It is hard to say, but I feel like I am addicted to cokes and chocolate. I get a crazy craving for chocolate at times and can't think about anything but chocolate until I satisfy my craving. So what I have done and what works for me is I buy the individually wrapped chocolates (usually truffles or ferero rocher) and have only one when I am craving chocolate. Somehow I can limit myself to just one. As far as cokes go, I allow myself to drink one coke as a reward on the days that I do make it to the gym. If I am really craving a coke that day, I know that the only way I can have one is to run for 60 mins. I have had to train myself to have self control and self restraint when it comes to these high calorie "sugary" snacks.
  • Rivalee
    Options
    I do the same thing, but I have found a couple things help. First, I eat way more sugar if I am dehydrated. Increase the amount of water you are drinking. Second, look at when you are eating - if I get a little too hungry by havng too few calories or waiting too long, I reach for very quick sugar (donuts and snickers, especially) and then I go into an unstoppable sugar spiral because once the spike is over I want to reach it again. And third, eat high quality treats. Make sure that what you reach for something really wonderful, like that four dollar truffle at the specialty chocolate shop, then savor every second of having it in your mouth. Make a rule that you can have the sugar, but you have to be completely focussed while you eat it. No driving, talking, reading, TV, or anything else while you eat it. Make it a sensory experience. Hope that helps, and it's a good reminder for me, too. :smile:
  • yodacho
    yodacho Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends on when and why you eat sugar. When I eat it when I'm tired or stressed, I can't stop myself and overdo. When I just have some dessert when I'm with friends and relaxed, I find I often can't finish the whole thing. If I haven't eaten well that day, then forget having any control. I'm a teacher, and now that it's a really stressful time of year, I have decided to go no sugar until Spring Break because of my particular habits. Day 8 - wahoo!
  • TwentyTen
    Options
    I have started my days with sugar since I can remember. Sugar laden cereals for breakfast as a kid, and by the time I was a teen, heavily sugared coffee first thing every day. It is most definitely an addiction, and very hard to break. I otherwise am not a sugar binger. I like some cookies, and god yes, chocolate, but I don't really keep it around , nor do I tend to seek it out. Occasionally I will get the sweet tooth thing and indulge in some disgustingly rich chocolate for dessert if I am out, but it's the morning addiction that is my personal demon.
    Coffee black? I don't think so..
    I have set a date to put an end to this bad habit, and its only 6 days away now.. o my. Ain't gonna be easy, I have tried and failed many times. It is a double whammy, because the caffeine has to go too. Both are drugs, speeds, and destructive as hell when abused like that, especially the combo.
    Ouch. I am mentally preparing, and wondering how I should do that day, maybe sleeep alllllllll day long, I really wanna do it this time, I am sure its a hinderance to the weight loss, even though it's not about the calories.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Do some reading on what sugar really does to your body. I am addicted to sugar, but whenever I eat it now, and especially after I've eaten it, I think about what Dr. Oz says about sugar, and what it does to your arteries- he says it's like sharp little crystals scratching and scraping at your arteries and destroying them. It certainly makes it harder to enjoy the sweet stuff when you're imagining shards of glass flowing through your arteries.
    ____

"Serious problems arise if you have too much sugar. We store it in our belly, that belly fat, the omentum, gets excessively large. And when it does that, it poisons the insulin, thus it no longer can work and the sugar cannot get out of the bloodstream.

Dr. Oz says this in turn causes issues for the heart. “The blood vessels are very delicate, The sugar is like pieces of glass shard scraping at it.

These shards leave small holes on the inside of the artery, our body scars in an attempt to heal it. It’s a fragile repair. “It breaks – it ruptures. Now you have an open surface that’s sore.

Dr. Oz says this dangerous scarring takes place in all other body tissues. That’s a problem because that influences all of our organs."