sore muscle relief. HELP

Options
Hi everyone,
I went from never working out to working out all the time. I guess it finally caught up with me because my legs are in SO MUCH PAIN. I don't think I ripped a muscle or anything.. I just think they're very sore..

Soo.. Does anyone have any quick remedies so that I can get back to working out.

I was told to ice my legs by one person. Another person told me to use a heating pad. And a third person said to drink muscle milk(?).

Please help!!

Replies

• IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    all of the above!!!

Alternating ice and heat can really help with inflammation. I find that I really only need to ice a really sore muscle and it helps a lot.

When you do muscle work, it can help to make sure you have a "recovery" meal within the first 20 minutes or so after working out. I usually work out in the evenings so I have a Muscle Milk (or other protein shake) as soon as I'm done working out, since I know it will be a while before I have dinner. I have to say that properly fueling for work outs seems to have really helped my stamina and recovery. :)
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I went from never working out to working out all the time. I guess it finally caught up with me because my legs are in SO MUCH PAIN. I don't think I ripped a muscle or anything.. I just think they're very sore..

Yep. Perfectly normal. Take some motrin if you really need it and give your legs a couple days off. Light exercise will actually make them feel a bit better. The more you work out the less sore you'll feel afterwards. Just hang in there during this transition period.
    1258936 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    A dr friend once told me not to take tylenol, motrin or aleve for muscle pain, but instead take a nice hot shower after you work out or a soak in a hot tub or bath tub. She told that the muscle pain is not inflammation pain, and all of those meds are anti-inflammitory, therefore you are treating symptoms that are not there and your body will react to these anti inflammitory meds in a negative way after prolonged use.
    My personal experiance is that when my muscles are sore after an intense work out that I should work out hard again a day later. Intense work out, next day work it out easy, next day intense work out again. After that 2nd intense work out my muscles actually feel looser than if I had avoided it for another 24 hours.
    My doctor friend informed me that when we work our muscles out, we are actually breaking down the weak muscle and it is replaced by new strong muscle. No wonder it hurts, huh?
    A good massage will help, too. Google medical massage therapy classes in your area. Often these schools will have the students hold a (supervised) clinic and you can get good massages pretty cheap.
    Good luck!
  • ksavy
    ksavy Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    You could try soaking in an epsom salt bath. When I first starting working out 5x a week again I would soak in one twice a week. Now that I am used to it again, I may do it once a month if I am more sore than normal.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Protein. And a rest day.
  • PunchyLaRue
    Options
    Ginger is a great natural relief. I personally don't like the taste of ginger, so I take 2 ginger caplets a day when I am working out strenuously. It helps!
  • kramalicious
    Options
    Try drinking a high protein shake after you workout. Also, don't forget stretching! Be sure you give yourself time off between workouts- don't train the same muscles two days in a row. I finally broke down and had a massage and it was the best thing I had done for myself, besides working out. After the massage, nothing hurt! I let them stretch me, too. I realized my quad muscles were just too tight, after the massage therapist stretched me , I do a better job of stretching after workouts-- I actually looked leaner after my massage. And also agree with the other posters above- ice overly sore areas, then heat, and motrin if it still hurts. After a while, about three weeks or so, you don't get that crazy soreness. If you find it hard to walk, you did too much!
    BUT- when I first started working out, my quads hurt so bad that when my dog put his head on my leg, it hurt!!! ibuprofen time, for sure.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    You'll get use to it and it will subside quicker or not appear after a while

Deal_with_it_dog_gif.gif
  • tabatanut
    Options
    Congrats....sounds like you hit some muscles that hadn't been worked in awhile. That is good. I think you should go do it again....sounds weird, but when I discover new muscles that get sore more of the same excercise helps the soreness go away faster. Just make sure you are sore and not injured : )
  • demonlullaby
    demonlullaby Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone!
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy, but I love the feeling of doms!