Allow me to introduce to you...me

Well hello there. I'm Tony, 27 and living in Michigan. I work for an ad agency (lots of sitting) and have been using MFP for about 2 months now. The only thing that I've really done is to eat much better. It used to be that I was eating fast food at least 5 times a week with my busy schedule. It was awful. I topped out at 290 one day this past August, and knew that I needed to make a change. My younger brother is a fitness instructor so he told me about this site, and it's been a life saver. I'm now down to 256, but I've hit a bump in the road. I hate to exercise, and I know that I'm not going to be able to hit my goal without it. I think that the main thing for me mentally is that I hate the thought of going to a gym and having other people watch me. I know that everyone is there to do their own thing and that they don't care about me, but the thought is constantly in my head. I can't work out with others that I know either. I'm just too self conscious, and it sucks. Anyone have any thoughts on a way to get past this? I live in a tiny apartment so I can't do anything at home unfortunately. Either way, it really is great looking through all of these threads and seeing the success stories, knowing that that is exactly where I want to be someday.

Replies

• stb0863
    stb0863 Posts: 11 Member
    Hey Tony, I'm also from the Great Lakes State! Honestly, I'm a bit bigger than you right now, and I' so happy for you losing as much as you have so far! Go you!! I go to the gym to work out since I don't have much space here.. What I have done to help myself is picking out a gym (fitness usa) that has opposing women and men days. I guess I don't mind so much if I'm getting all sweaty in front of a bunch of women. I go, I put my ear buds in and listen to my music and pretend I am the only one there(unless someone is on the machine I want to use, lol),

What would probably help you get over being so self conscious, is just getting out there and diving in. After you go to the gym a few times and get your routine together, you should naturally start to care less what others are thinking, because you're too busying doing your thing and achieving your goals of X many minutes on that amazing contraption the Elliptical. :)

Hope that helps. Good luck!
  • How about you start out walking? It is better than nothing. Then try walking faster and faster until you can run? You also might want to try and incorporate some type of strength training, as well.
  • Aello11
    Aello11 Posts: 312 Member
    if you really can't stand the thought of a gym (yet ;) ) walk...anywhere (even in place) - just start to move and eventually you will want the gym for the weights and all the other goodies it holds
  • Tony_Goose
    Tony_Goose Posts: 11 Member
    Wow, thanks for the replies guys.

I have started to intentionally park further away from the door at work, the store etc...I'm also starting to take the stairs more than the elevator, but the convenience factor gets me occasionally. I'm a half hour into my MFP Community experience, and I already feel more motivated and ready to do more. I really appreciate everyone so far.
  • Kioko1973
    Kioko1973 Posts: 56 Member
    Hi Tony. Gyms can be a little daunting at times. Try going during non-peak hours if you're able (early am, mid day or late pm) when the gyms aren't too crowded. Also, take your workouts outdoors. You can walk/jog/run in a park or a track, use the stairs in your apartment building, jump rope on your balcony, use your dining room chair for tricep dips, ab work in your living room, squats, do kickboxing punches standing in place. You could even get some of those flexi bands and do some exercises. If you have an office take your bands to work and do some of those exercises at work. It takes a little creativity but it can definitely be done. Congrats on your weight loss thus far and the weight loss to come.
  • DorothyLowry
    DorothyLowry Posts: 7 Member
    You just need to find the right gym for you. Check put all of the ones in you area and ask them what they can do to help you meet your goals. If you are anywhere near Lake Orion, check out the powerhouse gym at Clarkston & M24 - I have been there for about a year and their goal is to help you reach your goal.
  • deniseblossoms
    deniseblossoms Posts: 373 Member
    You have started, that's so important.

I'm in Michigan too, but more on the East Side. Not sure what your situation is but if you have any trails near you you can get out and walk, or get a bike, that's a good one to do on your own.

Body weight exercises are good, get yourself some dumbbells and squat, lunge and pushup, renegade row, plank etc to your hearts content. You can combo some squats into a shoulder press....a pushup with dumbells then alternate pulling your arm back for the row, drop it then out to the side for a fly, repeat.

I was just lucky enough to find a BOSU ball at a garage sale, it's good for small spaces and you can do tons of exercises with it that help improve balance and core strength

Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and JUST DO IT. You're not there for anyone but yourself. I workout at planet fitness. Most people at the gym are there for them ...when I'm at the gym my focus is on me, not on the person two machines over...Do a tour of the gyms in your area, compare prices, hours, amenities...it gets easier.
  • Tarin626
    Tarin626 Posts: 101 Member
    I know how you feel and I still deal with it - I'm only 5'3" and still need to lose 100lbs. I get weird looks at the gym but I can't let that bother me - I am there to workout and anyone who has a problem with that can %$#* OFF!

Funny that I read your post - yesterday at the gym a skinny boy gave me a weird look, kinda rude and a staff member stared at me (not sure if he was looking at my bra/boobs or my stomach LOL) but another staff member was nice & friendly and a guy that looked pretty fit asked me how to reset a machine as he was having problems and said must know as I was flying through re-adjusting the machines for myself as I went through my curcuit. He thanked me and we continued our workouts.

Moral of the story: There are always gonna be a**holes out there but you can't let them bring you down! Also there are nice, respectful and cool people at the gym too! If you can't workout at home and winter is coming so outside workouts may be difficult (I'm in Canada I get it :-) - try and find a gym you get a good feel for.

My gym is not a "pick-up" gym, it's pretty corporate, downtown core - people go, workout and leave. It has perks I like and is not far from where I work so I can get there during the week really easily.

Good Luck and don't give up - great job on your current weight loss!
  • Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    I think the hardest step a person can make is that first step through those doors. Find a co-ed gym where you see all sizes of people. I agree that going to the gym when you are just getting started is extremely intimidating, but overcoming that and getting started on that next part of your journey and truly feeling that everyone is there for the same reason and doing their own thing, it's great. And every moment that you are there, you are getting more in shape and feeling better and better about yourself.

Good luck to you on this journey, I think you've received some great tips so far :)
  • LoriA6724
    LoriA6724 Posts: 98 Member
    It looks like you are already making big changes. Look at the weight you've lost! One of the best things you can do is add MFP friends. You'll receive motivation you won't find anywhere else. I really found my motivation to get moving from my MFP friends. You also get so many great ideas for fitness and food.

I understand being embarrassed at the gym. I just posted this on my wall last week: http://flintland.blogspot.com/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html Please read it. It's so inspiring.
  • HI Tony,
    I know what you mean about exercise, I hated it, too. AND I can't stand being sweaty in public. Blech.
    So I did two things that have helped immensely: 1) YOGA. Yoga yoga yoga. Started taking classes (I know, you hate being in public), but in yoga everyone is so blissed out and in their own little world they really won't even notice you. Seriously. My husband (who was 314 lbs, now 247) and my brother in law also go. Has absolutely changed our lives.
    2) Got an exercise bike. I LOVE that thing. I ride every day. Cost about $400, worth every penny. I can be sweaty and gross and no one will be watching. Listen to the Ipod and you won't even notice you're exercising. The bike is a schwinn 420 I think, it's not large, it fits on my upstairs landing. Check it out.
    Anyhow, good luck and feel free to friend me. nicoledallal is my MFP user name.
  • My brother from another mother! :-)
    I hate excercise, and especially going to the gym.
    I don't like to sweat, I don't like to run, and I hate to walk.
    But there are ways around that.
    I have to trick myself into excercising.
    I swim (no sweating, no impact).
    I also park my car farther out, so I have to walk further.
    Sounds nutty, but it works, and keeps your car scratch free.
    I take the stairs, avoid the elevator.
    I do my gardening.
    That sounds mild, but the soil where I live is like concrete, so digging holes for rosebushes is a great workout.
    Just work it so you do more physical activity during your normal day.
    You can also add a brisk walk, enough to get your heart pumping a bit, it gets better if you have a dog.
    It doesn't have to be your dog, you can walk a neighbor's dog. They might pay you for it too.
    For example: Put a dogwalker ad in the laundry room of your apartment.
    If you really want to get your cardio in run up and down the stairs at lunchtime.
    We have a parking garage where I work, and nobody uses the stairs, except nuts like me.
    I take he stairs 6 flights down from my car and six up when I leave work.
    This is not a huge amount of excercise, but the key is I do it every day.
    And I'm not going to the gym, so I don't have to make time for it. It is just part of the normal day.
  • raymansell
    raymansell Posts: 2 Member
    It looks like you are already making big changes. Look at the weight you've lost! One of the best things you can do is add MFP friends. You'll receive motivation you won't find anywhere else. I really found my motivation to get moving from my MFP friends. You also get so many great ideas for fitness and food.

I understand being embarrassed at the gym. I just posted this on my wall last week: http://flintland.blogspot.com/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html Please read it. It's so inspiring.
    That post was absolutely fantastic. I'm definitely printing that for my wall :D xo
  • jojo37696
    jojo37696 Posts: 93 Member
    go for a walk outside
  • juliaamilee
    juliaamilee Posts: 262 Member
    I dont have access to a gym at all.. Here in BFE we dont get to have those. LOL I do have work out dvd's I get bored. So I walk and run. I am out in the streets in full force these days. In the middle of the road with my ipod going, in my short shorts, singing and running and walking. I do not move out of the road, its a four lane go around me! We dont have sidewalks, we have lots of stickers in the grassy areas. LOL I now have my own fan club that wave and honk at me as they go by. Even see me in the store and say I see you out on the street all the time.
  • Sassy922
    Sassy922 Posts: 399 Member
    I now have The Humpty Dance stuck in my head for some reason.
  • blamse
    blamse Posts: 17 Member
    Your health is much more important than what anyone else would think of you. That said, I think people respect others who are trying to better themselves and their health like you are. If someone doesn't, they shouldn't matter to you anyways. I see people of all sizes and shapes at my gym and I think you might be overthinking this one. Just join a gym that feels right for you and get after it and don't delay. You'll feel better for doing it!
  • Wow, I had the same problem as you and to add a bit shy too. When I started losing my weight I felt better about myself and decided it was time to be that athletic person that I could be. I started with walking (at night so no one could see me) then from there I joined the Planet Fitness gym. Now I bike, kayak, etc. etc. I just love moving. I still have 40 pounds to go from the 80 something I already lost but i'm on the right track. In the end it's all about yourself and what you want from yourself. Just let go and learn to ignore. Good luck!
  • Marie31450
    Marie31450 Posts: 96 Member
    Hi Tony..

I know gyms can be pretty intimidating. I had a membership for almost a year that I hardly used until I started to use MFP. I started out doing just the Zumba classes at first which are all women..but then I had enough courage to venture out into the other workout area after I saw that everyone was doing their own thing. Im 62, so watching these muscle men or these svelt young women workout was very intimidating! So now I'm in there with the guys and young girls lifting weights..doing my thing..and no one bothers you. I've actually had a few show me how to use some of the equipment! I look forward to it! Check out your local gyms or maybe get some weights bands or workout CDs for at home. But I can almost guarantee that once you start..you feel so much better and it actually becomes addictive! I haven't lost a lot, but since I've been weight training I definitely see changes in my body!
    Good luck on your journey!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    COngrats on your losses so far. Gonna need to start doing some resistance training. You can lose weight with diet alone but how much of that is going to be from lean body mass is going to depend on if you are stressing your muscles. Gotta convince your body that they are worth keeping or it will eat them up.

The gym was an intimidating place for me when I started. Especially the weight room. A lot of reaching our fitness goals is fixing ourselves mentally. This is no different. Find an experienced person to take you a few times. Watch/read proper lifting forms. Personal trainer? What ever it takes.

I bet you will not regret it and will probably love it within a few sessions.