OMG!!! I am starving today!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Happens to me sometimes too! Usually after a hard workout.
  • mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I get like that too; Especially after a big workout. I try to fill up on veggies and protein.
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    Are you ovulating?
  • Mandykinz2008
    Mandykinz2008 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I am the EXACT same way today! I figure it happens sometimes and it'll be my "binge" day that helps stock my body up. I do pretty well all other days..obviously your body is telling you something!
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    For me..the more carbs I eat, the more I crave. If I focus more on protein and less on carbs I feel fuller and dont have the tendency to snack as much. Also, sometimes that hunger is really thirst. Try drinkinf a glass of water and wait a few minutes, if you are really still hungry after that then eat something :happy:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I think you're drinking too much water.

Drinking what your body needs keeps you from confusing dehydration with hunger and it helps metabolize food. Drinking too much can stretch your stomach or cause your electrolytes to bottom out, both of which will leave you hungry. It can also make you metabolize your food too fast.

I know I'm swimming upstream in a "drink water" obsessed forum, but just because something is good doesn't mean that too much of that same thing is good.

P.S. Make sure you're eating enough.

Just wondering if you have any documentation for this statement.

Me too. A gallon of water (16 cups) isn't really excessive for someone who's active (and therefore sweating out some of that water) and getting some sodium in their diet. The overhydration scare and stomach stretching is more for someone who chugs a gallon of water in one sitting or who's training for a triathalon and doesn't have the proper nutrition/supplements so their electrolyte balance is off. For the average person, this isn't an issue.
  • conservativek
    conservativek Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    This is a regular part of TOM for me.
  • msjamartin
    Options
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/6194284/Junk-food-makes-you-eat-more-research.html Very interesting article from 2009....basically..."Our findings suggest that when you eat something high in fat, your brain gets 'hit' with the fatty acids, and you become resistant to insulin and leptin. Since you are not being told by the brain to stop eating, you overeat."

Found this article a few weeks back and it makes a lot of sense. While I do not track on the weekends, I've always tried to stay in my calorie range and just enjoy a few foods that are ouside of the norm (i.e. make them fit but not necessarily as nutrious as M-F). Since reading this I've really tried to be even better about my "splurge" choices to keep my body in better balance even if eating a bit out of my structure.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    It happens to me too but luckily I've got into the knack of not indulging them. I find I'm famished the day after heavy exercising.

I'm always famished 1-2 days after my long runs. It's annoying.
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Note the days you are "starving" so you can establish a pattern. For me, the entire week prior to TOM is my starving time. I've found that increasing my iron intake (including adding a supplement that week) and my protein intake helps. If I'm craving potatoes (usually during that same week) that is a good indicator of need for potassium. I roast a potato, scramble up a couple of eggs and I'm good to go. Figure out what's triggering your cravings and feed your body what it needs.
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I think you're drinking too much water.

Drinking what your body needs keeps you from confusing dehydration with hunger and it helps metabolize food. Drinking too much can stretch your stomach or cause your electrolytes to bottom out, both of which will leave you hungry. It can also make you metabolize your food too fast.

I know I'm swimming upstream in a "drink water" obsessed forum, but just because something is good doesn't mean that too much of that same thing is good.

P.S. Make sure you're eating enough.
    Just wondering if you have any documentation for this statement.

I was also wondering about this... As someone who regularly drinks 80oz+/day of water I can honestly say that 90% of the time, the water helps keep me feeling full - it doesn't make me feel hungrier.
  • bfitgirl
    bfitgirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I find that not enough natural fat and protein and consumption of any sugar (natural or unnatural) is the culprit for me. I try to keep my fats to 70%, save all my carbs for supper, and have a fat only meal. Drinking bone broth or Tibetian tea with salt is a huge help. Once I set out this schedule, and I do not run deficits in excess of 500 cals a day, I eventually arrive to Nirvana. I don't get hungry for hours after eating, I feel true satiation, and I don't graze. My energy is stable, my mood is stable, life is good. I am very sensitive to sugar. Unfortunately, I still can't tolerate fruit. But I am willing to trade it in for not experiencing crashing hunger, evening binges and mood swings/depressive spells.

Agree with above that fat is important for satiety, you may be needing more fat in you diet. A lot of people just can't get their heads around this but mayb start introducing fish oil after every meal.
  • averagebyday
    Options
    I usually get more hungry the day after a high calorie burn (over 800) or when the temperature outside starts to turn cooler... I rarely give into it but sometimes you just have to.. just try to keep it at a minimum if it is something unhealthy, or pick something that IS healthy... cross your fingers and hope it works :bigsmile:

I myself was extremely hungry today, its the first cold day of the year and yesterday i burned 500+ calories! But I didn't do so well :\