Surgery and ways to avoid weight gain

Options
I had ankle surgery on September 7. I am finally feeling okay but was told by my doctor to not walk far distances. The metro to where I live is .5 miles and he said that was too far.

Does anyone have any good in home upper body exercises that they can share. I do not have any weights but was hoping to not gain weight or get to weak for the next 4-6 weeks.

My ankle is still stiff so jumping, squatting is out. I maybe able to do high knees but not fast high knees.

Let me know.

Thank you,
D

Replies

• Kirkajuice
    Kirkajuice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Boxing workouts?
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    How about swimming? Check with your doctor and make sure that it is OK first. Swimming is a great low impact sport.
  • dharakrat
    Options
    Swimming I have to wait till the incision wounds have healed and I can walk to the gym. But that's a great idea.

Boxing -may work but isnt there a lot of ankle movements?
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Liquid diet?

Only joking. For real though - I had a tonsillectomy earlier this year, and the only thing that helped me, until I was able to exercise, was being strict with my diet. Watched my calories and kept up with my fluids. I didn't end up losing, but didn't end up gaining. My worst fear with a tonsil surgery was that I would LOSE tons of weight then gain it all back once I could eat solid foods. I pounded that Gatorade and kept track.

Good luck!
  • dharakrat
    Options
    Totally get that. I feel like i have gained weight but I everything seems to be fitting the same. Also the anti-inflammatories and percocet for pain does not help because I think a side effect is water retention.

Good times!

I have been trying to limit my calories and think I am doing a pretty good job.

Thank you!
  • Kirkajuice
    Kirkajuice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Swimming I have to wait till the incision wounds have healed and I can walk to the gym. But that's a great idea.

Boxing -may work but isnt there a lot of ankle movements?

I was thinking more of you sitting down for it so there's less strain on your ankles, just the different arm movements. I hurt my ankle before and I just did boxing workouts while either sitting down or half squatting when it was a bit better. Still managed to get out of breath and get my heart rate up though!
  • dharakrat
    Options
    I am going to try that tomorrow! Thank you for the good advice!! An Ankle injury is hard!
  • Crosbinium
    Crosbinium Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Could you do mat pilates? I had a pretty bad ankle injury last Dec and it was one of the few things I could do.
  • dharakrat
    Options
    cool thank you!