Tips/ Tricks/ Advice for 5K Training

Hello! I have recently joined MFP. I am trying to maintain my weight and train for a 5K. I am new to running and would love any tips/ tricks/ advice. I would also like to find some friends for encouragement.

Replies

• Best advice I would give is make sure you get good/correct trainers. Have your feet checked to see what type you need (Neutral/High/Low Arches).

When you are starting off, dont push yourself to hard, its better to pace yourself, get your distance up then work on increasing your pace.

I also found wearing compression shorts was vital when I very first started running. I found that my thighs would chaff and it would get very very raw, which used to hinder my training. (and I wasnt particularly big either, maybe 180lbs). Usually used to fix it with some E45 cream.
  • Best advice I would give is make sure you get good/correct trainers. Have your feet checked to see what type you need (Neutral/High/Low Arches).

Agree, start off with proper shoes which will prevent most injuries. Read a lot about "couch to 5K" training programs and start setting goals to increase your miles slowly. First race is to complete it, each race after that you train to improve your time. Enjoy the fun with the rest of us.