I can't change my habit

Options
I've been here for almost a month, and most days I always exceed my calories. I really dont know what to do. I always feel hungry. I ve lowered my calories, upped, then lowered again. Drink water alot (FYI, in this place where I live, I have to buy water for USD 3 dollar per 16 litre) but nothing works to change my eating habit.
working out make me feel more hungry.

I dont want to be in this body forever. I hate it!

I open my diary, can you help me by telling me what I should do. I live in asia where our staple food is rice. I cant cook since I live in a dorm. We don't eat a lot of protein. Vegetables are pretty cheap here, but fruits are quite expensive. and for now, I dont really have much money too.

Replies

• lisam1265
    Options
    Can you try tofu, or beans, or any seafood? These are all good proteins as well. Also, eggs are great sources of protein. Another thing that will help with hunger is to eat good fiber, grains etc. You could also try soy milk, or other similar for healthy proteins. You also have to remember you will be hungry at first because you are not eating as much as your body is used to. After you make the changes and stick to the change for approx. 3 weeks, your brain and body will adjust. Stay with it! you'll get there :)
  • debrahen
    Options
    Some things that have helped me -

Drink a big glass of water before eating a meal; eat a hand full of almonds before eating a meal; increasing your protein and decreasing your carbs will help, especially decreasing carbs late in the day; eggs are a good source of protein and fairly inexpensive; cottage cheese is also a good choice.

LisaM1265 is absolutely on target - you'll get use to it after a few days. Make little changes like standing up when you're on the phone and taking more walks to burn calories.

Also be aware of any calories you're drinking (soda, juice, alcohol, etc) - they all have a ton of calories; save your calories for healthy food choices.

good luck!
  • goblynn
    goblynn Posts: 152
    Options
    I struggled with the same thing when I first started. I have been doing it since May, I am just now getting to the point where I don't panic due to my hunger. One of my pals on here suggested I read the book Beck's Diet. It isn't a diet book as in it isn't a fad diet and it doesn't tell you what to eat or how. What the book does do is help you figure out what habits you have that are holding you back from your goal. For me being a compulsive/over-eater/anxiety-eater it has been very helpful. It has helped me figure out the difference between hunger and the desire to eat. Most of what I was feeling was the DESIRE to eat.

Now that I am getting better at it, I don't feel hunger all the time. I would highly recommend it. I bought my copy at a used book store for 2.00.

Also, veggies are awesome!!! They are so low in calories you eat them all day and barely get close to your goal. Also, once you get a handle on your eating/hunger you can eat rice and anything else you want as long as you are mindful of your portion size.

Good luck!!
  • Kamille2007
    Options
    Cottage cheese has done WONDERS for my appetite, it has really helped me feel and stay full longer! Good luck
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Eat vegetables. Lots of them. Stay away from rice, roti, noodles, etc. Eat an entire melon for dinner sometimes. Eat big piles of steamed cabbage.
  • SocWkrBee
    Options
    Hi,

I do not know many of the foods that are in your diary. But after a quick look, I would say eat smaller portions. You can eat the same food. However, learn how to eat less. After that you can begin to switch out certain food for healthier options.

You have already lost some weight, so keep going! It doen't happen overnight for everyone. I am an example of that, but I am way better off than when I started and so are you!
  • StephDuffney
    StephDuffney Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Get off the sofa and get moving two look at better option for foods. Lose the coffee drinks have coffee just not all the fluff that your drinking now.

But the biggest thing is get moving at least 3-4 time a week
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Try eating more calories. If your hungry at the calories your eating, try adding 250 calories (or exercising and eating back your calories)

Cut out processed foods, eat more protein, more fiber (MFP is way to low on fiber, you should be getting 28-30 grams per day) and LESS Carbs.

Your eating a ton of carbs, which spikes your blood sugar making you hungry only a short time after eating! Cut down on the carbs and fill up on the protein!
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I know for me instant noodles was my weakness but there is absolutely no nutrition in them whatsoever so you will always be hungry 10 minutes after eating them. Instead of that just make your own soup with rice, broccolli, lettuce, mushrooms and whatever vegtables and then you can throw some sliced beef in there with soup base and boiling water and it will cook the beef. If you're sick of rice you could get udon noodles they are a little more filling but still don't really have any nutritional value to them.

I love noodles, they are my weakness but they are a treat for me now.
  • nunat919
    nunat919 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Which country do you stay in..maybe I can help. I completely understand, I love my Thai (well all Asian food in general).
  • rawfull
    rawfull Posts: 178
    Options
    I think eating more fruit and vegetables are the answer, here's why...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucHEVNX2c9o

Good luck... :)
  • Asiancyn
    Options
    It's always tough in the beginning and trust me, I'm still struggling. Just glancing at your food diary, it looks like you have a lot of sodium. That will make you feel bloated and personally I always feel "fat" when I'm bloated. Try staying away from the instant noodles. It's quick and easy, but will make you feel horrible afterwards.

Try oatmeal in the morning with low sugar and more protein (7 grams). The instant oatmeal you can buy in a box/bulk so it tends to be cheaper. That usually keeps me full until around 11-12 so it's not long before lunch, and try to time your meals so you eat every 2-3 hours (smaller portions).
    Remember, if you go over one day, think of the next day as a new start. Try not to get frustrated for exceeding your caloric intake or else you'll be more likely to do it again. Hope this helps!
  • bbelnap2
    bbelnap2 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You said Vegetables are cheap, but after seeing your food journal it looks like you eat very few of them. It's difficult to give you specific advice without really knowing your local market, but those noodles HAVE TO GO. They don't just give you empty calories, they also increase hunger by raising insulin levels. Most days your calories aren't too bad and if you are patient, even at these levels you will lose a lot of weight over time. The exercise is good.

Try to lower your sugar levels. It is all the white rice, white sugar, white flour that is making you hungry. Eating more vegetables will help a lot once you get used to it.
  • Asiancyn
    Options
    There is also Tofu noodles that are 40 calories per serving!
  • melpop8
    melpop8 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hiya,

I noticed your coffees, change to black with no sugar.

Look at your portion sizes too, they seem way too big, check on line for portion control guides

Eat little and often, lets your body know there is more coming

Also, are you reading food labels for calorie contents.

Become more active.

Keep drinking loads of water.

Enter your food into your diary BEFORE you eat, this will tell you how much your going to have or need to reduce so that you do not exceed your goal.

Its not easy, but if you want to lose the weight you will do it.

Best of luck to you x x
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    One month is not a long time for your body to adjust when you change your calorie intake. It sounds like you have been varying your calorie amounts and not giving each different level you try long enough to see any results.
  • manohirarevolutions
    Options
    Thanks for all responses. Yes, Instant noodles is my weakness. FIrst, it's cheap, and I dont need alot of water to consume it. I'll try oatmeal. There's product of oatmeal in small sachet here, they add banana and blueberry in it. Hope it will be tasty.
    I'm also gonna try to cut coffee.

I notice one thing. Before I try to change my eating habit, I have to change my sleeping habit first. There's no way I could avoid midnight snacking if I still awake at night. The thing is, am a slack student and always procastinating. Thinking to much without executing my tasks. Now I understand why losing weight is a lifestyle change. To get a bttr eating habit you have to change your life entirely.

at least in my case, and I find it hard.
    Which country do you stay in..maybe I can help. I completely understand, I love my Thai (well all Asian food in general).

I live in indonesia. some of the food similar to thai.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I generally don't deal with 'I can't' because you've already decided you're defeated when you 'try' some options.

First decide you will then decide how (based upon hopefully helpful reccomendations I see you have already received). You need to be mentally in the right frame of mind to adjust to a reduced portion diet.
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    where do you live? I am currently studying in China and i lost weight here. :) when i go back to west for my holiday, that's my problem!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all responses. Yes, Instant noodles is my weakness. FIrst, it's cheap, and I dont need alot of water to consume it. I'll try oatmeal. There's product of oatmeal in small sachet here, they add banana and blueberry in it. Hope it will be tasty.
    I'm also gonna try to cut coffee.

I notice one thing. Before I try to change my eating habit, I have to change my sleeping habit first. There's no way I could avoid midnight snacking if I still awake at night. The thing is, am a slack student and always procastinating. Thinking to much without executing my tasks. Now I understand why losing weight is a lifestyle change. To get a bttr eating habit you have to change your life entirely.

at least in my case, and I find it hard.

If snacking is a problem, find some healthier alternative. A handful of nuts maybe. They have protein, but are calorie dense so don't eat too many. Fresh raw vegetables? Whatever, make it healthier and make that become a habit. Then identify another problem area and find an alternative. One thing at a time, and you will change your lifestyle.