Coeliac Disease

Options
Anyone else gluten free? I am newly diagnosed and also dieting so alot of my "healthy" food had to change overnight. Any good rice dishes or other things that would substitute a sandwich at lunch would be a greatly appreciated, any fellow coeliac friends would also be great! xx

Replies

• poetictraveller
    poetictraveller Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi fellow Celiac!
    Fret not...once you get into a groove eating gluten free is pretty straight forward. Restaurants will become your worst nightmare however so chin up and start enjoying cooking! Try making fried rice with shrimp and egg, veggies the night before - but add Bragg's instead of soy sauce. I love to eat Quinoa hot or cold and it is a wicked protein too. Or bake a yam and eat with beans.
    I have to bake my own bread and invested in a bread machine which is awesome. I also make my own waffles and freeze them for quick snacks or breakfast. Check out www.glutenfreegoddess.com for lots of ideas. Good luck and feel free to message me anytime for support!
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Hi fellow Celiac!
    Fret not...once you get into a groove eating gluten free is pretty straight forward. Restaurants will become your worst nightmare however so chin up and start enjoying cooking! Try making fried rice with shrimp and egg, veggies the night before - but add Bragg's instead of soy sauce. I love to eat Quinoa hot or cold and it is a wicked protein too. Or bake a yam and eat with beans.
    I have to bake my own bread and invested in a bread machine which is awesome. I also make my own waffles and freeze them for quick snacks or breakfast. Check out www.glutenfreegoddess.com for lots of ideas. Good luck and feel free to message me anytime for support!

Just a note to clarify...."Bragg's" is a food company that makes many different food products. I'm assuming your refering to Bragg's Liquid Aminos as a substitute for soy sauce?
  • postcall
    postcall Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You can just go to the gluten free isle of your grocery store and get bread if that is what you want. I can tell you from my experience that restaurants are very tricky. But Chipotle burrito, Taco bell cantina bowl, Chinese food, potato chips, ice cream saved my life but be prepared to look at all the ingredients on food to make sure its okay. Obviously I gained weight at first because of the above sentence but there are plenty of healthier alternatives. Including my fav Shiritake noodles. Go to Celiac.com forum for tons of ideas
  • willowstregaraven
    Options
    Im a mum with 4 grown up kids
    Coeliac & Pescetarian

Just recently started MFP
    And looking for people with similar situations as me :)
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Coeliac checking in.

Welcome to hell. We have cookies. But they taste like crap.
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    you may want to consider Paleo, which is grain free.

As I know some celiacs that have gone paleo because even though they didn't have an allergy to rice, it was just easier to go completely grain free.
  • scookiemonster
    scookiemonster Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    . But Chipotle burrito, Taco bell cantina bowl, Chinese food, potato chips, ice cream saved my life but be prepared to look at all the ingredients on food to make sure its okay.

Just out of curiosity, what Chinese food do you eat? I've found Chinese to be almost impossible due to the fact that basically everything seems to be made with soy sauce.

Personally, I've found the best approach to be lots of whole, fresh ingredients. Don't start with lots of substitutes, just stick to eating things that were naturally gluten free to begin with. Fresh fruits, veggies, beans, meats, eggs, etc. are all gf and easy. Stir-fry (with gf soy sauce) over rice is easy, lots of salads (add chicken, tuna, etc. to make it a meal), that kind of thing. For lunch I usually bring either dinner leftovers or a salad to work. If you have to eat out, just read all the ingredients carefully and don't be afraid to ask questions. Also, if you've got options for supermarkets and your usual one doesn't have much in the way of a gluten free section, shop around a little. I've discovered that although my regular place had only a few shelves with not much on them, there's another one about 10 minutes away with a whole gf aisle and an entire gf freezer case. It pays to explore a little bit.