Should I change my Ticker/Starting Weigjt

Options
Looking for input on this if any of you have been in a similar spot. I am considering deleting my weight data and starting over from what I weigh today.
Ticker says 17 pounds lost,.....but I've gained then lost ,...up and down by 3-5 pounds and did not add the gains.
Is that fooling myself ? I have re-committed to my goals this week so looking for advice on this one????
Leave it or start anew?

Replies

• lukeevans85
    lukeevans85 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Same boat.

No clue what to do.
  • dcjackson50
    Options
    Weight,....sorry for the typo. :blushing:

Lukeevans85 .......I think there must be many in the same boat,.....and I could leave the ticker as is,....just means it won't move for awhile,... I'm not at my last weigh in number,......and to be honest it was motivating to see weekly results

Unsure
  • know_your_worth
    know_your_worth Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I think I'm confused by what you mean.

If you've gained weight, did you record your new weight in? Once you do it'll be accurate with however many pounds you lost total, including the weight gain.
  • dcjackson50
    Options
    No,...I was only recording lower weights,....and not weighing in regularly,....been awhile now,....so not very accountable I know.
    If I started over with today's weight I would log weekly good or bad,.
  • HMToomey
    Options
    Your weight will fluctuate, that's normal. My ticker is the amount of weight I have lost since I started in June 2011. Between October and February of last year I had a few health scares and the holidays to contend with and gained 25 pounds. I have since lost all of that and then some but I'm not going to count it again. Just go from your starting weight to what you are now that's how much weight you have lost.
  • EquusEvanescence
    Options
    Starting over means starting from the exact weight you are at right now. So if you erase everything to start a new and your weight is not what is reflected now, then start the ticker over. Like you said it won't help you to see a number that is not true. :)
  • oker673
    oker673 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I think it would be beneficial for you to start over, especially with the re-commitment. (think of it as your new start.) Then you would also get to see the ticker move every week you lose weight as well, which you mentioned would be motivational.
  • wheezybreezy
    wheezybreezy Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    For some reason, it really depresses me, but I just go ahead and record my new "higher" weight when I weigh in. Otherwise, I feel like I'm working hard to just make up for past mistakes instead of truly starting fresh. Just went through a big cycle of gaining and losing, but I think I'm on the right path now.
  • dcjackson50
    Options
    I think it would be beneficial for you to start over, especially with the re-commitment. (think of it as your new start.) Then you would also get to see the ticker move every week you lose weight as well, which you mentioned would be motivational.

This is kind of how I looked at it too,....coming up on almost a year on MFP,.....but I'm honest with myself about not being consistent. ,...new beginnings,....MULLIGAN !!! No excuses this time,.....sometimes you just know when you are really ready to do the work and make changes,
  • NMorse1907
    NMorse1907 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    It is good to start it over. Otherwise you won't see your number going up for pounds lost and that can be very discouraging.
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I only record my losses - like you I fluctuate - A LOT! I've probably lost and gained 200lbs by now. I keep track of my daily weight in the notes section of my diary. When it goes down then I log it. Otherwise people are congratulating me on pounds I've already lost - a few times!

I also keep track in a spreadsheet to see if I can spot the reasons for the fluctuations - I can't :wink:
  • EvaB93
    EvaB93 Posts: 101
    Options
    I would start over !
  • dcjackson50
    Options
    For some reason, it really depresses me, but I just go ahead and record my new "higher" weight when I weigh in. Otherwise, I feel like I'm working hard to just make up for past mistakes instead of truly starting fresh. Just went through a big cycle of gaining and losing, but I think I'm on the right path now.

Good for you!!! Like I just posted,..sometimes you just know you are ready and serious. I admire some of my friends on MFP that joined and just went down week after week,.....I wasn't able to the first round ,......but refuse to give up
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    If you want to change your starting weight and don't know how, go to My Home, Settings, Update diet/fitness profile and change your starting weight there. If you put in your current weight now, that will reset your ticker to 0 pounds lost.

I'm all for starting over. I recently did it too.
  • tammyj83
    tammyj83 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Go with your gut, you'll be fine. You got this!
  • Canderson58054
    Canderson58054 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    If it dis-courages you- start over, especially if you've been away from a while or havent weighed in for a while. If you choose to start over, i would record a weekly weight regardless of what it says. Use the same day and the same time of day each week. I also have started doing measurements, because even if your weight doesn't move.... but you get smaller- you are still working your way to a healthier lifestyle right? :)
  • dcjackson50
    Options
    Thanks for all the supportive comments everyone!!! Helps,....I have a birthday in just a little over a month too,...so would really be motivated to try my best till then and see how much Icahn move that Ticker,....and the scale needle. Lol
  • p_s_a
    p_s_a Posts: 45
    Options
    I started over and it helped re-motivate me. DO IT.
  • dcjackson50
    Options
    I did it,......followed my gut on this one,...wish me luck,...
  • MelMena
    MelMena Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Good luck!! You can do it!! Also, hope you are feeling ok, the sickies are hitting the plant hard too dang early.