Carbs Slowing Down Weight Loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• sallydurkin
    sallydurkin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    for breakfast we do fruit and nuts... we eat lots of pistachio nuts in our house. I make a fruit plate every night for supper and then as I put supper away i take the leftovers and put them in the fridge for fruit salad, either for breakfast or lunch the next day.. topped with yoguart and hemp seeds or chopped nuts. often for lunch I have planned overs... makeing a little extra the night before and wraping it up and taking it for the next day.
  • perfect10isha
    perfect10isha Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I don't have time to cook breakfast either so I hard boil eggs at the beginning of the week, and I eat an egg with microwaveable jimmy dean sausage. Quicker than a bowl of cereal or oatmeal. You could focus on having a protein rich breakfast and dinner and only allow yourself carbs for lunch or snacks. Simple enough way to do it that can be incorporated into anyone's lifestyle.
  • shoniej
    shoniej Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    My settings are definitely right. I said I wanted to lose 1.5 pounds per week, said how much I sit and how often I exercise, and let MFP do the rest.

I think I may have to try and change it up a bit to see what works for me. My biggest worry about this is my ability to stick to it. I work full-time and have a family, and I just don't know if it's realistic for me to try and change my diet this drastically. For instance, getting up 20 minutes earlier every morning to cook breakfast is kind of a non-starter for me. I have to get up at 5:00 a.m. as it is.

I don't want to open my diary, but I can tell you on a typical weekday I eat Multigrain Cheerios w/almond milk for breakfast, an instant rice bowl w/some added chicken for lunch, and a granola bar as an afternoon snack. I do this pretty religiously. Carbs, carbs and more carbs for sure.

I eat these things because they fit into my lifestyle though. I don't have time to cook in the morning, and I don't know what alternatives there are for a to go lunch that don't involve lots of carbs. I can manage dinner, and I could change my snack as well, but breakfast and lunch are gonna be tough to figure out!

I work full time (normally 42-45 hours a week), go to school full time (12 credit hours) and have a 15 month old, husband and 2 dogs who all want attention. Best thing for our crazy schedule is I take 3-4 hours on Sunday and prep for the week. I will grill up chicken and roast veggies for my lunches so I can just grab and go! Will also make a big batch of something (quinoa chicken casserole, turkey taco meat for taco salads, etc) so we have dinner for a few nights. It's all about time management and what works for you. I can't let my lifestyle be a reason to not eat healthy. I've found that fruit keeps me fuller and gives me energy compared to a granola bar or something similar. I also boil lots of eggs and have egg whites and cheese as an afternoon snack most days.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Why don't you cook meat (dinners or lunches) at night and freeze them. Or even cook over the weekend. Protein is critical. Also, the more active you are, the more you need to eat or you will just make your metabolism slower and make weight loss harder due to muscle loss. And 1.5 lb is too aggressive or how much you have to go. And MFP is set up with no exercise in mind. So if you exercise, it adds calories which you should eat. Under eating can be a bad problem.

This!
  • jamface11
    Options
    My settings are definitely right. I said I wanted to lose 1.5 pounds per week, said how much I sit and how often I exercise, and let MFP do the rest.

Yeah, but that doesn't mean a whole lot if if MFP calculates that you'd need to net fewer than 1200 calories a day to reach your goal. Have you checked the goals page?

Hm, still not sure what you're getting at, but here's what my goals page says -

Nutritional Goals:
    Net Calories Consumed* / Day 1,200 calories/day
    Carbs / Day 165 g
    Fat / Day 40 g
    Protein / Day 45 g

Fitness Goals:
    Calories Burned / Week 1,140 calories/week
    Workouts / Week 4 Workouts
    Minutes / Workout 45 mins

Target Calories Burned From Normal Daily Activity 1,850 calories/day

Net Calories Consumed:
    Your Daily Goal 1,200 calories/ day
    Daily Calorie Deficit 650 calories

Projected Weight Loss 1.3 lbs/ week

I think what they were trying to point out is that MFP will not give you less than 1200 calories, so as u can see your projected weight loss is only 1.3lbs rather than the 1.5. For some people with a lower daily activity this may give them 1lbs or less rather than the 1.5 which might explain lower weight loss.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I have to tell you I was stuck for quite some time. I reduced by carbs and it has helped. This was something my doctor told me to do. I didn't completely cut them out, just restricted them. Hopefully this will help.

LOL, no one should completely "cut them out". Vegetables have carbs and fibre, I eat LOTS of them. There is almost no way to eat "no carb" (except the Inuit came close and they were healthy, pre-modern food era) and people like me get a bad rap because other people have the misunderstanding that I don't eat vegetables (I often eat more that SAD dieters). So, the fat and protein are most important, but keep the veggies!

I would like to point out reading something recently (article?) about how the Inuit are getting sicker and sicker the more they move away from their traditional diet and toward a Western one. I'm a firm believer that the quality of calories matter as much as quantity.

If you lower your grain intake, you'll eliminate a lot of crap food automatically. You can replace it with meat, legumes, eggs, veggies, nuts, and all sorts of other wholesome foods. Change your percentages and experiment.
  • julimonster
    julimonster Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I'm JUST SHARING my experience, this is what worked for me: I started at 204 lbs. in March of this year. At the urging of my daughter, I started a low carb diet and it worked -I lost almost 45 lbs, I would like to lose another 15. However, I have been at a bit of a plateau since late July, I've been bouncing around with a 4 lb gain/loss since then so I think my body got used to the low carbs and it's time to shake things up. I have definately changed the way I eat in that I include a lot more protien, fruits & vegs and whole foods in general. Portion control is of the essence, and for a while I DID have to prepare seperate meals from my family in order to adhere to my diet, but now my family often likes to opt for MY meals! Best of luck to you!:flowerforyou:
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I love carbs but def noticed a difference in loss when I swapped out a couple of my daily staples:

Bfast: Switched from light whole grain english muffin w/ tbls of natural peanut butter to non-fat (or low fat) greek yogurt
    Lunch: Brown Rice (reduced from 1 cup to1/2 cup and increased the meat and veggie portion) - rice has a lot of cals for what it is!
    - instead of sliced bread found Flat Out things (90 cals) and La Tortilla Factory tortillas (100 cals) for sandwiches/lunch wraps

Seems like if you swapped your cereal for something higher in protein/lower in carbs and reduced your rice you would have a little wiggle room!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I have been almost perfect sticking to my 1200 calories, exercising vigorously at least 4 times per week, yadda yadda yadda, and although I'm losing, it's a lot slower than I feel it should be. Never more than one pound per week. Often less. It consistently goes down, so it's slowly adding up, but still. My goal is 1.5 pounds/week, for a total of 40 pounds, with about 32 more to go.

I'm getting ready to turn 35, so my metabolism isn't as fast as it used to be. But I was wondering if my reliance on carbs might be the problem. I have a family who I try to eat with as much as possible (rather than making two meals), and it's unrealistic for me to stop eating carbs. Plus, I would never stick to a plan like that.

I eat cereal every morning, and one of my lunch staples is rice. It's all on plan, but I max out my carbs pretty much every day.

Could this be the problem? And if so, what in the world do I eat instead?!?!?!?!

Carbs are 50% of my calories, and sometimes I go over, to the detriment of my protein. :ohwell:

I wonder if your calories are too low. That can hamper losses and can lower your metabolism on a long term basis. I have lost 36 pounds eating 1800ish calories per day, over 200g/day of carbs, including the occasion sweet treat.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I would definitely say your calories are too low, and you're eating too many carbs.

Both times I upped my calories about 150-200 I lost weight. It goes against everything you've been told but "eat more to weight less" really is true. Calculate your BMR, and TDEE so you have a better idea of what's going on.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Haven't all the replies, but it could depend on what type of carbs you are eating. Is the cereal full of sugar? Is the rice white or brown? What do you eat with the rice.

All carbs are not created equal. If you eat the bulk of your carbs from minimally processed whole grains, vegetables and fruit you'll probably have better results than if you eat a lot of sugar and white carbs. Fiber! It's important.
  • AlyMoniz
    AlyMoniz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have been almost perfect sticking to my 1200 calories, exercising vigorously at least 4 times per week, yadda yadda yadda, and although I'm losing, it's a lot slower than I feel it should be. Never more than one pound per week. Often less. It consistently goes down, so it's slowly adding up, but still. My goal is 1.5 pounds/week, for a total of 40 pounds, with about 32 more to go.

I'm getting ready to turn 35, so my metabolism isn't as fast as it used to be. But I was wondering if my reliance on carbs might be the problem. I have a family who I try to eat with as much as possible (rather than making two meals), and it's unrealistic for me to stop eating carbs. Plus, I would never stick to a plan like that.

I eat cereal every morning, and one of my lunch staples is rice. It's all on plan, but I max out my carbs pretty much every day.

Could this be the problem? And if so, what in the world do I eat instead?!?!?!?!

Carbs do slow down weight loss. It's quick energy for your body so any carbs you eat before you exercise, your body will use that for fuel rather than the stored fat. If you try a low carb diet with lean proteins, just as chicken, fish, edamame, and quina, also, stick with whole grains, sprouted is even better if you can, and try not to eat 25g of carbs in your snacks. you should see the lbs come off :)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Carbs do slow down weight loss.

Um, check my ticker. :tongue:
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    You sound a lot like me the first couple months I started trying to lose weight.

Generally, this has been the trend, so that eventually (in the past), the loss was sooooo slow that I ended up giving up.

I have children and we eat most of our meals together, so cutting out carbs was totally not sustainable or practical. Besides, I had found out from previous experience that any weight loss due to a very low carb diet generally came right back once you started eating normally again.

This is what I did:

1.) I decreased carbs to 100 grams per day. This allows your body to get things back into balance. I had some pretty severe hormonal imbalances from 3 pregnancies and this was essential to me, although not everyone needs to do this. I gradually increased them and now on maintenance, I generally eat around 200 grams (45%).

2.) I ate MORE. MFP had me set at 1200 calories and I was working out faithfully and seeing almost no progress. A friend recommended increasing my intake. So, I started eating back most of my exercise calories to NET 1200, which gave me somewhere around 1400-1600 calories. This REALLY helped my weight loss!!! I've also gradually increased that and now eat 1560 plus exercise calories on maintenance.

3.) I made myself SWEAT (or for those "lucky" people who don't sweat, it's good to keep your heart rate near the top of your heartrate range) every workout for at least 20-30 minutes.

With those 3 things, the weight started peeling off and I usually lost 1 - 1.5 lbs. per week until I hit maintenance.

I'm not sure if that will help you since we're all very different, but maybe there's something you can glean from it! Good luck!
  • What you could do is drop your carbs down for two weeks and see what happens. Make sure you are getting lots of protein. I feel MFP sets their protein goals to low.
  • matagi2
    matagi2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    OP, your carbs could well be the problem. I ran into this recently, My car went into the workshop to get rid of some carpark dents and get a paint job. During the three and a half weeks I was carless, I walked or rode my bike to get to work - 3.8 miles each way. I lost nothing in that time, despite the increased exercise level and I was eating back a proportion of my calories burned (so I don't think the insufficient intake/starvation mode theory is in play here). When I analysed my food however, I realised that my carb intake was very high - I was easily maxing out my carbs each day. I have now modified my diet to reduce my carbs and will see what happens over the few weeks.

It is very disheartening though when you're exercising more, eating properly and the scales (and body measurements!) refuse to budge. :sad:
  • redtwiglet
    Options
    It is literally so easy to do if you just have a little change in mindset and a plan! I'm at 1200 a day, pilates is my workout, and I'm 5'5, 125lb, losing between 0.2 and 0.4 pounds per week. Just take out the carb and swap for a protein - it's still things you can buy and make easily.

Swap cereal for eggwhites. If you google "Hungry girl egg mugs", you will find tons of easily eggwhite recipes. It takes 1 minute to cook in the microwave. Making coffee takes longer!

Swap the rice bowl for a salad. Works best to have a bunch of veggies on hand, assemble the salad at night, and top with a little dressing right before eating. I usually put tofu on my salad everyday, but chicken or ground turkey works too.

Swap the granola bar (blah!) for a think thin bar. It has 230cal and 20g of protein. I keep one in my desk for my everyday pm snack.

Dinner is a no-carb zone. As everyone else has previously stated, just make some protein plus veggies. There's a ton of crock pot recipes on this site and others that can provide no-brainer and no-time dinners. I make one dinner for two people at night, he just gets a side of baked potato or pasta extra.

Good luck.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I have to tell you I was stuck for quite some time. I reduced by carbs and it has helped. This was something my doctor told me to do. I didn't completely cut them out, just restricted them. Hopefully this will help.

LOL, no one should completely "cut them out". Vegetables have carbs and fibre, I eat LOTS of them. There is almost no way to eat "no carb" (except the Inuit came close and they were healthy, pre-modern food era) and people like me get a bad rap because other people have the misunderstanding that I don't eat vegetables (I often eat more that SAD dieters). So, the fat and protein are most important, but keep the veggies!

I would like to point out reading something recently (article?) about how the Inuit are getting sicker and sicker the more they move away from their traditional diet and toward a Western one. I'm a firm believer that the quality of calories matter as much as quantity.

If you lower your grain intake, you'll eliminate a lot of crap food automatically. You can replace it with meat, legumes, eggs, veggies, nuts, and all sorts of other wholesome foods. Change your percentages and experiment.

Agreed (except for the part about eating legumes).

Inuit are getting extremely sick and it is definitely due to the sudden dietary change. They've been pushed by our health care "professionals" to reduce traditional food which is predominatly sea mammal fat and meat/fish and increase highly processed vegetable fats and grains/legumes. Diabetes isn't on the radar YET (it's coming!) because many people are still eating a lot of wild foods which help offset the new, unhealthy dietary additions. The research of Dr. Price is worth checking out. It's "old", but VALID.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    What you could do is drop your carbs down for two weeks and see what happens. Make sure you are getting lots of protein. I feel MFP sets their protein goals to low.

Two weeks is not enough. If you drop your carbs for two weeks you will naturally lose water weight. But that will not continue.