Eating Unhealthy on a weekend, how much damage does it do??

Options
Hey everyone, I have been following a pretty healthy eating plan for the last month or so and once maybe every 3 weeks, i have a really unhealthy weekend, eating late or eating really unhealthy foods.

How much damage can it actually do to that weeks weight loss, and also what can I do to try to make up for the unhealthy weekend?

Replies

• MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    How many calories over are we talking about?
    If it's somewhere like 5000 calories, it's bad.
    It it's 500 calories, I wouldn't really worry about it.
  • DaveyGravy
    DaveyGravy Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I suppose if you eat badly all weekend every weekend you will probably end up with an extra 2000-3000 calories on your weekly intake which means ur eating enough for 8 or 9 days in a 7 day period. Surely going to have a detrimental effect on not only your weight but also cholesterol.
  • rocklee85
    Options
    I read an article about a successful weight loss story in Men's Health magazine, and they actually encourage the occasional cheat on your diet (i.e. the 1 day a week you can eat a crappy meal or indulge in your favorite dessert). Aside from the obvious pleasure benefits involved, there were some metabolic reasons in the article as well. But overall, the article's main message was that having your one cheat day was something you'd use to keep yourself sane and on course for your fitness goals overall. I hope this helps a bit!
  • DaveyGravy
    DaveyGravy Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Yeah that is true and I used to have a cheat day every 10 days where I would consume approx 3000 calories, it was when I stopped losing that I quit that but it did help to kickstart me on more than a few occasions!
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    My weigh in day is a cheat day and that's pretty much every week. I don't go over board and I don't stuff myself silly but I get my venta mocha with peppermint and I have a dinner where I'm not as worried about portion sizes. I tend to still ask for no butter or oil on breads if I get a burger or something, but I get fries rather then a salad or steamed veggies. I normally eat a pretty small healthy lunch but I'm pretty sure I'm well into if not over my maintenance calories by the end of that day. I will weigh the next day and be up 2-5 lbs depending on how salty the meal was but I'm down the next week 1-2 lbs from my last weigh in. The week I actually didn't eat out (I stay within my calories but I eat out WAY too much) I dropped 4 lbs just from all the salt. Anyhow (sorry, I got side tracked :laugh: ) I've done this for years. When I lost 30 lbs before I got pregnant with my daughter I had a cheat day and I've been doing it for the past year that I've been working on the 50 lbs I've lost. I know me, and I know I need that once a week to not feel deprived or eat what I've been craving or just not have to think too hard. I do, however, think that I would eventually not crave these things if I didn't eat them as often. Since I don't eat much fast food if I happen to go to Mc Donald's and get chicken nuggets (use to LOVE them) they taste disgusting and leave a greasy feeling in my mouth. So eventually I know I have to give my cheat day up, but at this point they work for me and don't hurt the scale too badly. It does sometimes get tiring to feel like I'm working really hard just to make up for my cheat day, but it's worth it most weeks.
    I have found if I work out really hard the day before and the day after (I do Jillian's Boost Your Metabolism DVD both days) it's a lot easier to get it off and the scale shows a lower number from my last weigh in a few days later. This is my first week that my food cheat day is not my exercise rest day, so I'm sure it will help to work out the day before, of and after.
    Sorry to ramble, but I hope this helps. Drink lost of water too :drinker:
  • Meehansbride
    Options
    I think as long as you are working our during the week and your metabolism is high, you should be ok. I wouldnt go overboard but some extra calories should hurt once in awhile.

I just started eating better, watching my calories and working out at the beginning of the new year. A couple weeks ago, I didnt work out for 3 days and was eating out like crazy and snacking...after the weekend was over and I got back on the scale I had only gained like 1.5lbs. It was easy to drop it off again when I worked out.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I do a cheat day or two about every 2 weeks. It actually seems to kick start my metabolism when I stop losing. If you're gaining and not recovering from it, you might need to adjust something. If the weight is still going down every week, don't worry about it.