P90x-Pros and Cons?

Options
I'm a step away from buying the P90x series to work through during the bad weather/winter months. With all the variety of workouts out there (Turbofire, Insanity, etc), I would love to hear about first hand experiences with P90x and hopefully it will help me make a final decision.

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I'm a step away from buying the P90x series to work through during the bad weather/winter months. With all the variety of workouts out there (Turbofire, Insanity, etc), I would love to hear about first hand experiences with P90x and hopefully it will help me make a final decision.

I knew 10 people at my last gym that did either Insanity or P90X. They all took time off from lifting at the gym just do their video. They came back and definitely dropped weight but the also lost muscle because they were weak as **** when they came back and to be honest the weight loss didn't even look good, they looked liked skeletons. I kind of think getting into a good weight lifting plan with a healthy calorie deficit diet are more efficient and better in the long-run.
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    depends on your goals.

pro: easy for anyone to do. Can do at home. Will give results better than any steady state cardio routine.

con: EVERY actual beginner lifting template with accessory cardio will give better results. Will not build any size, just assist in shedding fat. Does not contain strength training.
  • Cappicorn
    Cappicorn Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Right now my main goals is to lose weight and tone. My only lifting "experience" is the bodypump class I take, though look forward to lifting in the future once my goal weight has been reached.
  • mirthfuldragon
    mirthfuldragon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Does not contain strength training.

That statement is simply incorrect. My triceps protest the inaccuracies of your statement after this morning's Chest, Shoulders, and Triceps routine.

I'm on day 45 of P90x, and I am enjoying it; I am down about 12 pounds (all fat, if my digital scale with the electric sensor thing can be believed), and I'm seeing more definition everywhere.

A little about me: I lost right at 80 pounds over three years, hit a plateau, spent the summer cycling and not counting calories, and decided to get serious and kick it up a notch to hit my goal weight.

Previously, my gym cycle is what I would call typical for folks trying to lose weight (as opposed to training for physical fitness) - cardio sessions and a typical set of lifts, to target all the major muscle groups. It was working, and it was working in a sustainable way.

As for P90X, one downside is that there is an initial cost in terms of materials: you will need a pullup bar, a set of dumbbells or resistance bands (I prefer the dumbbells, but they get pricey fast - try your local used sporting goods store), and I would recommend a yoga block.

P90x is hard, but not unbearably so, and there are many things I still can't do effectively. All the moves scale well, for almost any level of fitness. However, I can do things now that I could not do a month ago. It will challenge you, and if you commit to it, it will help. That being said, if you commit to anything, and focus, you will see results.
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options

That statement is simply incorrect.

I'm on day 45 of P90x, and I am enjoying it; I am down about 12 pounds (all fat, if my digital scale with the electric sensor thing can be believed), and I'm seeing more definition everywhere.

A little about me: I lost right at 80 pounds over three years, hit a plateau, spent the summer cycling and not counting calories, and decided to get serious and kick it up a notch to hit my goal weight.

Previously, my gym cycle is what I would call typical for folks trying to lose weight (as opposed to training for physical fitness) - cardio sessions and a typical set of lifts, to target all the major muscle groups. It was working, and it was working in a sustainable way.

As for P90X, one downside is that there is an initial cost in terms of materials: you will need a pullup bar, a set of dumbbells or resistance bands (I prefer the dumbbells, but they get pricey fast - try your local used sporting goods store), and I would recommend a yoga block.

P90x is hard, but not unbearably so, and there are many things I still can't do effectively. All the moves scale well, for almost any level of fitness. However, I can do things now that I could not do a month ago. It will challenge you, and if you commit to it, it will help. That being said, if you commit to anything, and focus, you will see results.
    I'm unfamiliar with every aspect of P90x, but everything I saw was resistance endurance training. Are there aspects of it that include maximal load? To note, doing resistance training and getting stronger is NOT the same thing as strength training.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

That statement is simply incorrect. My triceps protest the inaccuracies of your statement after this morning's Chest, Shoulders, and Triceps routine.

No, the original statement is pretty on-target. What would probably be more accurate is that the strength training aspect of P90X is not nearly as good as a true strength training program. It's simply not possible, P90X is primarily cardio. What type of exercise were you getting prior to P90X?

I guarantee that you would do P90X and then start a "beginner" program like Starting Strength or StrongLifts5x5 and those same muscle groups you mentioned above would be sore as ****.

The real Pro to P90X is that it will get you exercising again and WITH a healthy calorie deficit diet you will lose weight. The other aspect that the other poster and myself try to bring to light is that it's not necessarily ideal. But it is better than nothing.
  • Daisy80
    Daisy80 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I would recommend New Rules of Lifting for Women. I have been doing it for 5 weeks now and love it. I feel amazing. I have tried so many DVD's including P90X. It is ok but I found the workouts too long and Tony Horton very annoying (sorry).

After 5 weeks of doing New Rules I have lost inches already and I am eating around 1850 cals daily. I think it would be best to do it at a gym but also gives the option of doing it at home. If you search for the group there are ladies that are doing it at home with great results.

Another bonus with that is the price. The book is about £10 or about $20 on amazon and the program lasts 6months.

If you don't fancy that I would highly recommend ChaLean Extreme. I really enjoyed that program and Chalean is nice to listen to on a daily basis.
  • msafunk
    msafunk Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    From a woman's perspective, it's pretty good. You're not going to bulk up, but you will drop a lot of weight and build very lean, long muscles. It's not going to challenge anyone who considers themselves 'elite fit' but if you're looking to get into better shape, it'll be a pretty good challenge.

I would suggest that if you haven't worked out at all, and you are at the very most beginner of beginner levels (like, you can't jog a full mile, or you can't do push-ups on your knees), take a few weeks with a slightly less intense routine like Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. It'll work you up to the kind of demand p90x puts on your body.

I have a difficult time following strict workout schedules, and p90x is no exception, but I've done all the workouts (except Plyometrics because I try to not bother my downstairs neighbors TOO much), and they are effective.

PS: I'm in the seemingly minority group of girls who thinks that Tony Horton is kinda hot. He's got a really pretty face :)
  • jothekid
    jothekid Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I started phase 2 today and up till now, I love it! For pros and cons, I recommend watching Tyler Robbins on youtube...he did reviews of each workout individually as well as an overall one. Watching all those videos motivated me to get into the program! Good luck :)
  • LuluProteinFueled
    LuluProteinFueled Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    From a woman's perspective, it's pretty good. You're not going to bulk up, but you will drop a lot of weight and build very lean, long muscles.

Women in general are not genetically made to bulk up. A heavy lifting/strength training program will not make a woman bulk up. It's a huge myth that we have all been led to believe for a long time.

Lift heavy, eat lots, lose fat rather than "weight", be happy.
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Pro: it works

Con: Tony Horton is annoying as Hell!:tongue:
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    P90X generally gets high marks. I like it. But it's just CIRCUIT TRAINING. It's extreme cardio with some weights thrown in. The best results come from former football players who got fat and then lost weight. If you're skinny fat, I'd recommend a beginning weight program with a deficit for weight loss.
  • Joanbran
    Options
    Look at Rick Santorum. He looks good and he does it.
  • darjeff
    darjeff Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm starting week 3 of P90X and have definitely noticed more definition in my arms and legs and feel stronger in my core as well. Whoever it was that said P90X is primarily cardio is crazy! There is virtually none IMO. In fact, I've modified the program to go running on the days it says to do yoga and kenpo.

I've also done Insanity and think it is a more well rounded program, especially if you're interested in getting lean rather than bulking up. Cardio crazy and with strength moves added in.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    P90X is a weight based program with high impact cardio thrown in. That said, it's not a "strength" building program. It will help you lose weight and tone and gives you nice definition. If you're looking to become a serious lifter, this isn't the program. If you're looking for weight loss and definition, this program will work.

However, I found it incredibly boring. I also did Power 90 and hated that too. Tony Horton is not my favorite.

I preferred Chalean Extreme for weights (it is a slow and heavy program)--P90X does a lot more reps and the weight is slightly lower. Also, Chalean doesn't require a pull-up bar which was nice for me because my pull-up bar is not in front of my tv.

I never did Insanity, so I can't give any advice on that.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything that Jynus and JNick have said. But hey, what do I know. So, if you wanna seriously be the strongest and best looking you that you can be in the shortest time possible, check this http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners
  • The_Dude
    The_Dude Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'm another one in the camp that P90X does contain strength training. Hard core lifters tend to look down on P90X and I agree if your only goal is to increase the size of weight you can lift in the gym or increase the size of your arms to huge numbers P90X isn't the workout. It is very important to identify what your goal is with any program. Personally, I feel the strength you gain through P90X is a better real world balanced strength. Personally, sports I'd be interested in (wakeboarding, snowboarding, basketball, soccer, etc) the strength (and the flexibility) I get from P90X is far more useful than hardcore lifting.

Its all in how you do the moves. There are 3 resistance days and while a lot of the moves do rely on body weight and therefore build a different kind of strength there are a ton of moves that use weights and its up to you to pick heavy enough weights and do the lower reps if you want bulk, pure strength increases.

EDIT: check out this guy if you don't think you can build some size through P90X: http://www.teambeachbody.com/connect/message-boards/-/message_boards/message/185509329
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Yeah no one serious about sports ever did any serious barbell lifting. Olympic style lifts are particularlly bad for explosiveness on the field\court\whatever.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    It's pretty much endurance based training.

So Pros:
    if you're fat you'll probably get leaner
    you'll be able to do more pushups

cons:
    it's not a strength program. you'll get a bit stronger than you were, but you aren't gonna walk out being able to kick anyones tail.
    tony horton.
    you aren't going to build much muscle.
    squat racks > bouncing around in your living room
    DVDs are for women.....and even then, most women are lifting these days
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Yeah no one serious about sports ever did any serious barbell lifting. Olympic style lifts are particularlly bad for explosiveness on the field\court\whatever.

this.

the majority of serious athletes are doing barbell excercises to get stronger.
    not 10 pound overhead presses w/ dumbbells or bicycle kicks