Screw what the scale says

Options

Replies

• Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    I needed this today as the scale has been really pissing me off. :)
  • o2bADyer
    Options
    I must admit that the scale has given me more confidence on some level, as does the size that I now wear. We all need something to "gauge" our success by...which in turn motivates us. Be it the scale, or the tag...whatever works for each of us doesn't need to be what works for ALL of us. Congrats to you for your success and keep on keepin' on! :drinker:
  • mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I think some people totally missed what the OP was saying. I didn't get throw the scale out the window from this post. I got that even if the numbers on the scale don't have my magic number it's more about how I look and feel. Some pals get some obsessed with the scale they don't know how to be proud of their success.
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I refuse to have a scale in my house. Weighing myself has always been counter-productive for me, personally. I go by progress pictures, measuring tape, how I feel, how I look. and how my clothing fits and looks.

I have committed myself to exercising and eating better. So why step on a scale to try to 'measure' that? My aim to become healthier and slim down will not be changing regardless of what the scale says, and by cutting out the scale completely, it has allowed me focus on how my body looks and feels. I feel more "in tune" with my body. It aids me in putting my healthy goals in clear focus and not become distracted or discouraged by a meaningless number. It reminds me WHY I'm doing this. Because exercise makes me feel GOOD…I feel stronger, more energetic, and I look before. I also know it is good for my insides and outside. Am I eating healthy and working out to see results on the scale? NO! So why track my weight like my success depends on it.

Some find that weighing themselves daily or weekly, and seeing numeric results from their hard work on the scale is what keeps them motivated. That is wonderful if it works for you. But for me? I guess my fear is, I don't WANT the scale to be my motivator. It's almost like trusting a friend to motivate you and having that friend turn around and betray you the very next day. The scale is just too unreliable for me to be a motivator. Again, I'm not saying this is the way it is for everyone. But what I'm saying is that it was a Eureka moment for me, and I acted on it by getting rid of the scale. And even my hubby, who is a health care professional asked me: "WHY are you weighing yourself? What is it telling you that you really need to know?" Nothing, really.

I love what a poster on the message boards said when he disparagingly labeled the scale as "the greasy car salesman of the weight loss world". Because it is! It lies through its teeth. It's deceiving.

After pondering all of this, I was able to 'let go' of the scale most willingly! Good riddance, I say. I find it can too easily become a hindrance and not a help in reaching my goals. I know I personally will be better off without it.

(I only weigh once every 3-4 months at a doctor's office to make sure I'm not eating too much or too little for my body weight, and also to keep my HRM accurate.)
  • HMToomey
    Options
    Love this!!
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I think you should get a freaking award for this post. Excellent job.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I agree, the scale worked when you were loosing the 65 pounds, but now your turning what you have (not that you need to loose any thing) into muscle. I am 5'8" and went from a size 9 to a size 8, but my weight doesn't change. Since I didn't have much to loose to begin with, my legs and arms turned solid. If I could only get my stomach solid, my weight does not matter! I don't even have scales in my house, they don't define your progress!
  • ceajules
    Options
    I agree I am the same size as you great post feel free to add me
  • SocWkrBee
    Options
    I am really trying to learn this...my scale hates me, lol!
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    The scale is just a number on a stupid square that sits on the damn floor all day. It does NOT define your success. I don't know about you, but regardless of what my scale says or doesn't say, I would never go around telling the world how much I weigh, but you can bet your sweet shrinking *kitten* that I'm screaming at the top of my lungs that this sweet shrinking *kitten* of mine is a friggin size 8!!

^ this just made my day!
  • timeforachange2011
    Options
    :) Thanks!
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    First off, since I am also a size 8 I am geniunely curious how much you weigh :)

Secondly, I used to be obsessed with the scale, and can't lie maybe I am still a bit.
    BUT!!!! I tried on a top on my birthday, August 11th and it was tight in the tummy.... when I tried it on 2 weekends ago (so one month later) it was a little baggy in the tummy. Now in that time I maybe lost 2 lbs, but I fluctuate back and forth so I could have been up 2 that week for all I know.

Moral of my babbling is, it is true!!! your body can change even when the scale doesn't.
  • efcdcdb
    efcdcdb Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    So why do I have pants that are an 8, pants that are a 10, and pants that are a 12 that all fit me? And why does my 55 year old BEE-hind not fit in ANY Victoria's Secret undies, even extra large high cut briefs? And pants that fit in the waist are too tight in the hips? And shirts that fit "on top" are too tight at the bottom? (is there a theme here that anyone is noticing?) :laugh:
  • Marie31450
    Marie31450 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting! This is so true! We let a number on a scale or a height weight chart define us! I'd give anything to be a size 8! But, I went from a 14 to a 12... So watch out 8,here I come!
  • Ilangilang
    Ilangilang Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    true...
  • dvcab
    dvcab Posts: 78
    Options
    Me too i think im good it goes upi fluctuate between 81 and 82 and that darn MFP indicator at the end of the day tells me in 5 weeks i will be 78 ... i think its been telling me that for a couple of months now...but im now in a size 14 i think i was a bride last time i was a 14 so that is my new goal im happy, fitter and healthier:flowerforyou:
  • 19bulldog60
    19bulldog60 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I love the scales !!!
  • wk9t
    wk9t Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Mirror/Body Fat% > Scale

Ditto!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I have to say it even though it will piss off people.

You traded one number for another. You say what you weigh/what the scale says isn't important and shouldn't define you, yet you're clinging to your size 8 jeans. The number on your pants tag is now what defines your weight/weight loss. Why not just cut out all the tags in your clothes, basically throw them away like you say to do with the scale?

THIS. How about level of health, fitness, FEELING good, or just pictures?

Posts like this make people like me, who can't really go by sizes because my hips will never be below an 8, feel like crap!
  • BonnieLouWho89
    Options
    Amen! :)