Question for ladies that have had a C-Section

Options
Hi ladies

Simple and to the point:

HOW DO I GET RID OF MY POST C-SECTION TUMMY?

It's so ugly - is there any exercises to help get rid of it?

Replies

• AliJelliBelli
    Options
    Oo, bump, me too
  • Effpcos
    Effpcos Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I've had 5 c-sects & would love to know as well!
    Tummy tuck once at goal weight sounding like the best option at the moment. Though expensive!
  • AnahitaCanDoIt
    Options
    I went to a plastic surgeon when I was at my goal weight about getting a boob lift. After 3 pregnancies, gaining and losing 70lbs prob 5x in my life plus breastfeeding my two kids for 20mos, the girls are double hitchhiking when I'm on my back and very very saggy.

He told me (and this was for a consultation I paid for with a family friend who knew that I wasn't having surgery in the States so wasn't trying to 'oversell' me)....

The tummy overhang from a section (and I had an abdominal hysterectomy through the same scar) will lessen with exercise and general weight loss but the muscles may never be fully strong enough to make you have a strong core where you'll comfortably and effectively do abs work. This was specific to my case after a few abdominal surgeries. He said I could have a mini-tummy tuck and it might work but if I gained weight back, it would come back. A full tummy tuck w/ a replacement of the bellybutton and the bringing out of the abs muscles was way more intrusive but had longer lasting effects. If you have only a pouch there and the rest of your abdomen is fairly flat, then liposuction might be an option.

As far as the boobs, he said no matter how much exercise, healthy eating, weight loss, muscle building behind the breasts, the skin on the breasts would never go back to being firm (I'm 43) so the only option was a boob lift w/ implants. I'm currently a 34DD and if he took away all the excess skin and flabby matter, I'd go down to a 34B. (I was a 34DD before kids)...so in order to get back to the size that suits my body., I'd have to get implants, too. I might even consider some lipo on the hips, thighs and bum which have very stubborn fat pockets which do not shift not matter what form of exercise AND the texture is lumpy like oatmeal! Yuck!

So, I'm considering my options re: the rest of the body but I'm definitely getting the boobs done. He also said it's best to do the tummy tuck or any other work at the same time as the boobs as it's one recovery and one admission/anaesthetic.

Just pricing and figuring out options but I will not proceed until I've maintained my weight and fitness for six months. I was at goal weight for 18mos and just recently gained some weight which I want to lose. I would suggest that unless you are at or under a healthy BMI and maintaining it, you shouldn't consider any surgery.

Google tummy tuck before and after and you will see there are direputable doctors who will do tummy tucks on people who are grossly overweight. It's silly to take such a risk and spend so much money on a surgery that you will undo when you back to your sedentary/overeating habits.

Hope this helps.
  • wannabeafitmum
    Options
    I'd love to lose my verandah from 2 c-sections..
    But I'm not keen - or able to afford - on surgery for this.
    I'm happier to keep toning up and hopefully lose more weight and this will help me.

I am sick of it looking like I have two butts lol when I have jeans on!!
  • pinkyleigh83
    pinkyleigh83 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' tall & have had 2 c-sections, the most recent being 12/5/11. I got up to 211lbs (started at 164). With my 1st baby my stomach measured 49cm from the top of my belly to my public bone-My belly was HUGE & my son was 8lbs 2oz. I never thought my pooch would go away but it has for the most part after I lost all my weight (now at 110lbs). Everyone is different & genetics does play a part overall but I noticed a big difference once I started running. That really helped shed the fat. And typical ab exercises-leg raises, bicycle crunches etc-helped tone. Just remember to keep your tailbone pressed into the floor so your abs are engaged the whole exercise. I have some loose skin still but my pooch is gone & I thought that would NEVER go away after my pregnancies.

So I'd do cardio to shed the fat, where it sheds fat first depends on the person though, and just work on strengthening your core. Pilates really focuses on that too, the core is constantly engaged.
  • smccb
    smccb Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I had a c-section for my first. I was told it was impossible to lose the c-section belly without a tummy tuck, especially the little "shelf" that hangs over the belly button.

But I didn't want to go the surgery route, so I just really increased my cardio workouts. I did Turbo Fire (great cardio and great ab workout), I ran, and eventually as the extra baby weight came off, the belly went away - even the shelf.

I have a small bit of extra skin from my (many) pregnancies, but my abs are well defined and my tummy is flat. And no tummy tuck!

So it is possible! Good luck!
  • ABrideToBE
    ABrideToBE Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I had a C Section and even at my lowest weight (126lbs) it was still hanging :( I really don't know how to lose it except maybe surgery?
  • Janet9906
    Janet9906 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I would love to read the answers as well...my c-section was almost 6 years ago...I have lost weight on my tummy but I don't like the way I look at all.
  • BioShocked89
    BioShocked89 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I've been doing an exercise in the 30DS that Jillian Micheals specifically says is for that little pooch. You lay on the floor with your arms to the sides, make a 90 degree angle with your legs in the air, then lift the legs straight up by using the muscles under that pooch area. Seems to be working for me. :D
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I'm about 10 lbs away from my ideal weight now and I can see some hope of it disappearing... I did once go for a consultation re: tummy tuck and breast lift with implants. I'll still do the girls, but the tummy tuck is way too invasive for me... I think I'd rather just work hard to lose the last 10.

FWIW, at the surgeon I saw, a full tummy tuck with breast lift and implants (for me - they are individual quotes depending on the extent of the work etc.) would have been $15,500 plus taxes in case anyone is curious.
  • SueMizZou
    SueMizZou Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    About a million years ago i had 2 c-sections. It looked like I had panty lines in my birthday suit. I exercised like crazy but I still had my pooch. Eventually, I had surgery. My ab muscles and skin were tightened and rebuilt. It still looks great and was worth it. I had it done at a plastic surgery clinic which cut the price significantly.
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    My c-section was almost ten years ago, so maybe things have changed, because I have no idea what you ladies are talking about!
  • wheezybreezy
    wheezybreezy Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time justifying doing such an invasive surgery and risking my life, but I don't think that any amount of exercise will help. At this point, I'll just be happy to be at a healthy weight, pouch and all with sad boobs. My recovery after the c-section was really rough and I don't wanna go through that again.
  • daumj123
    daumj123 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    cesarean sections have no post rehab. Something that is very bad and create dysfunction in their entire motor ability of the human body. Every transverse movement comes from the core. A weak core is a major culprit in lower back pain that can stem into even further mobility issues. The cut that is placed is right through the abdominal erectors. Training with a knowledgeable fitness expert will allow for stabilization and then eventually strength. Aesthetics will arrive when an achieved body fat percentage is reached.
  • msmissylowe
    Options
    I'm 5' tall & have had 2 c-sections, the most recent being 12/5/11. I got up to 211lbs (started at 164). With my 1st baby my stomach measured 49cm from the top of my belly to my public bone-My belly was HUGE & my son was 8lbs 2oz. I never thought my pooch would go away but it has for the most part after I lost all my weight (now at 110lbs). Everyone is different & genetics does play a part overall but I noticed a big difference once I started running. That really helped shed the fat. And typical ab exercises-leg raises, bicycle crunches etc-helped tone. Just remember to keep your tailbone pressed into the floor so your abs are engaged the whole exercise. I have some loose skin still but my pooch is gone & I thought that would NEVER go away after my pregnancies.

So I'd do cardio to shed the fat, where it sheds fat first depends on the person though, and just work on strengthening your core. Pilates really focuses on that too, the core is constantly engaged.

Thank you for that! You have given me hope! Great job on your weight loss. WOW!
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Two c-sections here. Never got back to my fighting weight (figuratively speaking), so I don't know what my tummy will look like once I get there. So, I just consider it taking one for the team. I'll live w/ the jelly roll; no surgery. However, if all my exercise does cause the roll to shrink, I'll call it a BONUS. :bigsmile:

The real question, in my opinion, is WHY do drs. having us believing at the time, that the scar will be nice and low so that "you can get back into a bikini"? LOL!!!
  • Cassie8877
    Options
    My c-section was almost ten years ago, so maybe things have changed, because I have no idea what you ladies are talking about!

I had 2 c section and yeah idk what tummy you all are talking about.. but then again my first one is up n down n my second is below my pant line.. my stomach is not.flat but its doesnt hang over..
    But then again.i only gained 20 pounds with each kid..
  • lovelyrose11
    lovelyrose11 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I'm getting ready to have my 2nd c-section in a few months and I haven't lost my tummy from before...it did go way down though and all I did was keep a clean diet and a lot of walking!
  • CincinnatiDEIFan
    CincinnatiDEIFan Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I must have had the worlds best OB/GYN. I have had two Csections (10 and 9 years ago)....neither time did my body go into labor on it's own. My first was born at 37 weeks, and my second was born at 39 weeks.

I cannot find the scar unless I LOOK for it...and I mean really look for it. Once I get to an acceptable level of weight I could easily wear a bikini and no one would know I had a c section....

And as for the pooch around the belly button? I have no clue what that is. Even at 30 pounds overweight I don't see anything hanging down.

I guess I should thank my lucky stars?
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I had two c-sections. Both emergency c-sections. My 2nd scar keloided...but I am still able to get into my bikini. It will always be slighlty raised( there is a difference between SCAR tissue and fat underneath.) ...but am able to get (USUALLY If I am good!) into a size 2! You can take a look at my pics. C-section belly and all.