Cardio Headache?

Options
Anyone else get this after strenuous exercise? it's always a doozy. I drink water before during and after and also follow up a workout with some protein. So what am I doing wrong?

Replies

• VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    Bumping this. This happens to me sometimes
  • maura1110
    maura1110 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I think it might have to do with your breathing. I'm not sure what kind of cardio you're doing but when I started running I used to have this problem. I researched effective breathing and started focusing on this, changing the way I breathe when I work out and I stopped getting headaches. Maybe something to look into?
  • missytrishy
    missytrishy Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I think it might have to do with your breathing. I'm not sure what kind of cardio you're doing but when I started running I used to have this problem. I researched effective breathing and started focusing on this, changing the way I breathe when I work out and I stopped getting headaches. Maybe something to look into?

Thanks! I hadn't thought of that.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    i get this too/
  • chickie11
    chickie11 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The breathing is definately a factor...you should always breath in through your nose and out through you mouth...also during weight training breath out during the excursion....that should help :)
  • missytrishy
    missytrishy Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Found this on Livestrong.com

Development
    Certain athletic pursuits are more prone to result in an exertion headache than others. According to the Mayo Clinic, these activities include running, rowing, swimming and tennis. The physical exertion placed on the body to run, row, swim or play tennis can cause the blood vessels within your skull to dilate. This stretches the nerves within the affected blood vessels, sending waves of pain throughout your head.

Prevalence
    Actually, only 12 percent of adults get exertion headaches, according to the National Headache Foundation. It appears that there's a genetic component to exertion headaches: you're far more susceptible to developing a headache in relation to exercise if one or both of your parents have a history of migraines. You're also far more likely to develop an exertion headache if you're male.

Treatment
    Like most types of headaches, exertion headaches usually respond to prescription anti-inflammatory drugs, such as indomethacin, according to Johns Hopkins Medicine. You may also see an improvement with the use of propranolol, a blood-pressure medication, or melatonin, a food supplement. Talk to your doctor to determine which medication is best for you.

It's also wise to talk to your doctor so that more serious conditions can be ruled out. Some people experience exertion headaches as a result of an underlying disorder, including an aneurysm, hemorrhage, arterial obstruction or narrowed blood vessels.

Recommendation
    The potential of an exertion headache shouldn't dissuade you from taking part in strenuous cardio activity. For most people, regular exercise usually lessens the frequency and intensity of headaches. This is largely due to improvements in blood flow and reduction in muscle tension as well as the release of endorphins, which are known to minimize pain. The American College of Sports Medicine recommends getting at least 150 minutes of moderately intense physical activity or 60 minutes of vigorously intense cardio each week.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/347181-cardio-headache/#ixzz27PsarNpL
  • Alpina483
    Alpina483 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Whew. Thanks. I was afraid it had something to do with blood sugar (last time I checked, I don't have diabetes, but my mother has a mild form).

EDIT: so obviously yeah, I get that too. Usually when the exercise was a bit too much.
  • jeet1966
    jeet1966 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I get these every weekend. I go to the gym first thing in the morning on weekends, and get what I refer to as my "workout headache". It actually does not go away even if I take a Motrin or Tylenol. It's not a pounding headache, more just kind lingers and annoys.

I took boot camp classes last few months and we learned a lot of breathing, I also incorporated the breathing during my weekend cardio workouts and it does help, doesn't stop it totally but it's so bad.
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    Thanks for posting that information! I just kept imagining myself having a stroke or something. Lol.
  • Kittenopolis
    Kittenopolis Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I definitely get exertion headaches. (Side note: I have a personal/family history of migraines as the article mentioned could be an added risk factor.) Taking OTC anti-infammatories like ibuprofen or aleve usually does the trick for me, but if I don't take something then the headache could last for a full day afterward. It's one of the main reasons I don't try to get up & work out prior to work in the mornings... I end up feeling shakey & uncomfortable for nearly the whole day. (Lame!)

I am very conscious of my breathing any time I run or do yoga, etc, but I have a deviated septum which makes breathing through my nose REALLY difficult sometimes.

I'll try to work on my breathing technique some more & see if that improves things a bit more. Thanks for posting!! I've been wanting to see if this was just happening to me or if it was a common problem!

xx

25168095.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods