OMG!!! I am starving today!!!

Options
I was wondering if anyone can shed any light on why I sometimes get so hungry I can barely control myself...

I eat good, regular meals and i drink a gallon of water a day...

I do notice that I often the day following a day of going off plan that is when I get terrible cravings want to just eat the whole box of crackers...

Does this happen to anyone else? and if so, how do I stop this from happening...

Thanks...!

Replies

• It happens to me too but luckily I've got into the knack of not indulging them. I find I'm famished the day after heavy exercising.
  • smrtcar
    smrtcar Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I find electrolytes and salt curb my appetite. Gatorade and or chicken noodle soup.
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    It happens to me too...Soup and tea help. if I'm still hungry after that protein. Eggs help me!
  • cbu23
    cbu23 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I can't come up with a rhyme or reason for it....but I have days like that. Seems like I just can't ever get full or satisfied and I want to eat everything ever created!!!!

Just get through the day the best you can and tomorrow should be better!
  • wendyjane75
    wendyjane75 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I feel like that after I've eaten junk as well. The better I eat, the less I crave the junk. I try to fill the cravings with an apple or something, but sometimes it just won't satisfy. Good luck today :)
  • k7n2w3
    k7n2w3 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I don't have any helpful advice but I'm also feeling extra hungry today and just don't know why!
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    your metabolism is crazy busy. Eat.. but eat smart! Have cucumbers, red peppers, celery, green beans to snack on.
    Keep feeding your body .. but feed it good stuff so it keeps going. Soon it will burn fat while you sleep:)
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Grab something to eat.............
  • dogo187
    dogo187 Posts: 376
    Options
    well just hearing that not just me is comforting...

im doing good so far...had some oatmeal with a little almond milk and have already planned to have cheeseburgers and fries for dinner (homemade healthy version with ground turkey breast, flat out bread and sweet potato fries)....

hopefully i can just keep myself busy the rest of the day and deal with this...

thanks everyone!
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    i think it definetly has to do with overeating the day before. Maybe your stomach gets stretched out too much and then feels like its empty when its not :-)
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I personally get hungry around my TOM.
  • Medeiros12
    Medeiros12 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have a "free" day on Sundays. Today I am hungry, hungry.. It's because of the wings and brownies I devoured yesterday :(
  • samlankford
    Options
    I usually get more hungry the day after a high calorie burn (over 800) or when the temperature outside starts to turn cooler... I rarely give into it but sometimes you just have to.. just try to keep it at a minimum if it is something unhealthy, or pick something that IS healthy... cross your fingers and hope it works :bigsmile:
  • CantarellaMiyani
    CantarellaMiyani Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have days like that too, especially, ahem, at certain times of the month. I try to make sure I've got some good snacks on hand - I'm currently noshing on frozen grapes, and baby carrots and almond butter are a favorite, too. That way I don't reach for the Cheetos.

If you're really, truly hungry (and have eliminated thirst as an option), that's your body trying to tell you something. Get some protein in you and some healthy fat - grab a hard boiled egg, some avocado, or both!
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    It's probably that if you're very used to eating a similar quantity of food each day or even at each sitting then any excess amount of food may be stretching your stomach and the next day you just don't feel as full with the normal amount of food.

I'm not a doctor, I don't even know if your stomach can actually "stretch" or if I'm even spelling "stomach" correctly but what I DO know is that overeating leads to insatiable hunger the next day. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, and the bumper sticker.
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I think you're drinking too much water.

Drinking what your body needs keeps you from confusing dehydration with hunger and it helps metabolize food. Drinking too much can stretch your stomach or cause your electrolytes to bottom out, both of which will leave you hungry. It can also make you metabolize your food too fast.

I know I'm swimming upstream in a "drink water" obsessed forum, but just because something is good doesn't mean that too much of that same thing is good.

P.S. Make sure you're eating enough.
  • LeidaPrimal
    LeidaPrimal Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I find that not enough natural fat and protein and consumption of any sugar (natural or unnatural) is the culprit for me. I try to keep my fats to 70%, save all my carbs for supper, and have a fat only meal. Drinking bone broth or Tibetian tea with salt is a huge help. Once I set out this schedule, and I do not run deficits in excess of 500 cals a day, I eventually arrive to Nirvana. I don't get hungry for hours after eating, I feel true satiation, and I don't graze. My energy is stable, my mood is stable, life is good. I am very sensitive to sugar. Unfortunately, I still can't tolerate fruit. But I am willing to trade it in for not experiencing crashing hunger, evening binges and mood swings/depressive spells.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I think you're drinking too much water.

Drinking what your body needs keeps you from confusing dehydration with hunger and it helps metabolize food. Drinking too much can stretch your stomach or cause your electrolytes to bottom out, both of which will leave you hungry. It can also make you metabolize your food too fast.

I know I'm swimming upstream in a "drink water" obsessed forum, but just because something is good doesn't mean that too much of that same thing is good.

P.S. Make sure you're eating enough.

Just wondering if you have any documentation for this statement.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Some theories I have:

It's indigestion from overindulging the day before. Often when our tummies are upset, it feels similar to hunger and eating something makes us feel better. Eating greek yogurt (probiotics) and drinking something fizzy might help.

It's a carb/sugar let down. Usually indulgences include lots of carbs - like yesterday I had a day with my best friends and we gorged ourselves on sushi rolls and a few drinks which was probably 90% carbs. The next day your body is craving carbs to get that same level back up but if you just ignore it and eat right it'll go away in a day or two - not easy though!

The day after either being under your calories or having had a hard workout (same idea, calorie deficit) your body wants to replenish it's stores so it's craving food to get things evened back out. I usually cave to these cravings and don't mind going over a bit after a day when I've gone under a bit - it all evens out in the end. But I try to keep it healthy and high protein.
  • DLKeeble
    DLKeeble Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have been like that since Friday. Last Thursday, I decided to have what I wanted. I can't get over the cravings. It is now Monday and I'm still dealing with it. I am trying to drown the cravings with water, but it has been hard!