all my seed eaters (CHIA/HEMP/FLAX) which and why?

Options
which ones do you eat and why? what do you eat them in? are they interchangeable? I've had hemp and flax--I'm wondering if I can just stick to one to cut down on cost or if there are properties that are specific to each of them that would make this unfeasible.

Replies

• BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Curious about this myself. Just finished my flax seeds, and thinking how small they are and how they stick in my teeth. Haven't tried chia or hemp seeds, yet.
  • jensfitpal2012
    jensfitpal2012 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have never tried Hemp seeds.I always use flax seeds,they are high in omega 3's,good for body,mind and soul.I eat them ground in a smoothie,in soups,or on salads,in yogurt or oats.
  • yecatsml
    yecatsml Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I eat Flax and Chia every day! I get the ground flax as you can't digest them whole. They are a great source of fat for me and fiber. The chia seeds make my pumpkin yogurt thick when you let it sit (the chia seeds soak up moisture) and they are very high in fiber and protein! I eat a tablespoon (minimum) of each every day. I usually get the Bob's Red Mill brand of both.
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    BUMP! I want to know too :)
  • reddingaz
    reddingaz Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I use ground flax seed in my protein shake every day & then I usually have some chia seeds in/with my yogurt for breakfast & then later in a chia fresca drink about mid morning. I tried making chia seed pudding but it didn't turn fabulous

Either option is a super easy & tasty way to get those Omega 3's & fiber.

I haven't tried hemp seeds yet.
  • emoon184
    emoon184 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I eat chia everyday and love it! It has omega-3, fiber and protein, makes me full sooner so I eat less and keeps me fuller longer. Also it helps give me energy everyday which I love! I started eating them because a friend of mine was raving about them after her mom and sister in-law had been eating them for a while. I now have three other friends loving them everyday as well! I put them in my yogurt, or salad, protein shake or water (lots of other ways to eat and drink them too)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Hemp seed is a complete protein. It has all the EFAs. It's actually a seed that you can live on, if you wanted. Buddist monks have fasted on it, eating just one seed per day. (Not for me, which is why I'm not a monk.)

Flax seed does have more soluble fiber though.

Chia does not have near as many nutrients and incomplete. Some people like the way they taste, but I like hemp seeds the best, mostly because they are the most versatile.
  • leo02098
    leo02098 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I use all 3! More so the hemp and chia seeds. I use hemp in my shakes, chia mixed in my yogurt and flax in salads as something extra. I've come to love a product called Holy Crap (no jokes!). It's chia, hemp, buckwheat, raisins, cranberries, dried apple and cinnamon. Mix it with vanilla yogurt and it's SOOOO good! A regular go to for breakfast. I feel full longer (most likely the chia seeds) and my energy levels are great!
  • reddingaz
    reddingaz Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    @leo02098 Where do you get your Holy Crap :)

I'd like to try it - it sounds yummy!
  • molly_grue
    molly_grue Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Chia is great in my overnight oats. It makes them nice and thick.
    And I just made flourless muffins with flax meal and they're pretty yummy.
    I'd like to try hemp seeds as well but so far I've just seen them at costco and it was a huge amount and not cheap.

My very, very favourite seeds are pumpkin, though. I put them in everything.
  • leo02098
    leo02098 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    @leo02098 Where do you get your Holy Crap :)

I'd like to try it - it sounds yummy!

Their website is holycrap.ca
    They have a retailers list available there. You can also order it from the site. I got mine at Nutters.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    what are the benefits of eating seeds? i'm intrigued... :smile:
  • Fat2Fit4Life
    Fat2Fit4Life Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Flax USA 100% Natural Organic Flax Cold Milled Ground Golden Flax Seed

I get mine at Costco
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I just started using Chia seeds with the overnight oatmeal and overnight oatmeal smoothies. I heard they have really good benefits like flax seeds. So far I haven't had a problem with them.
  • mpbfmom
    mpbfmom Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hemp seeds are the perfect balance between Omega 6 and Omega 3 fatty acids which are both essential amino acids (meaning your body can't produce them on its own). Seems to be the best choice.